Upfront I’d like to share that I asked for and received a discount on my final night due my inability to sleep as a result of excessive noise after midnight from a loud party in the ballroom. I felt the hotel handled my complaint properly.
I stayed in the contemporary wing. That is where their ballroom is. I could hardly hear the music, the loud, obnoxious people yelling and screaming kept me up. Some control of the party after 11pm and keeping the ballroom door shut would have helped.
The hotel is in a convenient downtown location, steps to the LRT and easy walking distance to the downtown malls and attractions. My room was a decent size, not spacious but not cramped either and spotlessly clean. There was a fireplace which I did not use, and operable windows, which I did use. The fridge and coffee maker were handy. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was modern and clean. Each evening a got a tray with grapes, 3 olives, 3 cracker pieces, a small packet of cheese and a small bottle of water. (Wine is available too). The wi-fi was free and I had no issues with it in the room.
One evening I tried to use the business centre to print something but I couldn’t get that internet to work. After trying standard troubleshooting on my own I called the front desk and was rudely told they were busy and would have to look into it later. There are much better ways this could have been handled.
Free breakfast was included. I’m glad it was free. The one server was run off her feet dealing with the guests, and managed to be wonderful, engaging and even remembered my preferences from day to day. Can’t say enough about how terrific she was. However the meals were exceeding slow coming out of the kitchen. One morning it took 40 minutes to get my food. Unacceptable. Each morning I had the breakfast steak and each morning it got smaller and smaller. The last day the steak was tiny, about the size of a small breakfast sausage.
I like to support non-chain hotels, and was drawn to Union Bank due to its creative re-use of a historic building. Too bad the nice room was off-set by so many service issues.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Premier 4 Star Boutique Hotel! ALL Guestrooms have Fireplaces. FREE delivery of evening Wine & Cheese. FREE a la carte Breakfast. FREE WiFi. As one of Edmonton's finest Hotels in Downtown Edmonton this historic landmark boasts private meeting/banquet rooms and Edmonton's Award Winning Madison's Grill. NEWLY RELEASED KING SUITES! now available for booking! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Hotwire and Orbitz so you can book your Union Bank Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Union Bank Hotel Edmonton
- Union Bank Edmonton
- Union Bank Inn Edmonton, Alberta