I last reviewed this hotel In May of 2006, and although I didn't outright hate it, it's fair to say at the time I was less than pleased. Well readers, things have certainly changed.
In April of 2009, I made a pilgrimage to Edmonton to catch the Leonard Cohen concert (a wonderful performance, but that's another review for another site). We wanted to stay downtown, and I decided to give the good old downtown Delta another chance.
I think it's really fair to say in the past three years, they have stepped up their game. I paid a business class price, and came out feeling like I stayed at a nice business class hotel.
Gone were any issues I had previously experienced. Let's get right down to the most important thing - the room was clean. The bathroom was clean. The walls were clean. Under the bed was clean (if anyone was eating crackers this time around, the employees had found and destroyed them prior to my arrival).
The worn fabrics of the past have been replaced with plushy bedding, decently upholstered furniture, and a tasteful decor that includes nice dark wooded furniture. (Admittedly, I didn't check to see if the wood was real - but it looked good so it doesn't really matter to me).
Location wise, being downtown attached to a mall always makes it that much easier to find a coffee. And for me, being able to WALK to get a coffee is a big bonus. (Yes, there is coffee in the rooms...but I'm a bit of a coffee elitist which is my own failing, not the hotels). And although the mall does shut down quite early, it does provide a certain life to the area, and provides you with a fair amount of dining options.
The mall also has an Elephant and Castle pub that stays open a bit later (for your dining and beer needs). And, it has a movie theatre if you want to catch a show.
Now, back to the hotel - I found the Delta staff were helpful and friendly. I had no issues checking in or out. There is parking available in the parkade. I have no idea if they charge for it or not - remember to ask when you book. We got confused in the parkade and ended up paying a lot-attendant not associated with the hotel. (Yes, that was dumb, but three hours on the QE2 will fog your brain.)
But the details of parking aren't something I normally too much attention to. As long as there is parking, life is good. Instead, it's sometimes the smaller details that really matter to me. Like the June Jacobs Spa Collection shampoo and conditioner provided in your room. Or the hairdryer in the closet that really works. Or the availability of bathrobes in the front closet. For me, it's the little things that make a hotel stay pleasant, and the Delta certainly takes care of these little details for you.
I'm sure the hotel has many other amenities for you to enjoy that I didn't bother to check out. For those failings in this review, I do apologize. But, if you are looking for the latest and greatest hotel gym to work out in, you should probably find a reviewer that has seen the inside of a gym in recent history. (That would not be me).
In closing, I'd like to say that I would definitely stay here again. And the next time someone as cool as Leonard Cohen plays Edmonton - I likely will.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just 7 minutes from everything…The Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel is ideally located in the heart of downtown Edmonton within the City Centre Shopping Mall. Featuring pedway connections to the subway, 2 other shopping centres, the Shaw Conference Centre and 17 office towers the Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel is just 7 minutes from everything. Just steps away from Sir Winston Churchill Square, City Hall and the heart of the Arts District we are right next door to internationally recognized festivals such as the Edmonton Folk Music Festival, Jazz Festival, Street Performers Festival, and Taste of Edmonton. If festivals are not your thing, the same area boasts cultural locations such as the Alberta Art Gallery, Winspear Theatre and Citadel Theatre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Delta Edmonton Centre Hotel Edmonton
- Edmonton Delta
- Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel
- Delta Hotels By Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites Alberta