“Better this Time!”

Ranked #57 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Moose Jaw, Canada
“Better this Time!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Great quiet place when on business, not many kids running around the halls. If any problems the front desk is quick to deal with them. Breakfast was much better this time as was not too fresh on prior visit. Perfect place if going to West Edmonton Mall, or anywhere really. Very friendly staff.

Room Tip: Try for free upgrade
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Huntlg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Whitecourt, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stay here often and are always pleased with this hotel. The location is very convienient with easy access to West Edmonton Mall and many great restaurants. The continental breakfast is very comparible to other hotels. Rooms are spacious and clean whether we are with our children in the 2 Queens or without our children in the 1 king rooms. The pool is well maintained and my kids enjoy it very much. I will continue staying here when in West Edmonton.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank snowgirl55
Abbotsford, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed at this property for 2 nights because of the close proximity to the West Edmonton Mall.
It is definitely not up to the standard of other Holiday Inn Express hotels we have stayed at.
We booked a queen suite, and found the living room very sparse. The cover on the pull-out sofa was old and stained. The mattress was terrible. It was extremely thin and worn, with the springs poking through, very uncomfortable to sleep on. All the pillows were old and flattened.
The breakfast was ok, but not great. The pool area was a positive, though.
The single elevator was really slow. We were on the fourth floor, so spent way too much time waiting it.
For nearly $200 per night, the room was definitely not worth it. We will not return to this property in the future. If you have a vehicle, you are best to stay a bit further away from the Mall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Katnelsen
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear RonandKat,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience over the mattress and the pillows. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. Kindly be assured that all your comments are being reviewed by the management and actions will be taken accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.
Emerald Park, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights as it was a special July long weekend celebrating a family wedding. Location was good, but GM management service of the hotel was terrible.
Night staff was very good, arriving at 1:30am, but got to a suite that was 81C degrees. Got up and down all night turning AC unit off and on (once I found the switch by the plugin to turn it on - although no controls would work so it was full blast or off). In the morning found a wall thermostat and light switch under it. The switch (turned off) turned out to be for the thermostat (having labels on the switch and AC would be helpful and necessary). Left the room for the day with AC on thinking it would get/keep the room cool. Came back at 930pm and room was again +81C degrees with no AC running. Maintenance had gone home for the day so we tried to get the AC to turn back on ourselves. After 3 cycles the AC wouldn't turn on so room temp was going up 1 degree every half hour. Front desk and maintenance was very good (coming out in middle of night and replacing the AC unit - finishing up at 2am) as there were no other rooms to be had and it was impossible to sleep in that heat. 2 of the 4 nights were terrible sleeps because of this. Also found that our phone by the beds didn't work (found it unplugged), but still wouldn't work after plugged it in. Maintenance had to come up and fix that too. Breakfast was average, but one morning had trays of moldy cinnamon buns (likely because of sweltering heat throughout the building) and it took days to get that taste out of my mouth.
After all this, when I got the bill there was no mention or apology for the troubles we had. At checkout I asked to speak to management to discuss our stay, but he was no where to be found and no one in charge. Front desk called him (he was away for the long weekend), but he refused to talk to me. Front desk did all they could (don't fault them) and gave me their token price adjustment (all they had the authority to do). I left my contact info and asked to have the GM call me to discuss our experience and my displeasure with management service (not even a followup after the major AC problems to see if things were working fine). I'm still waiting and its been a week (no email or phone call).
The staff at the hotel provided the best service they could with a smile on their face (don't fault any of them), but the lack of management put them in a bad position. This location is poorly managed and GM provided terrible service. For that, I can't recommend this hotel and would not stay here again until management improved and overall hotel temperature issues were addressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Proud2BCdn_5
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Proud2BCdn_5,

Let me first thank you for choosing our hotel during your recent visit. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer and comments from our guests are always welcome. It was unfortunate to see your stay was not as comfortable as it could have been. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen C
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Hotel locates more than 2 KM from West Edmonton Mall. Stay experience was about average with daily hot breakfast included, although in room decor / sheets and towels were dated. Overpriced, will pick others next trip.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DealsFinders
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear DealsFinders,

Thank you for writing us a review. We appreciate all feedback we receive and use it to help develop the product and the service we offer.

Regarding our room rates, we make sure that we remain competitive with other hotels in the area and I am truly sorry if you found our rates to be expensive.

We hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back so we can show you how great our hotel is.

Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed in a Kids Suite. Set up was all right, although it is silly that the bathroom sink area is outside the toilet area AND in the kids room so that they are disturbed every time someone gets up to use the washroom. There was also a slightly funky smell throughout. Unfortunately, my entire experience was ruined by the poor treatment I got from the housekeeping staff. I left behind a bottle of prescription medicine (replaceable, so no big deal) and a very expensive dental guard. I knew EXACTLY where I left them, and called very soon after we left - I got transferred to housekeeping. Over and over again. They never called back. Consider that since we'd only left within the hour, they might not have even cleaned the room yet, and there was plenty of time to find my missing items. Anyway, I went up the chain of command in emails and finally got a response today (2 days later) that they didn't "find" anything. So clearly - they just found them and threw them out. I have no way to prove this, although I know full well that is what happened - but I'm disgusted with the total lack or responsiveness and will NEVER stay in this - or probably any other - Holiday Inn again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank DizzzyWhirled
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Dear DizzzyWhirled,

Thank you for posting your comments.

I am so disppointed to hear about your negative experience with us. Our aim has always been to provide every guest the highest level of service and customer care and I deeply regret that on this occasion, we have failed to deliver. I apologize for any inconvenience our staff has caused you and I am truly sorry if you were not able to retrieve the items you have left in our hotel.

Your comments will be certainly looked into by the hotel's management. We hope that you would still consider us should you return to Edmonton and allow us to redeem your faith in our guest services.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here for one night over the May long weekend.

Pros:
-Close to West Edmonton Mall.
-Front desk was very friendly and helpful.

Cons:
-Outdated.
-Rooms are extremely hideous.
-Half of the power outlets did not work in our room.
-Slowest elevator in the world
-According to my girlfriend, the bed was very uncomfortable. It was ok by my standards.

Cannot comment on the breakfast as I slept through it.

I got charged close to $160.00 for the night. Definetly not worth the price. Go elswhere.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dbag23
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Dbag23,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. I am pleased that you found our front desk to be friendly and helpful.

However, I am truly sorry about your troubles with the room. I apologize if you didn't find some of the items functional and if you didn't find them to your liking. We aim to provide the best accommodation and we regret that we were not able to deliver this to you.

Again, thank you for your comments and will be used for future upgrades. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.