“Overpriced with extra hidden costs!!!”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites
Ranked #49 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We found the Delta Edmonton Centre suite hotel overpriced with extra hidden costs.
We originally booked for two nights at $229.00 per night, however when we arrived we were told that there were additional costs of $19 per day for parking plus an extra $14.95 for Breakfast both of which we were told were included in the original price. On princible we cancelled our second evening in the Delta and stayed else where. The hotel itself is in a good location being in the city centre. Staff were freindly and the rooms were large, comfortable with cleanliness being acceptable but not great.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
ResDeltaEdmCentre, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We do take all of our guests concerns very seriously.

I would like to apologize for the miscommunication regarding what is/isn’t included in our guestroom rates. Depending on your room type there are various inclusions and we do offer some room types that do include breakfast.

Parking is a cost that we have little control over being within a mall and the downtown core but it is comparable to other downtown properties in our area.

Should you wish to discuss further, feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed October 31, 2010

Delta staff are amazing and everyone stops to say hello and ensure you are happy from the desk staff to anyone you see in the hallways. Had a good meal and a glass of wine in the lounge. If the property matched the staff this would be a good hotel. I stayed here a few years ago in a large suite that looked like John Travolta might disco his way in the door for a visit. Brash eye hurting brass and colours not found in nature. Fortunately they have tuned the colour dial down to earth tones and the furnishings are contemporary and carpets dark neutrals. Ceiling fixture in main bedroom is dated brass job from aforementioned disco era with unfrosted lamp Ow ! Dingy cramped bathroom... one must back in to the slot containing the beige toilet and the beige plastic jet tub looked old and due for the rubbish heap. Old multi setting shower head had also seen better days and dark as the inside of a cow inside the shower. Decent amenities / toweling. Magnifier mirror light burnt out and bathroom kind of dingy although counters /sink are newer and granite. King bed but beneath the level of the comfort mattresses and pillows of many hotels today. Room service tray from a previous guest was there when I checked in on Wednesday PM and still there when I left Thursday.

I am going to say a bit pricey for what you get. Qualified for Govt. rate and room was still 180 bucks + 19 more for parking in an open air parkade with no elevator and theft warnings all over the place. Lots of unsavoury looking folks (my guess was they were not guests) smoking and lurking around the front door some sitting on curbs outside. No security folks or door staff to be seen. Main Hotel entrance has a true back alley ambience. No sign saying Delta Hotel that I could see. maybe have another think on the entrance set up. Entering hotel from a parkade floor seems dangerous in a warren of dingy halls and poor signage. Uh where am I ? Malls are notorious for attracting the shiftless and ne'er do wells and I saw my share of people who should have been moved along. Be wary of leaving anything visible in your auto. Close in to everything on foot in the core so that is a plus for buisness traveler. For me not being able to see outside during the winter in Edmonton is a plus and not sure what you would see of merit anyway.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 27, 2010

It was clean, upgraded to 1 BDRM, 2 Flat screens, but the service was next to impeccable. Built into a mall with all you need and everything inn the city, like Hospitals very close by.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Not sure exactly what I expected.......I guess a really nice Delta Hotel that was supposed to be one of the tops in Edmonton.
Same thing as others - my room faced the inside of the mall ???????? I kept my curtains closed the whole time and felt like I was in a basement for two days... I was in a suite but it felt really chopped up and stuff.......just did not feel cozy.
The bathtub area was in a dire need of replacement.......I mean dire need !!!

Restaurant was good and service and welcome was excellent so I can't fault it for that.
Casino was really close if you wanted to that for entertainment.

All in all was a little let down on this property. Probably would not stay their again if it was my choice.....

Like one of the other reviewer said.....it would be nice to open up the curtains in the morning and let some sunshine in or something.......it just really felt dull and dark with no character.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to send your feedback regarding our property.

We have been undergoing numerous upgrades the past couple of years and leading into 2011 that we hope will add to the betterment of our guests experiences with us.

I would recommend should you choose to stay with us again to open the curtains as there is a massive skylight in the middle of the mall that does let quite a bit of natural light into our rooms or you could request one of our outside facing rooms for a similar feel.

We hope that you will give us a second opportunity and we wish you all the best.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I was pleasantly surprised by my room when I entered, but then was in for a bigger shock when I found out my view was the inside of a mall... I guess I should have read a little bit more about where I was staying. I guess I'm someone who really likes looking outside and it was just weird to be looking at the mall. Outside of this personal issue, the hotel was nice, well maintained. The hotel is in Downtown Edmonton - I was given this as an option that was close to the U of A campus. Anyone who knows Edmonton would know that there are lots of other options significantly closer - but I'd never really been. The staff weren't familiar with the train, but did figure it out for me and provided me with a map. Unfortunately they gave me an option that didn't feel safe and had many dark corners -wasn't much fun to walk alone twice a day for a week. I ended up finding a different route to avoid this issue.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
ResDeltaEdmCentre, Manager at Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2010

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay with us. We truly appreciate our guest’s reviews as it assists us to improve our quality of service. We were glad to hear that you were pleased with your guestroom. We do have rooms facing inside the City Centre Mall and we also have rooms facing outside the hotel. Please don’t hesitate to let our reservation agent know of your preference so we can accommodate accordingly.

Our staff are very quick to offer maps and directions to places of interest but I do agree that sometimes in a large city, surrounding can be overwhelming.

Look forward to having you stay with us again.

Rosalie Hallee
Revenue Manager & Reservation Manager

Reviewed August 9, 2010

Things you wouldnt notice at a quick glance dropping your bags off and running to the mall for a quick shop, then returning to have a relaxing hour or two before dinner will really change your opinion in the first 5 minutes of laying down gazing about the room. Our mirror had hand prints, streaks and dust on the reflection, the drapes had visible dirt smudged about. The toilet had the previous guests waste still at the bottom of it and the top of the television looked as if it had months old grime. Also by the door has some sort of red substance embedded in the carpet... blood?, dog hair on the beds.... gross; the walls have disgusting dirty hand prints. Don't let me forget when trying to sleep our fan made a non-stop broken clicking sound. Our time here was certainly unsatisfying and next time in Edmonton we will bring our very deserving money else where.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank swwwwwwww

Thank you for your feedback and please accept our sincere apologies for the state of your room. It is definately not our standard and I have shared you comments with our executive housekeeper.

We will certainly look into this and will take any steps required to ensure that this experience is not repeated.

Reviewed August 7, 2010

We got a great deal but we won't stay here until the rooms get renovated. The rooms are huge and have a modern feel, but they are in need of renovations.

The bathtub was so dirty when I rubbed the side of the tub the build-up peeled off...can we say gross. I called down and asked if the tub could be cleaned while we went out shopping but when we came back it was the same. I think they are just doing a wipe down instead of a scrub. The tubs are so old you think it's just the tub, but it's not, because I picked up some cleaner while I was out and cleaned it myself...smooth and shiny.

The beds aren't very comfortable, but it was very quiet. And the restaurant can offer gluten free meal options.

Overall I would prefer to stay at the Sutton Place, Holiday Inn Express or Westin.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family

I was disappointed to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your stay, in regards to your room condition and the tub. This has been reviewed with our Executive Housekeeper.

As for the gluten free menu option, our food and beverage Director and the Chef are aware of your inquiry and will certainly take this in consideration.

Rosalie Hallee