“One of the worst”

Chateau Louis Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #54 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The only updated part of the room was the LCD TV, but not the channels, everything else in the room was from the 70's, including the shower head and starting the morning off with a bad shower is not a good thing. The carpet looked like a cat had been biting away at it, the furniture is old and chipped, there was a burn mark on on piece and considering this was suppose to be a non smoking room...not impressive. Coffee stains on the furniture. The ironing board cover looked like it had been on there from the day this place opened. Their definition of housekeeping leaves a great deal to be desired and doubt they know how to use a vacuum. The restaurant food was some of the worst I have ever had, tasteless, greasy and the guy in the kitchen is no chef. The food at breakfast was cold, even when it was just brought out from the kitchen. There is only one elevator and it is the slower one on earth.

When I heard a staff member mention something about people going for surgery and referring to some guests as "medicals", I had to ask if this hotel was close to a hospital as it seemed like an odd thing to mention. This hotel apparently has a contract with the government to provide room/board and food for people who have come there from northern Alberta and the NWT to see doctors/have medical procedures since they do not have access to doctors. They receive a $12 lunch and a $20 dinner voucher, restaurant staff are not tipped, which is not fair to the staff. I'd like to know how much of the tax payers money is part of the contract since anything the government runs involves tax payers money. This hotel does not cater to the business traveller in any shape or form, nor do they have any interest in doing so or the place wouldn't look like it does.

At $154/night, it was $104 too much a night. For a mojor city in Canada to have a hotel that is in this kind of shape is mind blowing, there are small towns that have nicer places to stay. The people who thought it was great obviously do not travel much or have never stayed at a real hotel. In the past four years of constant coast to coast travel, this one of two worst places I have stayed in this country. The front desk staff didn't even ask how my stay was, it was almost like they know it is a crappy place and can't handle the feedback, so they just don't ask.

The only good things were, that I got some sleep and the parking was free.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Frequentflyer751

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Hotel is mid-size yet you get a small quaint hotel feel. It is a unique place to stay and is in the process of some renovations. The staff is extremely helpful. Restaurant and bar both serve up very good food. Quite a distance from the airport though. I would definitely stay here again. Very reasonably priced especially for the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Houstonian2011
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here just overnight so I could be at the hospital early next morning. We stayed in the standard queen room, it was very dirty. I would not bring my child here. I just peaked in at the piano bar and it was beautiful! I wish we could have tried it out.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Kali1981
Reviewed October 1, 2012

On September 29, 2012, my husband & I were married. It was a small, intimate family wedding (45 guests) and we were married and had the dinner & dance in the Commercial Room. The lady I worked with to help put this all together is named Rosie. She is FANTASTIC! Every request I made was seen to. Rosie went above & beyond when it came to the menu (food allergies in our family). Thank you Rosie. On the night of the rehearsal, one table wasn't were I wanted it to be and a wonderful gentleman named Nigel immediately (and I mean immediately) moved it where I wanted it. Nigel made sure everything was perfect. Thank you Nigel. The room was beautifully set up for us. The dinner (buffet) was beyond our expectations. Every one of our guests raved about the food. Our compliments and our gratitude to the chef!!! The staff that served our head table were also wonderful. They were right on top of everything, always smiling, always pleasant. Thank you. Our bartender, Jill, was sweet and kind and always smiling. She helped me so much at the end of the evening, helping to pack up our cake and finding us boxes to pack up all that we needed to. Thank you Jill.
The Chateau Louis, Rosie, Nigel, Jill, the chef (I'm sorry I didn't get her name) and all the serving staff made our special day & evening perfect for us. Thank you all so much.
My husband and I chose to spend our wedding night in our own home but some of our guests had rooms for the evening. They all told us how clean, comfortable and very affordable your rooms are. We thank you for making their stay so pleasant.
We would recommend the Chateau Louis to anyone, any time, for any occasion.
Len & Twyla Menzie

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank LMenzie
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The place looks like a Disneyland display with its Chateau exterior but don't be fooled. The hotel rooms are spacious and clean and priced right. Ask for rooms facing parking lot as they're quieter. Food alone worth a stay and breakfast is included. Good centralized location

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank AlbertaBushman
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in a Renovated Room with King bed. Room is clean and nicely appointed. There is a fridge in the room, which is great.

Hot breakfast buffet is included in room price. You can have waffles, cereals, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, french toast, and some fruits. I like the waffles, but I found the bacon to be too salty.

The staff are very helpful.

Right next door there's a Superstore and a Starbucks. Very convenient.

Room Tip: Ask for Renovated Room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mariatta W
Reviewed May 28, 2012

we recently stayed at the chateau Louis for our wedding night. Overall it was great, but there was still room for improvement We had one of the large Jacuzzi suites, and were impressed with it other than the strong smell of smoke when we walked in.The jacuzzi was great, the lights (dimmers and such) are great (actually surprisingly important to the mood), bathroom was well equiped and quite up to date. Some of the furniture did have wear and tear, but that's to be expected. One thing we really weren't impressed with was the food. we had room service brought up one night and, while it was prompt, the food itself was just mediocre. Breakfast the next morning wasn't much better. Food was alright, coffee was watered down, etc. We also don't feel we got any special treatment even though it was such a special occasion and it was requested.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple