“Great stay as always”

Ranked #25 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Lloydminster, Canada
“Great stay as always”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Stayed at the Union Bank Inn once again - definitely is our favourite place in Edmonton. Rooms are nice with character, downtown location handy to numerous activities, but what really sets the Union Bank Inn above others is the level of service. The staff has always been exceptionally helpful every time we have stayed here. And I don't just mean polite. Factor in that the onsite restaurant (Madison's Grill) is a fine dining location - emphasis on fine. Room rate also includes a full breakfast at Madison's - very nice bonus. Once again our thanks the the staff for making every stay special.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Absolutely the most wonderful hotel experience I have ever had. The room decor and ambience set the tone for a relaxed stay. I am now planning a week-end retreat to have more time to savour this gem of a hotel. The Madison Grill is equally stunning. Decorated with tones of art deco, your eye is drawn to even the smallest detail such as the exquisite table mats. The food was as awesome as the decor. Overall, I felt transported back in time (but with every modern convenience) - to a quieter, gentler, more elegant world, where beauty abounds and the detail and attention given to even the tiniest touches soothes you from start to finish. Incredible.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed November 25, 2011

I have stayed at the Union Bank Inn in Edmonton on the recommendation of a friend who shares the same requirements in accommodations away from home.

There are two wings to this hotel: the modern wing and the heritage wing (joined by a stairwell and each wing has its own elevator). Each room was decorated by a different interior designer and the heritage wing offers some extremely stunning rooms. Heritage wind or modern wing, each room has a wonderful electric fireplace and a few comfy chairs.

Each day, late afternoon, a tray of goodies is left in your room. It includes a small glass or red or white wine (they will ask you for your preference on the first day), a piece of cheese and crakers, a small sprig of grapes and a huge cookie. Coming back from a full day of work, this is a real treat.

The beds are very comfortable and the washroom is well stocked with all of the appropriate items you could want.

Breakfast in included and this is one that you shouldn't miss. Served in the beautiful restaurant on the ground floor of the Heritage wing. the morning meal is truly a delight with wonderful choices. Try the West Coast Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon. It's to die for. Freshly squeezed orange juice is plentiful and they will refill glasses without being asked.

The location is perfect as you are in heart of downtown and as well not far from the underground transportation system. A reasonable shopping centre is only street away.

To get to the world famous West Edmonton Mall, you'll need specific directions to get there as it is very much out of downtown core.

Staff at the hotel are terrific and Patrick (my favorite) was always most helpful and friendly.

If you hate staying in hotel rooms that all look alike, the Union Bank Inn will be a welcomed change.

Room Tip: Ask for Heritage Wing if you like room with 14th floor ceilings and old world charm.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed here for a few nights on a business trip. This is a lovely little hotel. The staff was amazing, and the room was quaint and comfortable. Such a nice change from other "downtown" hotels.
I would stay here again in a heart-beat. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who asks!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Edmonton
Reviewed November 9, 2011

I felt the need to write this review after reading the previous wedding review for the Union Bank Inn. We had our ceremony and reception at the Union Bank Inn on July 31, 2011. I also stayed at the Inn for two nights, as did my parents. My parents had some concerns with their room (maintenance issues) and were moved. These things happen. My only complaint was that the lighting in the Presidential Suite bathroom is not adequate for applying wedding make up. Again we made do and this was not a big deal.

As for our ceremony and reception, I was disappointed that the catering manager was not working as she was AMAZING to deal with in planning. I also did not have anyone introduce themselves to me as the alternate contact, however, my mom easy located someone and anything we needed that day was addressed as best as possible. The only two issues for that entire day was the room being too hot and our contract not being adhered to (we were to be asked if we wanted to supply more bottles of wine once the max in our contract was reached and we weren't asked). When we discovered the room was too hot, we asked staff, it was explained that their system was doing the best job it could. I think it had a lot to do with the fact we had about 60 candles burning in a small room in July. Lesson learned on our part. We released the mistake with the contract and the wine. The staff quickly remedied this by making additional bottles of wine available at our request.

Dishes and plates were cleared in a timely and appropriate fashion. The staff was friendly and accomodating with all concerns brought to them. The room was arranged exactly as I wanted (no small feat considering our chair covers, multi piece centre pieces, favors at each place setting, and multiple other pieces of decor and wedding accessories). We were also impressed that we arrived a couple of days before to drop off the decor and we received prompt assistance from staff in unloading our car of wedding stuff. The staff took down everything after our reception and carefully packed everything (items our guests had misplaced, left over favors, etc.). They had all of our belongings ready to go when we checked out the next morning and even had a gift for us and a letter of thanks for booking our wedding with them.

Could the service have been better? In an ideal world some small inconveniences would have never occurred. Did I have a wonderful wedding? Absolutely! I would not hesitate to recommend the Union Bank Inn for the exceptional food, thorough planning services, meticulous set up and clean up, reasonable prices, and beautiful facilities. If you're the type of person who will look for the faults in your wedding and use your wedding guests as a strategy to get your way, you would experience problems anywhere.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Syms14
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 26, 2011

SERVICE: The service was impeccable. When I called to book the room, Patrick answered the phone and was in the middle of helping another customer. He took my number and promised to call me back within 10 minutes, and actually did! (I've never had that happen before.) The reservation process was simple, taking only a few minutes. When we checked in, again Patrick was the one who helped me. Everything was in order so it took less than 5 minutes, which was such a pleasure because other hotels I've stayed at have a long, complicated check-in process.

Our room came with complimentary breakfast. When we walked into the restaurant, the server's hands were full but she greeted us and pointed us over to a table beside the window. A few moments later, she came to our table with menus and individual coffee pots, along with an apology for not being with us right away. Again, the service was prompt and friendly.

ROOM: The room was beautiful, though a little smaller than I expected. The Union Bank website photos are good, and now that I look at them again I can see the smallish room size. As another review commented, the high ceilings and windows keep the room from feeling cramped in any way. The windows are covered with generous blackout curtains, which I loved! The room was actually dark when I woke up in the morning (most other hotel curtains I've experienced are skimpy and light leaks in all around them...)

The bathroom was quite large. My only wish: that the shower had a "hotel style" bowed shower curtain. I hate it when the curtain sticks to my legs as I'm showering!

Finally, I felt like Goldilocks as I climbed into the "just right" bed at the end of a long day :)

(We stayed on the 3rd floor in a room with a similar layout to room 302 Shefield (just a different colour scheme) which you can see at the Union Bank website. Sorry, can't remember the name of our room.)

PARKING: The parking fee was $20 per day (expected for downtown), and the lot felt secure. The one thing I didn't like about it was that there was no loading zone out front of the hotel, so it took us three trips around the block before we found the entrance to the parking lot. Although the hotel's front entrance is on Jasper Avenue, the parking entrances are on the south or west side of that block. Keep a sharp eye out!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Colorado
Reviewed October 20, 2011

When we saw the name it caught our attention. What an odd name from an Inn, so we decided to give it a try. Wow. Were we every pleased. This downtown hotel simply took our breath away. It was such a nice change and we felt so refreshed after our stay there, I know next time we're in Edmonton, we'll be back to the Union Bank Inn. It's just so charming and lovely. We didn't even mind the wedding party traipsing about. We understood why they wanted to get married in such a romantic and charming place.

Room Tip: We had two rooms, one with a fire place and one without. We loved the feel of the fire place in the...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family