“A little disappointed”

Ranked #51 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Grande Prairie, Canada
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had to book somewhere other than my usual hotel and thought I would step it up a notch. I went to the Delta as it is very close to the Royal Alex Hospital. It is also right by the Greyhound terminal. Walking there I was approached by people that I shouldn't be walking in that area, it wasn't safe. The entrance was very wet and unattended, not to mention secluded in a parking area. However, the service from the front desk was second to none. This man made me feel like royalty! I had my room upgraded which was wonderful. But it is older, I was disappointed to see an old yellow jet tub in my king suite. It is a little blah. The walls are very thin as I got to hear the guy next door blow his nose and walk around. I ate at the restaurant for breakfast but as a single older woman it was clear the waiters priority was the business men. Don't ask for a glass of water. Upon leaving the front desk again was fantastic in their service. Can't say I will spend the extra again there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
ResDeltaEdmCentre, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Please accept my most sincere apologies for your dining experience. I have shared it with the food and beverage director and we will certainly use your feedback as a learning opportunity.

I have also shared your wonderful comments regarding our front office team with the front office manager so that he may reward his team accordingly.

Thank you for your feedback and most importantly for your business. They are truly appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We had an overnight stay in Edmonton to catch the train to Jasper. Very comfortable hotel within the complex of a shopping mall towards the north of the city which made trip in from airport rather long. However we had an excellent dinner and it was close to railway station for an early morning train.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the positive review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and specifically the location.

Thank you for your business and I hope that you enjoyed Jasper!
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Another cold Delta experience. Arrived in Edmonton with a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius and calling for snow overnight. Didnt want to stay in an inside room (facing the mall) but wanted an outside room (prefer daylight to mall lighting). Clerk spent over 5 minutes until, exasperated, he exclaimed "are you sure you want to move ... Its a really nice room." We acquiesced from impatience. The Air conditioning was on in our room. Turned it off and turned up thermostat as it was cold. Called front desk 2 hours later when it didn't warm up. No one came. Ordered room service and they delivered cold clubhouse sandwiches (made with toast and bacon which shouldn't be cold). Complained of cold room. They summoned maintenance. Maintenance showed up with a space heater saying, "it's 20 degrees like its supposed to be." 20 is only 68 Fahrenheit. Room temp is 70-72 F. No way to turn up thermostat. Maintenance told us he'd ask his boss about turning up master unit set for 20. Well then what's the point of the thermostat if guests have no control over it?

Duvet was so thin you could see through it. All the down/filling was in a one-foot section up by your neck. Next morning when we checked out early because we couldn't sleep from being cold, clerk comped our room service and promised their hotel manager would call later that day. I left my business card. No one ever called.

Don't bother. If they're trying to save money on costs, remove the empty fridges from the room, warm up tile floors in bathroom and shut off the air conditioning when snow is in the forecast. But let your guests choose their own comfort levels.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AttitudeGuy
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. We were having temperature challenges in both the Hotel and the Mall as we transitioned from Fall to Winter settings and were not prepared for the surprise, earlier than normal cold spell that hit the city while you were here. We do apologize for the inconvenience caused.

I have shared your comments with our front ofice manager regarding your experiences with our team and he will follow up accordingly.

Thank you for your business and for your feedback. They are both very much appreciated.

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I travel for work on a regular basis and I was very disappointed with this hotel. The whole place, especially the rooms, is outdated and run down. It was clean and the staff were friendly, but definitely not what I expected for a Delta property. At best this is a 2.5 star hotel. I'll be staying somewhere else next time.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Paul-T-Canada
Thank you for your business and I am sorry that our product let you down.

We are aware that there are areas of our property in need of an upgrade however it is within the same lifecycle as other properties within our area.
Victoria
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed at the Delta Edmonton Centre Suite Hotel for a weekend away September 28-30. The lobby is lovely, and the trainee who checked us in was friendly. She did try to ask the manager/supervisor a question, and he was quite rude to her, which was uncomfortable to witness. Given the number of trainees we saw, perhaps the hotel has a high turnover?
Our room was large, but quite dated: stains in the tub, lots of dents and scratches on the furniture, lumpy carpets. The hallways are also quite old-looking, with worn carpet. However, everything was clean, and we found the housekeeping staff to be very friendly and helpful -- we ran into various cleaning staff in the elevators often, and enjoyed talking to them.
The location was great, right downtown in the City Centre Mall. We went shopping, out for dinner, and to a movie over the weekend. We really like the location for the convenience, although the downside (as mentioned by many others) is that parking -- even to check in -- was a huge nuisance. We parked elsewhere, and just used the LRT.
We were disappointed by the “guarantee” posted in the room, however, about everything being perfect, or the first night was free. Our room had only one robe, and a missing pillow. The pillow was not a big deal, but the missing robe was annoying. We did get a replacement the next day, but the attitude was rather dismissive by the front desk clerk (maybe people don’t usually use the robes?). An apology would have been nice.
We booked through an Expedia sale, and got a great deal on the room. Had we paid more, we would have been more disappointed with the dated nature of the room. As it was, we felt it was good value for the money. It certainly was not up to the standards of other Delta hotels I have stayed in; I would rate it 2 ½ - 3 stars, at most. It was not remotely a 3 ½ or 4 star hotel.
I should mention – we did plan to eat at Cocoa’s lounge, the hotel’s restaurant on the third floor. We were seated quickly, but then just sat. There were only 5 other tables, and the waitress seemed very flustered. After waiting over 15 minutes for someone to come take a drink order, we left and went to the Elephant & Castle, where in the equivalent amount of time we had been seated, given drinks, and had our order taken.

Room Tip: I do not know if there are any renovated rooms, but it couldn't hurt to ask. Premium suites are...
1 Thank travellingmuch
Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed and helpful review.

I have shared your comments with our director of rooms as well as our food and beverage director and they will follow up with their teams accordingly.

Thank you for your business and I do apologize that you did not feel you received value during your stay.
Comox,British Columbia,Canada
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel and not much has changed except the hotel is showing it's age,however the room was clean and the beds were comfortable and the service was very good.The location was good for us on this visit as we we there to go to a football game at Commonwealth Stadium and the train took us there and back and it was the first stop in either direction so it was very convenient.The hotel is in a mall which can be interesting and convenient.Good breakfast but again more specifically was the staffs good service

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
ResDeltaEdmCentre, Director of Sales at Delta Hotels by Marriott Edmonton Centre Suites, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
On behalf of our team, please accept my heartfelt thanks for taking the time to recognize our team in such a postive way. I have shared your comments with the hotel and I am sure they will be pleased to read that their efforts do not go unnoticed.

Thank you for choosing us and for your business.

Steven Walton
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I arrived, to a nice clean well appointed room. However the television was your standard twenty inch...nothing special.

I am a wheelchair user so I asked for an accessible king room, and when I used tohe washroom I was not happy with the curved bar on the wall-it made it hard to transfer to and from the "john." Also the lip on the shower, and lack of space in the shower stall did not make for a good stay. To top it off the air quality in the room was very poor, and parking was very hard on the pocketbook....

I am not sure if I'd be back...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Please accept my most sincere apologies.

I have asked our maintenance team to look into he accessible room to see what improvements can be made and would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience.