Union Bank Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness center
All reviewsmadison's grillcontemporary wingwine and cheeseboutique hotelheritage rooma la carte breakfastdowntown edmontonnext morningelectric fireplaceromantic weekendfront desk staffeach eveningcomplimentary breakfastthird floorrooms are smalldeluxe roombeautiful room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I will be canceling my corporate account at this hotel. Since they've changed management here the service has completely gone downhill. The manager at the front desk has an imperious attitude towards guests and one feels that they've been bestowed a grand favour for being allowed to stay here. Most unfortunate. I have travelled to Edmonton for five years and been a loyal client for them for many of those years - my assistant made a mistake in booking a room on the wrong night and even though I have stayed there dozens of times I was told that I would be charged regardless. When I phoned the manager to discuss this he hung up on me after raising his voice and telling me I was lucky that they even had a room for me the night I did arrive, as if I had done this on purpose!
There are many quality hotels in Edmonton - this is not one of them. I will never stay here again and highly recommend others not to stay here as well.

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Susan C
UBI-Management, Manager at Union Bank Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Susan C,

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely appreciate the opportunity to resolve this concern and hope that our conversation with you has given you the assurance that your comments and concerns are received with the highest regard.

Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to make this right and we hope to welcome you back in the future to enjoy the service you have come to expect from us.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I travelled to Edmonton on September 24 and was looking for a nice hotel. I typically stay at the Fairmont but was willing to try something different based on a recommendation from a friend. The reviews here were very good...so I expected more than what I got.

If 4 diamond boutique hotel is code for...tiny rooms, awful shower (I am 6 foot and had to duck to get wet), mediocre bathroom amenities - including a microscopic bathroom, 2 lousy bath towels, and an afternoon cheese plate delivered to my room that consisted of Black diamond cheese and a 2oz shot of wine, one corded phone not near the bed, and no useable night tables, a sheet with a bed cover and no duvet and a poor selection of pillows...then I guess this hotel is 4 diamonds.

Also, a small but critical element that separates an adequate hotel from a good or great one. There was a coffee maker in the room and a fridge. Yet there was no milk for the coffee...only coffee mate! C'mon, if you are trying to provide a unique experience for guests, how hard is it to provide real milk?

And another note...as i was leaving at 430 in the morning to get an early flight, the very nice woman at the checkout asked me if I was offered a Continental breakfast as I was leaving so early. Nope. even though when I checked in, the desk manager did call me the early morning limo, so he did know that i was leaving. Oops!

Its the little things that make a difference at this level of hotel. Without paying attention to the details, it is just another average experience.

Room Tip: Ask for one that is big enough to swing a cat in.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Matthew R
UBI-Management, Manager at Union Bank Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Matthew R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Inn, we are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay and found the room and amenities to be so displeasing. Your feedback is truly invaluable in assisting us to offer the very best in amenities, service and quality and we have taken your comments very seriously.

I am very sorry that you were not able to enjoy the complimentary a la carte breakfast and that you were also not offered a continental breakfast for your early travels. You are absolutely correct that it is the little things that count and we pride ourselves on our attention to detail so I do apologize that you were not offered this option upon check in.

Again, I would like to offer our utmost apologies that we did not live up to the expectations you had of our Inn but we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. If we can be of any assistance to you we welcome you to contact us at anytime at sales@unionbankinn.com.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night to celebrate our anniversary. The hotel is in a great location, you can walk to a number of great downtown restaurants. We had a Heritage Room and it was beautiful and clean. We loved all of the decor in the bedroom and bathroom, it was calming and elegant. We ordered the Chocolate Covered Strawberries to be delivered to our room at 8:30pm, at 9 they still hadn't been delivered so we had to call the Front Desk and remind them; they were very apologetic and we received them at 9:30, that was disappointing but they didn't charge us for them because they were late, and they were the best Chocolate Covered Strawberries I have ever had, the Chocolate was fabulous. The only negative I can say about this hotel is the amount of street noise that kept us awake, we were on the third floor, our room faced Jasper Avenue, a busy downtown street at all hours on a Saturday night. There was a construction site outside our window on the other side of the street, but that didn't affect us because there was no construction work being done while we were there. The complimentary breakfast was delicious and the restaurant is lovely. We would definitely stay here again, I would request a room not facing Jasper Avenue and see if it is quieter.

Room Tip: Our room facing Jasper Avenue had a lot of street noise, I would definitely request a room not facing Jasper Ave.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gail M
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I would highly recommend the Union Bank Inn - whenever I have to make the trip to Edmonton for business I stay with them. Exceptionally clean, quiet. The service is amazing.
The breakfast included with your room is unbelievable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Scott M
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Upfront I’d like to share that I asked for and received a discount on my final night due my inability to sleep as a result of excessive noise after midnight from a loud party in the ballroom. I felt the hotel handled my complaint properly.

I stayed in the contemporary wing. That is where their ballroom is. I could hardly hear the music, the loud, obnoxious people yelling and screaming kept me up. Some control of the party after 11pm and keeping the ballroom door shut would have helped.

The hotel is in a convenient downtown location, steps to the LRT and easy walking distance to the downtown malls and attractions. My room was a decent size, not spacious but not cramped either and spotlessly clean. There was a fireplace which I did not use, and operable windows, which I did use. The fridge and coffee maker were handy. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was modern and clean. Each evening a got a tray with grapes, 3 olives, 3 cracker pieces, a small packet of cheese and a small bottle of water. (Wine is available too). The wi-fi was free and I had no issues with it in the room.

One evening I tried to use the business centre to print something but I couldn’t get that internet to work. After trying standard troubleshooting on my own I called the front desk and was rudely told they were busy and would have to look into it later. There are much better ways this could have been handled.

Free breakfast was included. I’m glad it was free. The one server was run off her feet dealing with the guests, and managed to be wonderful, engaging and even remembered my preferences from day to day. Can’t say enough about how terrific she was. However the meals were exceeding slow coming out of the kitchen. One morning it took 40 minutes to get my food. Unacceptable. Each morning I had the breakfast steak and each morning it got smaller and smaller. The last day the steak was tiny, about the size of a small breakfast sausage.

I like to support non-chain hotels, and was drawn to Union Bank due to its creative re-use of a historic building. Too bad the nice room was off-set by so many service issues.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank wheres-fluffy
UBI-Management, Manager at Union Bank Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear wheres-fluffy,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Inn. We are delighted that you enjoyed your room and were able to enjoy some of the complimentary services and amenities we include in our guest’s overnight stay.

I am very sorry to learn that you were kept awake by wedding guests and we have followed up on this appropriately to ensure this is not repeated in the future.

Please accept our sincerest apologies regarding your experience with the business centre and breakfast. We have addressed these issues with our department heads and will ensure this is corrected as it is truly not up to our standards.

Thank you again for sharing your feedback and allowing us to ensure proper quality and standards are met in the future. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future and if we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to call or email us (reservations@unionbankinn.com) at anytime.