“Nice place to stay”

The Sutton Place Hotel Edmonton
Ranked #72 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Spent a night in Edmonton in order to catch the train. Arrived really early and dropped off my luggage to a helpful man behind the desk from Brisbane. Returned later that day to check in. Lovely, clean room with somewhat average view, but the amazingly helpful staff make it worth the stay :)

Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed July 25, 2014

Awesome hotel/ friendly staff/pet friendly we always bring our Retrievers and everyone loves them. Only a subway ride away from almost everywhere. When we stay 'we go to Rexall Place and the subway gets us where we need to be in just minutes. Love to stay here every time we come to Edmonton

Room Tip: I love the higher floors just because of the view, but the lower floors are not any less attractive
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Management is "willing and able" but has its hands full with this property. Although improvements have been made to the Lobby, hallways, and Pool area, conditions of the rooms are VERY "tired".
313 rooms and 1 elevator was working during my stay. Other guests complained of walking down 23 flights of stairs to avoid further wait. One of the 'chiller' systems was down limiting the amount of air conditioning available. Although the rooms were quiet, amenities were worn. Torn cushions on the desk chair, co-workers mattress was split down the side, and plumbing facilities were struggling.
I do applaud the Manager and the Maintenance crews for working with what the have to work with.
The immediate area is negative due to 'transients and panhandlers'. This is partially due to one of the major Bus stops as an artery out of town.
I wish the Hotel and its Management the very best. At the present time their hands are tied with a limited budget.

Room Tip: Higher the better!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2014

I can't say I was impressed at all by this hotel. The top floor pool was beautiful and the location of the hotel was great but that's about it. We were here for our anniversary but I doubt we'll be back.
Thankfully we had no issues with staff, they were all pleasant. We did not go into Chop.
It feels like this hotel is trying to be fancier than it should be. I understand that it is currently under renovations but only one elevator worked which made wait times frustrating, the daily fee for parking was ridiculous, the air conditioning was garbage which meant I didn't get a good sleep and there was no fridge in the room. They did give bottes of water but because we had no way to make them cold we just left them.

• Stayed: July 2014
Michael H, General Manager at The Sutton Place Hotel Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Thank you for your comments. We do apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay.

Our elevators are serviced and maintained by a licensed contractor to insure that they are continually operating under safe conditions. We try to lessen the impact on our guests of any maintenance issues in the hotel and unfortunately this weekend two of the elevators could not be repaired in a timely manner. We are excited to announce that the elevators are included in the scope of the renovation project currently underway.

Parking in downtown Edmonton has increased significantly over the last few years. The Sutton Place Hotel does not actually own or operate any of the parking lots and are forced to pay the same rates as the general public. We offer the convenience of being able to pay the fees with your hotel room.

Thank you again for your feedback and hopefully look forward to serving you once again.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Sutton Place in downtown Edmonton for one night in on July 10th, 2014.
From the moment we booked, we actually received fantastic, friendly service. I was quite worried after reading the previous reviews, but it seems as though the hotel staff are working hard to make guests happy. After a very late check-in, the hotel was dead silent. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the view from the room was actually quite pretty (11th floor, city view). The bathroom was updated and spotless. Little touches-- wine glasses and wine opener-- were great.
As mentioned, the hotel hallways are being renovated. A notice in the room states that the construction sound would be limited from 9-5, but there was a tiny bit of banging around between 8-9 am. Not a big deal, as we were already up and preparing for our meeting that morning.
Upon check out, the staff was, again, fantastic and accommodating.
Overall, a pleasant, comfortable stay! I would definitely recommend as a friendly, comfortable hotel in a super convenient location.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank sask1234
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed at the Sutton yesterday (2014/07/06). The room was dirty, heck there was still a used condom left inside the ice bucket. Called reception got hung up on and had to call the 2nd time and the person who answered was rude. The Chop restaurant's staff were incompetent and unprofessional. First the waitress who I asked to bring me tea, forgot my tea and when I got the tea the waiter who gave me my tea was rude he actually said when he brought my tea container and I quote " Here's your tea and I have no time to show you how to use it because we are busy!" Busy??? who are they kidding ? There were barely any people there. If you can't show somebody how to use your tea container then you should consider getting a new container that's easier to use. Besides, I told the waiter when I ordered my food to have no potatoes on it with white bread and guess what? I got brown bread and potatoes on my order which I didn't eat. What a waste. Word of advice never book the Sutton Hotel in Edmonton.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leigh O
Michael H, General Manager at The Sutton Place Hotel Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

We must apologize for the experience you had during your stay with us at the Sutton. I can assure you we that this was a unique experience and not typical of our standards. We have reviewed this incident in detail with our housekeeping team to avoid a similar situation in the future.
We have also shared your comments regarding poor service with Chop, who operate the restaurant in the hotel to review and follow-up with their team.

We sincerely appreciate your patronage to the Sutton Place Hotel Edmonton and thank you for your comments. We will continue to try and reach out to you by telephone and hopefully connect soon to hopefully discuss this further.

Sincerely

Reviewed July 3, 2014

My girlfriend and I decided to travel to Edmonton for my birthday weekend. I chose this hotel as I had stayed 4 times before on short overnight stays and liked the location. I booked the hotel for three nights and we were put on the 26th floor, which is also the floor the pool is on and had a nice view. The second morning my girlfriend decided to surprise me by ordering breakfast from room service for my birthday. She went down to the lobby and payed for it ahead of time so it would not end up on my bill. She was given a copy of the receipt, which she kept thankfully as this became a huge issue at check out with them not believing she payed, even after showing the receipt to them it still took half an hour and a bunch of phone calls to stop them from recharging me.
The worst part though was an incident that occurred on the second day there. After breakfast we went out to do some shopping and visit some sites. I do clearly remember closing the door and checking it was locked before leaving. When we returned around dinner the first thing I noticed was that our room had not been cleaned. This seemed strange so we phoned down to ask for some new towels. We then had a short nap and then stepped out to get something quick to eat. We went to the subway restaurant across from the hotel and returned to the room to eat. The day before my girlfriend had gotten a small cake and put it in the mini fridge. When we opened the fridge to have a piece after eating, we realized it was gone. This seemed very strange considering the room attendant had missed cleaning our room that day. We looked around a bit more and realized that a Pair of Bose noise cancelling headphones were missing from their case and my bag looked like it had been rifled through. I am not 100% sure if this happened during the day when we were gone or in the 20 minutes we were gone to subway. I do feel it happened during the day and we just hadn't noticed till then. I went to the front desk and got a strange reaction from the staff. The first thing they did was tell that there were no cameras on any floors. They did not seem at all shocked by this and it seemed as though this happens often. They told me the manager would call me first thing in the morning and that he would be in by 7am. By 10am he still had not called so I went down and asked for him. I eventually spoke to him his name was Cody and he reacted as though it wasn't a big deal and would let me know if they found anything. I asked if they could do a key reading to see when anyone entered the room. He said only housekeeping could do that and that the housekeeping manager wouldn't be in until the evening long after my plane left. He also told me there were no cameras. I eventually left after trying to checkout and and trying my hardest to not having to repay for my breakfast. I called the manager 3 times over the next few days leaving voice mails and never received a reply. I tried also calling the housekeeping manager and could never get a hold of that person either. A week later I got a voice mail on my phone from the housekeeping manager saying "Hello, sorry we cannot find the items you forgot in your room."

The items I lost are not a huge deal, yes a little annoying and about 350$. The real problem is the way i was treated, I was basically just told to go away, and never followed up on. When you rent a room you want a feeling that you have some privacy and can feel secure and safe. Downtown does have some questionable people around and it seems unbelievable that a 300+ room hotel has no cameras especially on a floor all guests have access to. I feel embarrassed that in the past i suggested this hotel to friends. It may be cheaper than other hotels around but the money you save may not be worth what you lose.

Room Tip: Don't leave anything of value in your room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AlDow2014

Thank you for your comments. We are sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations. We have reviewed your concerns with both the Front Office and Housekeeping teams to help improve our procedures and services delivered to our guests. It was not our intention to make you feel that we were indifferent to your concerns.

We have a strict lost and found policy in place in the hotel and all items found in the rooms are logged and stored in a secure location. All our room attendants are on designated key cards and room access can be tracked to confirm entry into the guest rooms. All guest room floors are also accessible only by elevator and only with a valid guest room key.

We sincerely appreciate your patronage to the Sutton Place Hotel.