“in need of a reno”

Ranked #49 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
toronto
“in need of a reno”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Disappointed by this hotel. I am on the road a lot across North America. Have stayed in Edmonton many times, but usually at the Fairmont or Westin. This trip I was booked at Delta. When traveling for work and staying at a brand like Delta, you expect to be able to return to a comfortable room at the end of the day. First, the rooms offered to me had interior views of the attached mall. No outdoor views. There was a heavy perfume smell as soon as you entered the suite. It was explained that it was the cleaning products used. The first part of the suite had no windows at all. The bedroom overlooked the interior of the shopping centre. When I pulled the duvet off the bed, it was obvious that the sheet had been ripped and then sewn together. The repair job had left a bumpy seam right in the middle of the bottom sheet. Aside from looking horrible, it also looked uncomfortable. I asked for another room and was given another room overlooking the mall. This one didn't have the smell, but was really worn and tired. Old tube television, really slow wifi, the carpet was dirty and not having a window outside did not help the situation. I felt the staff really tried their best, but given the product they were dealing with, there is not much they can do.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ResDeltaEdmCentre, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing. It is my understanding that the General Manager followed up with you personally prior to your review so hopefully he handled your concerns to your satisfaction.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

They don't care anymore.! ! I have stayed there over 150 times over the past 20 plus years, both Business and Pleasure. I used to be quite happy to say where I was staying,this time I was embarrased to even invite family up to the room to visit - So I Didn't. ! ! Room had not been cleaned properly,snack food found under pull out sofa in sitting room,as well as in the corner of the room. Airconditioning not working thermostat indicated temp at 28 degrees took 48 hrs to cool to 22 degrees.
Have stayed in this particular room a number of times, I swear it is still the same furniture from 15 yrs ago,outdated,worn and stained,chipped,aged.Carpet needs replacing and room needs repainting.Bathroom walls and ceiling badly stained.Greeted by some ruffian drunks on a Sunday afternoon outside the main entrance when we arrived Mar 31/2013. NOT A SAFE PLACE. Much more negative stuff to say but on the plus side Staff tried to do all they could to make things right,very professional And polite.THEY GET A 10 OUT OF 10. Breakfast Buffett was VERY NICE. TIME TO FIND SOMEWHERE ELSE TO STAY .DISAPPOINTED TO SAY THE LEAST.

Room Tip: Try another Hotel. Seriously.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
It is always disappointing to read reviews such as yours. I am sorry we missed the mark on so many items.

Thank you for sharing.

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Brooks, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

There is no unloading zone where a person travelling alone can leave their car unattended. At 5 pm on friday, there were people in close vicinity to the mall entrance (which is also the unhandy hotel entrance) visibly drunk, drinking beer and asking me for money. I did not feel safe outside the hotel/mall. Inside the hotel, the staff were excellent. The room was OK, the room was very clean, the bed comfortable, the bathroom very dated, the bathtub was full of scratches and in poor condition. Bottom line, the bathroom needs renovations, the housekeeping staff are doing the best they can with what they have to work with, and the lack of a proper unloading area made for a mixed experience. Mall security seems lax which directly affects safe access to the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback.

We have added additional resources to the front entrance in terms of labour as well as a barrier for guests to unload in and are working very closely with the mall and the city in an effort to clean up the area.

Our challenges are not unique and are shared by almost every downtown hotel and rest assured we take reviews such as yours very seriously.

Thank you for your business.
Victoria
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Disappointed with my recent stay at the Edmonton Delta Centre Suite Hotel.
Over all it simply did not meet the Delta Standards I'm accustomed to.
Bed was chucked together each day.
Garbage pale not emptied.
Staff not happy to be there, but scripted pleasant.
My business associate felt and experienced the same.
Sketchy people hanging around out front.
Wrote a subsequent letter to the manager. Reply was unimpressive and appeared to
be a typical file response with my name inserted.
This particular Delta seems void of Energy, Enthusiasm and Great Service that
I have come to expect with this brand.

Room Tip: Really don't have any suggestions other than..... maybe choose another hotel in the downtown cor...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Truly sorry you had such a negative experience while with us. As many previous reviews will attest to our team is our best quality so I was honestly surprised to read your comments.

That said, we can always improve so I will be reading this review at our next hotel meeting to reinforce how any off moments can effect our guests.

Thank you for sharing.
Edmonton
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We stayed in the top end jacuzzi suite (I think it's the only one in the hotel) and we were disappointed. The room was out of date and in need of some renovations.

The air conditioning didn't seem to work properly and there must be an issue in the bathroom because it smelled like sewage.

Not the romantic setting we had hoped for.

I've stayed at several other Delta hotels and have always been happy. Too bad.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very sorry for the experience you had. Please let us know if we can do anything to make it up to you.
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were at the Delta for 10 days in March with a large group for the Brier. All the staff we encountered were friendly and accommodating, from the front desk, to the dining room staff, to the cleaning staff. We travel quite regularly, and have never experienced such excellent service, from ALL the staff of a hotel.
The Delta is in a good location, attached to the Center Mall. We did not have a vehicle, so can't comment on the parking.
The rooms are a good size. They are all suites. The beds are comfortable.
The rooms are ready for an update. The carpets and furniture are a bit worn. However, they were always clean.
The only complaint is that the room was too warm at night, and we could not get the temperature down.
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review.

We had a fabulous time during the Brier and wish all of you could have stayed forever. Simply one of the most memorable and pleasant times our hotel has had and reinforced to each of us that being Hoteliers, servicing groups such as yours is what it is all about.

Until next time!
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very disappointed with my recent stay at Edmonton Delta hotel. I had to change my original room due to the damp and musty stench in the room. The next room they offered had the same worn out dirty carpet and was facing the mall. Yes, no direct sunlight! Very odd set up. My request for better location with direct sunlight and non musty smelling carpet was met however now I had to put up with a room that had disgusting bathroom. Recognizing that this was a good as it was going to get at this hotel I gave up and said fine to the scarcely furnish room.
Overall the hotel and the room was like stepping into the 70's all appointed with drab decor furniture, lighting and with a very gross bathroom complete with stained tub and sink.
Parking and access to hotel was a whole other story. I had to walk through urine stench all the way from my car to the hotel. Hotel has to do a better job of obtaining parking spot that is easy and safely accessible for guests.
While I could go on and on about how this hotel does not meet any sort of standards for a Delta hotel the sad truth is this hotel despite its excellent location is in need of very urgent renovation to bring it into the Delta standard. If I was Mr. Greene (CEO) I would be make renos at this hotel a priority in an effort to save the company from more embarrassment. Even the staff are quick to state that the hotel is in a desperate need of renovations.
In any even though I am a Delta Privileges gold card member I certainly will not stay here again until the renovate and clean up their hotel
Sadly as much as I have enjoyed my stays at other Delta hotels, I can not recommend this hotel to future visitors who travel to Edmonton!
ND3000

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevator but not next to the elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
I have shared your comments with the executive team at the hotel so that they may follow up internally regarding the challenges you faced while with us.