“Actually not that bad”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites
Ranked #49 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed January 30, 2007

Having read the reviews I was slightly worried what this hotel would be like. I stayed here for 2 nights in October and I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was huge and pretty clean the beds were pretty big and really comfortable. I only really have 2 complaints about this hotel 1. They need to find someone you can understand when you ring for room service and 2. They tried to charge me for the room which had already been paid for, however they did rectify this problem without any hassle. I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank kevie1985

Reviewed October 29, 2006

Our niece got married at the Hotel MacDonald back in June, and although I considered staying there, the reports on Trip Advisor about the drunks running the halls on weekends and some of the other reviews caused me to think twice.

Although I wanted to stay at the Westin, they were booked. So I found something that looked relatively near and of decent quality.

This place is dated, but they really are trying to pull themselves out of a rut. I just don't know if they'll succeed.

First of all, as some other reviewers mentioned, the entrance is really strange. It's a back entrance to the mall that looks like it should have dumpsters sitting around. Perhaps some planters would improve the look? Watch a couple episodes of "Curb Appeal" on HGTV. I'm sure you guys can come up with something. The minute you get inside, turn immediately to your right, or you'll miss the hotel. I walked right by it.

My flashing alarm bells went off when we got up to the floor to find our room. My husband went down to the car to get the rest of the bags. I kept walking further and further and further away from the elevators (not fun when you have MS), and when I DID finally find the room (down about three whole corridors), it was a strange internal thing. NONE of the windows in this room face the outside. They face into an internal hotel corridor. Thank God there were drapes, but the minute I walked in, I felt the most oppressive, claustrophobic uneasiness. It felt like being in a fishbowl.

The minute my husband arrived with the bags, I told him we were moving. You can tell, they try to unload these internal rooms first. They'd be better served turning them into business centers or something. I can't see how anyone could be comfortable in that room.

So we finally got a room that faced outside, but the only rooms with outdoor facing views face out onto the bus station parking lot across the street. We were ready to hunker down and watch some knife fights for our evening's entertainment.

The hallway carpet was some godawful purple and black 80s leftover thing, and the light fixtures were screaming 80s new wave relics.

Thank God the room decor had been updated. The linens were decent, as were the bathroom toiletries. The bed was comfortable and we got decent plug in internet reception.

However, I ran the jacuzzi the first night, and when the timer elapsed, it continued to run. And run. And run. We finally had to turn the breaker off at the wall and call maintenance.

They never showed up, so we asked again before we left for the wedding the next morning. They did not come while we were gone, but we came back to the room later to rest, and of course, they wanted to repair it while we were napping.

However, the maintenance staff that we saw in the halls seemed very concerned as to how our stay was going. I hated to tell them the truth.

The mall is not half bad. We had dinner the first night at the pub inside (Crown and Anchor?). The Shopper's Drug Mart came in handy for the pedicure I gave myself the next night. And The Bay in the mall just happened to be having a half off luggage sale when one of our suitcases gave up the ghost during the trip. So that was handy.

I could tell they were trying, but the truth is...this Delta needs work. I'm sure there is a reason why the Westin was booked solid that weekend. Next time I plan on booking earlier so I can enjoy the Heavenly Bed and the other Westin amenities as well.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank miselainis
Reviewed October 14, 2005

I was attending a conference and found the Delta quite nice for business travel. I didn't like the view of the mall from my room, I felt like I was in a fish bowl, but I didn't spend much time in my room anyway.

I would definitely stay here again for business but if I were staying for a personal trip I would request a room with a view of the city.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank jennrpeters
Reviewed June 22, 2005

Despite being in a mall, this was a nice hotel. The suite was huge. There was a comfortable king size bed, jacuzzi tub, and a separate living room. This was the largest room I have ever stayed in. The view from the window of the room was a large shopping mall. It was convenient to have the mall right at your doorstep for any purchases you may need to make on your trip.

The hotel was in a safe area and within walking distance of many attractions and restaurants. There was a discounted rate on the weekends as well!

• Stayed: July 2004
4  Thank Krissy80
Reviewed December 3, 2004

The Hotel is in need of a face lift. Still stuck in the 60's.

3  Thank toronto24
Reviewed April 25, 2004

AMEN! I could not have said it better. This place makes me feel like I'm stuck in a time warp. The new bedspread and art deco lamps seem like they want to run away from an environment they just don't fit into. The smell is bad, the whirlpool is bad, the view.....well doesn't exist...unless you like looking out the window and seeing closed shops...looks like cell block 9 to me. The walls are paper thin ( I can hear the couple next door going at it ) and the mini-bar is making so much noise that I'm scared to open it. The stucco ceiling and light fixture remind me of the disco days. Delta hotels are usually way better than this. This is the one that time forgot. Skip it! But don't condemn all Delta hotels.

7  Thank fauxhawk
A TripAdvisor Member
Fort St. John, BC, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2003

Finding the entrance to the hotel was interesting but after that everything was great. We were greeted at the front desk with friendly accomodating staff who payed extra attention to our 18 month old and made him feel like he was king. They gave him a good bag with toys in it which he was very ppleased with. The Suite room was very nice and had everything we could have wanted in a room (although a jet tub might have been nice). The view from the seperate bedroom was cool for it had glass from floor to ceiling in which you looked down on the open center of the mall inside. We very much enjoyed our stay there and are planning another 4 night stay there this coming weekend.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member