“Worth a second chance”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites
Ranked #50 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed September 12, 2009

I last reviewed this hotel In May of 2006, and although I didn't outright hate it, it's fair to say at the time I was less than pleased. Well readers, things have certainly changed.

In April of 2009, I made a pilgrimage to Edmonton to catch the Leonard Cohen concert (a wonderful performance, but that's another review for another site). We wanted to stay downtown, and I decided to give the good old downtown Delta another chance.

I think it's really fair to say in the past three years, they have stepped up their game. I paid a business class price, and came out feeling like I stayed at a nice business class hotel.

Gone were any issues I had previously experienced. Let's get right down to the most important thing - the room was clean. The bathroom was clean. The walls were clean. Under the bed was clean (if anyone was eating crackers this time around, the employees had found and destroyed them prior to my arrival).

The worn fabrics of the past have been replaced with plushy bedding, decently upholstered furniture, and a tasteful decor that includes nice dark wooded furniture. (Admittedly, I didn't check to see if the wood was real - but it looked good so it doesn't really matter to me).

Location wise, being downtown attached to a mall always makes it that much easier to find a coffee. And for me, being able to WALK to get a coffee is a big bonus. (Yes, there is coffee in the rooms...but I'm a bit of a coffee elitist which is my own failing, not the hotels). And although the mall does shut down quite early, it does provide a certain life to the area, and provides you with a fair amount of dining options.

The mall also has an Elephant and Castle pub that stays open a bit later (for your dining and beer needs). And, it has a movie theatre if you want to catch a show.

Now, back to the hotel - I found the Delta staff were helpful and friendly. I had no issues checking in or out. There is parking available in the parkade. I have no idea if they charge for it or not - remember to ask when you book. We got confused in the parkade and ended up paying a lot-attendant not associated with the hotel. (Yes, that was dumb, but three hours on the QE2 will fog your brain.)

But the details of parking aren't something I normally too much attention to. As long as there is parking, life is good. Instead, it's sometimes the smaller details that really matter to me. Like the June Jacobs Spa Collection shampoo and conditioner provided in your room. Or the hairdryer in the closet that really works. Or the availability of bathrobes in the front closet. For me, it's the little things that make a hotel stay pleasant, and the Delta certainly takes care of these little details for you.

I'm sure the hotel has many other amenities for you to enjoy that I didn't bother to check out. For those failings in this review, I do apologize. But, if you are looking for the latest and greatest hotel gym to work out in, you should probably find a reviewer that has seen the inside of a gym in recent history. (That would not be me).

In closing, I'd like to say that I would definitely stay here again. And the next time someone as cool as Leonard Cohen plays Edmonton - I likely will.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AB-Girl
There are newer reviews for Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites

Reviewed September 1, 2009

For the purposes of objectivity I should say now that our room was the premier 4-person jacuzzi suite, so everything I say here pertains only to that room, I cannot speak to the quality of the rest of the hotel. I should also point out that the hotel rooms were apparently renovated 3 or 4 years ago so perhaps that explains some of the other reviews.

I've read the reviews of this hotel and now, having stayed at the delta edmonton centre suites, cannot understand many of them. I suppose when it comes to hotels a lot of the experience comes down to luck but our stay here was very pleasant. The rooms were very clean and - contrary to some reviews - relatively modern. Granted, the decor doesn't resemble an Apple store but if you want that there's always the Matrix hotel and its partners. Personally, when I stay at a hotel I don't like to feel as though I'm in a lunar station from a future where Andy Worhol has risen from the grave and taken command of interior design for all man-kind. But that's me lol. The bed was very comfortable, as was the seating area, and the massaging shower was a nice touch that I wasn't even expecting lol. The bath products were excellent and the entire suite was very clean, no damage, dirt etc.

I have read reviews where people have complained about the noise of the elevators, and it was true in our room that you could hear them passing. For us it wasn't a problem, in fact I quite enjoyed the sound, it was kind of like a quiet little jet flying by, but then again I'm a 10 year old boy trapped in a man's body so take that as you will lol. Even if your inner-child is dead though and you quite detest strange noises, I would say not to worry, the sound was quiet enough to be negligable and wouldn't interrupt sleep.

Now, having said that our room itself was excellent, I must say that the dining and room service was not. When we called down for breakfast they were 'out' of eggs benedict and I don't recall there being an english muffin shortage accross the province at the time, so that was somewhat strange lol. The food we did receive was reasonably priced as hotels go, however the eggs were undercooked and my partner's waffles left much to be desired when compared to the average restaurant. In addition, the man who delivered the food to our room somehow seemed upset that we had ordered room service, as though it had ruined his day lol. The front desk staff were very pleasant though, and quite accomodating of special requets and so when I say the service was relatively poor I am referring primarily to our experience with room service.

The only other thing to mention was the coffee maker in the room, I will admit that the 'incident' was somewhat my fault, however Delta would still be facing a lawsuit if we were in the United States, so they can be thankful for that lol. When I filled the coffee maker and turned it on I had neglected to replace the lid that covers the jar, not realizing that the lid depresses a spring which allows for the water to drain from the coffee filter. Sooo, when I went to pull the jar out to pour a cup of coffee, the filter compartment came out with it and poured hot water all over my hand, ouch! So, half my fault, half the fault of the worst engineered coffee maker in the world lol.

All in all then, the room itself was excellent, however I would eat elsewhere if I returned and if you're one of those travellers who likes to be, shall we say...pampered by the staff, then perhaps this is not the hotel for you. I would definately reccomend it for anybody who wants a great room at a decent price and isn't concerned about all the 'little things'.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RyguyC
Reviewed August 25, 2009

Having never been to Edmonton during any of our regular trips to Canada, My wife and I decided to give it a look this year, if only to see the famous West Edmonton Mall. We found the city centre and its attractions so pleasant that we didnt go to the Mall, and the Delta hotel was superb. Beautifully positioned near all the amenities, with excellent staff and lovely big suites it greatly enhanced our stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2009

It had been at least two years since my last visit to the Delta Edmonton City Centre Suite hotel and I was pleasantly surprised with some of the minor, but noticeable enhancements to this location.

According to the front desk staff, the lobby area has been recently redone, giving the feel or more space. I noticed that the bathroom sink area has also been upgraded to regular "Delta hotels standard", which was badly needed. The next step in the bathroom would be to modify some of those plastics jacuzzi bath which still look ok but don't really fit with the overall decor.

This is a "suite" hotel so rooms usually feature a separate living and sleeping area. There is a plenty of space in those rooms and the amenities are quite comforable. Note that if you stay at this hotel, you may have an outside view (not much to see) or an inside view of the shopping mall as this hotel is located within the City Centre shopping complex.

WiFI internet is available and the service was fast and reliable.

The only thing I really find akward about this location is the color of the carpet and the color of the couch/sofabed. With the less than adequate lighting, this gives a very "old" look to the room, even though most rooms have been updated over the last 5 years. If management was to change these two things (which are really details) it would give a wonderful look to the room.

The reason for choosing Delta over other major chain location in downtown Edmonton is usually price as it tends to be more affordable than the Westin or the Fairmont.

Food at the restaurant is good. Morning breakfast is adequate and features an omelet station.

The fitness center features relatively modern equipment with 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals and 2 bikes (all equipped with individual TVs except one older elleptical). It also has some weight equipment. I have never found the place to be extremely busy so the above offering is sufficient

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank ottwatrvllr
Reviewed April 22, 2009

We went to Edmonton for a weekend getaway to do some shopping, watch the Oiler's home opener and visit other attractions. We got a great long weekend rate for the hotel. When we arrived, we had no idea where to park. The staff advised us to park in the parkade. The overnite prices were reasonable (I can't remember what it was), and it was easy to find a parking spot. Keep in mind that it was a long weekend, so most downtown businesses were closed. Upon check-in, the staff were helpful, polite and very friendly. The hotel room was clean and very nice. The bathroom shower and jet tub in the room could be updated, but otherwise the hotel room was very nice! The bed was very comfortable and we had a nice view with floor to ceiling windows. The location of the hotel is great, being attached to a mall. There was restaurants available in the mall with tasty food. Overall, the hotel is great, and I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cbsr18
Reviewed March 6, 2009

Had booked two rooms with two queen beds three months prior to stay. Upon check in I was told they didn't have any more suites with queen beds, would one suite with a king bed do? There was 4 of us, so we ended up getting two king rooms. Then the fire alarm went off somewhere in the mall at 6:30 am (which also goes off in the hotel). It rang for over an hour as they searched the WHOLE mall before they could shut it off. When we checked out that morning, instead of dicounting our rate because of the alarm the staff told us "yeah, that is too bad it went off." and charged us full price! Would not stay again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank metallic_daisy
Reviewed February 25, 2009

I got this hotel at an expedia rate of 124.00 for a one bedroom king suite, for us it was perfect to kick off our valentines weekend. Stayed here just the one night, room was very comfotrable, was very nice to have both a living/sitting room and then the bedroom. Both rooms were spacious and comfortable.

Hotel is located right downtown and is part of the Eaton's center mall. Lobby was in serious need of attention, looked like they had a flood and had yet to complete repairs, but the room was unaffected.

Only thing I did not like was made 2 local calls and the hotel charged me 1.47 each for them. We did use roomservice for dinner, delivered promptly and food was good. Not outstanding, but good. Overall very nice and relaxing stay. I do agree with previous reviewers about the parking, would be nice if there was a valet available to park the car and assist with unloading luggage - there is not really a good place to stop right outside the hotel - there is kind of a parking area, but it is usually jammed with cars and can be difficult to manuver. There are two parking garages right beside the hotel so parking for the final time is pretty easy and if you are there on a weekend, and not planning to in and out with the car just park yourself - will cost about $8 instead of the 20 or so the hotel will charge.

Not sure that I would stay here for the full rate, but the 124 expedia rate was well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple