Executive Royal Hotel Edmonton
Union Bank Inn(Edmonton)
$139
Union Bank Inn
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreen applesteam showerwest ed mallfront desk stafftrade showwould stay here againshopping tripstaying at this hotelnice place to staybusiness or pleasurestayed here for one nightbed was very comfortablemini fridgebrunchloungeconcert
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

I was here for 3 nights. The lobby is nicely decorated, the staff was wonderful. The hallways are weird, they are concrete blocks which give a cold feeling. I was in the executive wing. The room.....very dark. Even with the lights on. They were not the proper type of bulb for that dark space. The bed was comfortable. The biggest complaint would be the noise, you can heat everything going in in the hall if cleaners are there. As well, its laminate flooring so you hear people walking around upstairs. It was decent, but i wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank kay_fitz
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed here for a night just to get away from the kids on CFR weekend. We booked in last minute no problem and the price is good for the quality of the room. We enjoyed the room and the bed was very comfortable. The restaurant service was very slow and the food wasn't very good for the price. All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Justin R
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

We ended up here after trying several other chain hotels that didn't accept cash deposits for people who don't have credit cards. The front desk staff were very pleasant and accommodating (the had limited availability but got us a room with a pull out for our son )the deposit wasn't outrageous only 100$ which is totally acceptable. The rooms were Nicely updated and very clean. Beds were comfy, good location close to the mall easy to find. We will defiantly be making this out destination hotel in Edmonton

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed March 12, 2014

We had a trip planned to go to Edmonton and visit family and do some light shopping at the West Edmonton Mall. I hadn't stayed at this hotel before. I did a quick search on Hotwire and after booking, this hotel was revealed. It had quite a high rating and the price was right, so it seemed logical. I quickly checked the web site and naturally the hotel is presented very well. I read a few reviews and see that many of those that had stayed here prior were pleased. The rating high.

Access is easy enough and there appears to be plenty of parking, which is a good thing considering how big the hotel is. Many rooms on 4 floors.

Not that it's a big deal, but I thought that the front entrance was a little lack luster for a hotel. You'll sort of see what I mean when you pull up front, under the canopy. I personally thought that the front entrance seemed too small for some reason. Perhaps that's just me.

The lobby is clean and stylish. I liked that. Check in was a snap, and you could see that they were quite busy.

After check in - we were given our keys and we started off down the hall. I have to admit that I wasn't quite prepared for the walk - but as mentioned previously - it is a big hotel.

The hallways are odd. Broken Cinder block surface throughout. TACKY. The hallway carpet... tackier. I didn't know where to look. My wife's first comments were that it felt like a prison - but less so because of the carpet that even a prison wouldn't have. There is an upside to the cinder blocks though - more on that later.

But that's where the "hallways are a little strange" thing ends. The rooms are quite lovely - well kept with nice flat screen TV's - good climate control and the bathroom was spotless. Very stylish and comfortable.

The hotel is very close to the West Edmonton Mall. (far west side near Simon's) It's approximately a 3 minute drive south when leaving the hotel parking lot.

We noticed that the hotel is pet friendly and the rooms were located in a far off wing of the hotel on the ground floor which was a great idea. Cinder Block construction made this hotel VERY quiet. I only heard kids faintly through the walls and noise was NOT an issue in this hotel when trying to relax.

There are ice and drink vending machines on each floor. And they even had a complimentary Tassimo in our room for a nice morning coffee. The only untidy thing I did notice, was that there were a lot of dishes / garbage left outside doors (quite common in many hotels) that seemed to stay there too long. We saw garbage outside a room when checking in at 7:00 PM and it was still there the next morning when we were heading out at 9:30 AM. WAY TOO LONG. A regular sweep of the hallways around 9:00 PM each night would take care of that.

And I also noticed you could exit the hotel out of the end of the hotel wings. You can also come in this way by swiping your room key. It was wicked cold when we were here, so it was nice and close to where we parked, I also noticed that they leave a room key at the exit of the wing door as well which is quick for those speedy departures when you leave.

At the end of the day - this is not a luxury boutique style hotel. They do offer a buffet breakfast for 25 dollars a person. A bit much for my liking considering the types of spreads you can get in Vegas for the price.

Overall a nice hotel and you will be comfortable here if you have your expectations set appropriately. It is a nice hotel, but I give it a 3 because it's middle of the road. Not a great a hotel, and not a poor one either. I'd have NO issue staying here again. And as a matter of fact, I'm sure I will again given the proximity to the Anthony Hendy highway and the West Edmonton Mall.

Room Tip: Once you find your room, park your vehicle closest to the wing your located in and use that entrance / exit.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Arrived at midnight and the front counter gal was very friendly.

I was placed in the new wing of the facility. The hallways and room were very clean and tidy. The bathroom was also well kept and stocked with all the usual amenities.

The only suggestion for improvement would be to update the quality of the beds and sheeting. The bed was made nicely however I found the bed a slightly on the lower quality side as it was bouncy, and the sheets were on the thinner side.

An overall okay experience for the price point.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business