Chateau Louis Hotel & Conference Centre
  • Restaurant
  • Fitness center
Matrix Hotel(Edmonton)
View Hotel
All reviewspiano barroyal coachplenty of fresh fruitperogiesrenovated roomfull buffetquaint hoteljasper national parkkingsway mallmini vacationliquor storemain floorclose to downtownhot breakfaststayed one nightfree parkingbrunch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Had no issues at all. The room was clean. The hotel was as quiet as any other one. The location is great if you have to go to the royal alexandra hospital. Staff were pleasent and helpful. The breakfast buffet was great and the food and service in the Piano bar was awesome.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kinkle28
Reviewed March 16, 2008

I have stayed there numerous times and it has been affordable and enjoyable. Great location and full buffet breakfast included in price. I didn't consider writing this review until I was forced due to no availbility at this place to get a room across the street at Ramada Inn. What a difference.

I would recommend a lounge/restorant at the Chateau(very cozy atmosphere and tasty food).

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2008

I had to stay here for 4 nights as I had training for my job at a nearby clinic. I thought that the outside was nice...on the website picture. The room is rather dated with stained furniture and a super small bathroom. The gym was ok except my room key didnt work to get in there as well as the ones they gave me. The free breakfast was great! Fresh fruit and plenty of options. Not too amused that every morning I ate there the waitress went around and offered everyone else coffee except for me and got to me as I was about to leave. I resulted to giving myself a sponge bath as the shower not only was low-flow but was fine at one point, then scalding hot then ice cold! Another thing I was annoyed about was the fact that I specifically left the "privacy please" sign in the door everyday I would leave for work to find that my room was done up and every day I would call the front desk to complain. If I have to be flown up here again, I'm requesting to stay at another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank xraychick
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I have stayed here two times in the past month.

First stay was for 4 nights as I was taking a couple of courses at NAIT. I emailed the hotel and got a great rate for the basic Queen. I was unsure what to expect with the rooms but for the rate I was just expecting a bed and something convenient to school.

When I checked in she offered me the next room up, a renovated Queen for $10 extra, and also the King for $25 extra. I asked if I could look at the standard plus the renovated room. The renovated room was on the 1st floor and fairly close to reception, so as I was traveling alone I decided to take that. It was clean, well sized, newer bathroom with bath curtain, two sinks, good amenities. I then took a walk upstairs to look at the standard room and it too was clean, same size room, but slightly smaller bathroom, and an older tub with sliding doors. It would have been fine but I decided to stay in the deluxe room.

The hotel itself is clean, housekeeping and check-in staff are friendly. Breakfast is included but as I had early classes I was not able to enjoy it except for one weekend day. There was a range of hot food, fruits, juice, cereal, etc. Complimentary newspapers are available and Internet access is also included.

On my second stay my husband stayed also but we only stayed one night as we needed to be in Edmonton to be near the hospital as my mother-in-law was there. We also had my MIL's dog (poodle), so we got a pet room. This ended up being the standard room with an extra $5 charge. I had not traveled with a dog before so did not know what to expect of a pet room - would it be smelly, hairy, dirty?? Well, it was none of that. It was clean with no evidence of pets! Only bad part was it was on the third floor and not near the elevator so we had to walk downstairs to have her use the bathroom. And the door you exit can not be re-entered so then you need to walk right around the hotel to get back in - it was cold and snowy - but both me and the dog appreciated the walk :)

I will be returning the Chateau Louis this weekend for 3 nights as I have another course, and the rate, location and cleanliness will mean I will also return when I need to be in the area again.

Stayed: January 2008
1  Thank sjjcat
Reviewed August 6, 2007

The hotel has an old world style, from the exterior, to the lobby, with spiral staircases, ornate decorations and the lovely mural in the restaurant. The lounge has a piano, a beautiful aquarium and the rooms have that 15th century look. But, the rooms are quite dated. When we were there, they were in the midst of renovations and I got the opportunity to see some of the new rooms, which looked really well done, although losing their historical appeal.
The free breakfast was wonderful!
We did have some issues with the water temperature though, but this may have been related to the construction/renovations.

Stayed: January 2007