“Absolutely Horrible... Would Not Stay Here Again Unless I Was Broke And It Was Free!”

Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton
Ranked #46 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Brampton, Ontario
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Oh goodness where do I start with this place… I was utterly disappointed.

The hotel hallways remind you of like a jail or some type of dungeon. It is quite grungy and grey and the hallways go on forever. There was a horrible musty smell coming from the grungy dirty carpets and we had to cover our faces until we made it to the end of the hall way to our room.

The rooms are extremely outdated. It didn’t bother me too much as long as the room was clean but I thought it was worth mentioning. Apparently the hotel rooms are under renovation so maybe in a year the hotel will be up to par but the rooms right now are way outdated. I didn’t like the blankets too much either, cheap and thin. Our view was the back of a car wash… Yay.

There is a restaurant in the hotel and judging by the items on the menu I would assume they would be of good quality… however I was proven wrong again. I ordered the prime rib and it was served dry. Although ordered medium the meat was extremely tough. The meat wasn’t served with any au jus, or horseradish as it is traditionally served. Once asked for some au jus I sat there with my prime rib getting cold for 15 minutes. Finally a waitress walked by and we reminded her for my au jus and she finally brought it. However it didn’t help my meal what’s so ever.

The only good thing I do have to say about the hotel is the location. It was about a $7.50 cab ride to the West Edmonton Mall which was the primary reason why we chose to come to Edmonton. The mall is definitely something worth seeing.

In the end I rather pay $15 more and stay at the holiday inn as we heard some great things about it and its in the same location. We only chose this hotel because it was $15 cheaper than the holiday inn and from the website the hotel comes off as very upscale when it definitely is not.

I would not stay here again unless all the renovations were complete, the changed the carpet in the hallways and they got a new chef in the restaurant.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank frum_ma_mama
Darrell_Pearson, General Manager at Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear frum_ma_mama;
I would like to thank you for taking the time to submit your comments to tripadvisor, regarding your recent experience with us. This type fo feedback is essential if we are to maintain the standard of excellence that we have set for ourselves.

Your disappointment in the service and the lack of attention to detail you received was made clear in your comments, and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies. As you are aware, we are in the midst of a major rejuvenation of our guest suites, Some of the features to look for in the coming months include granite countertops, 37 inch LCD Televisions, 4.4 cubic fridges and new window and bedding treatments. This will be followed up with new carpet and paint in the hallways and public areas

I have spoken to my Food & Beverage team, and I can assure you that I will be working with them more closely with them to ensure that what you experienced in our outlets will not be repeated.

frum_ma_mama, again I would like to thank you for sharing your comments with trip advisor. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to prove that we can provide you with the guality of comfort and service you deserve.
'
Your in Hospitality
Darrell Pearson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2011

I have stayed at the Executive Royal Inn located in Nisku several times and it was always top notch, so when I booked into Executive Royal Inn I had no hesitations. At time of booking I did did not look at check-in time when I arrived in the city I phoned to see when I could check in and was informed check in time was 6 PM which was disappointing. Check in was smooth staff were friendly although they didn't have our room prepared apparently because we booked online and it didnt initially appear in their system. They were able to promptly get a room and key ready for us. The hotel is under renovations which did not disturb us but is in much need of the renovations. The room we were in was very dated but clean and you couldnt even adjust the room temperature in the room. In the morning we were going to stop in for Sunday brunch but it was very bust and a long wait, so if you are interested in Sunday brunch I would recommend making a reservation. The location was great as we were spending most of our time at West Edmonton Mall it was just a couple minutes away but I would never stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Alberta
Reviewed February 28, 2011

We stayed here for 1 night last year. Seemed to be just an average hotel, nothing fancy, but not bad either. location was good, very close to the West Edmonton Mall and restaurants etc. We would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Edmonton
Reviewed January 26, 2011

My boyfriend and I had gone here for our anniversary.. We were on a budget so we had decided on this place after searching around on the internet because the pricing was reasonable. I was suprised when I had walked in.. looks a lot better inside than outside, our room was big, beds were comfy with 4 huge pillows, and was clean. It was a lot more than I had expected. The food is AWESOME! Cheap and SOO good. I was suprised for how much food they gave us as well. We were so happy with this hotel that we have already booked in for another night in February for Valentines Day weekend. Throughout my whole stay I only have one bad thing to say... when my boyfriend and I were ordering room service for breakfast the man who was taking my order was soooo very rude on the phone and put me on hold for 10 minutes after being rude, then came back on the phone to rudely tell me he had forgotten about me and that he "guesses" that he can take my order now. BUT, other than that we had a pleasant experience and the lady that we had talked to the night before for room service was very nice!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
calgary
Reviewed December 29, 2010

The hotel has great location, the lobby is very nice, the rooms, very dark, the beds are bad, and the rooms very poorly decorated. If you are going only for an night, then is ok, good rates

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 13, 2010

The room here was standard no-frills motel accommodation. The rate was $137US. The room was really dark as the lighting was very weak, so great for those that want to sleep in. There were heaps of fast food restaurants across the road (how I wish Denny’s would come to Australia). The hotel was about a 1.5km walk to the West Edmonton Mall which was a bit of an effort on the way back considering all the stuff we purchased. But we were told there was a bus and you could always take a cab. We are walkers however. We spent a day in downtown Edmonton, got there by cab and caught the express WEM bus back. The hotel was fine and met our needs, but this town is very spread out and without a car you could easily struggle from this location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Falls Windsor, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Whenever I require a hotel in Edmonton, I always stay at this hotel. The Executive Royal Inn West Edmonton has a lot to offer and not only does it have that fancy feel, but the prices are very reasonable as well.

The entrance of the hotel is very grand with an art sculpture near the middle of the lobby. The front desk staff are very knowledgable, friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand. There's always a large basket of green apples at the front desk and guests are welcomed to take an apple whenever they wish. As you walk through the lobby, near to the front desk you will a television monitor that has flight information and there is also a computer available for guest use on the other side of the room. The restaurant's entrance as well as a lounge are also located in the lobby. As you walk towards the hallway/elevator you will find a fitness center, a gift shop and a section filled with flyers on different locations and activities around Edmonton.

The rooms in this hotel are very spaceous which is a plus. I stay at this hotel with my family as well and there is no trouble with placing a playpen for an infant/toddler to sleep in. The room I stayed in this time had a queen sized bed, a coffemaker, a desk, a television, a loveseat and a plush single chair. There are large windows in each room which help to keep the rooms well lit during the day. The bathrooms are a little bit small but they get the job done and, in a few rooms i've stayed in at this hotel, the bathrooms have a few small stains on the ceilings.

This hotel is in an ideal location. It's only 1.8km from the West Edmonton Mall and there are plenty of restaurants near to the hotel too. Depending on your line of work (ie - government workers or employees of the oil sands, etcetc) you may be entitled to a discount while staying here.

On Sundays, the Executive Royal Inn West Edmonton has one of the BEST buffets you will ever experience! There is something there for everyone and includes breakfast items, lunch, fresh fruit, deserts and custom made omelettes. For the amount of food available, the cost of the buffet is very reasonable. A nice thing about the buffet is that it begins an hour before check out time so...if you happen to be checking out that day...you can enjoy a great meal before having to leave.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that wants to stay in Edmonton!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo