“Room layout annoying”

Ramada Edmonton West
Ranked #58 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Travelling with colleague. We got a room with 2 queen beds.

The room had the toilet and tub in one tiny room and the sink was out in the front entrance of the room. The sink counter was tiny with a coffee service on one side and the usual hotel free stuff on the other side. There was barely room for more than a hair brush. Never mind having room for toiletries for 2 women, even low maintenance ones.

If you are traveling alone I guess it would be fine, but then why have a room with 2 beds.
The toilet/ tub room was VERY small. Barely room to turn around. Again fine if you are traveling alone. I often travel with family members and I still would have been annoyed by this layout. Traveling with a colleague made this even more uncomfortable.

The AC/Heating system was REALLY loud and the shower was clogged or something because what I got was not a spray but more of a waterfall (more like turning on a tap) trying to change the spray did not work.

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable and had sufficient bedding etc.

The complimentary breakfast was sufficient and had lots of selection of both hot and cold food and beverages.

I would not stay in this hotel again unless I was traveling solo. Actually probably not even then. The small bath room was claustrophobic and the small counter was annoying. Somehow I hate making coffee beside my hairbrush. I know I could have complained about the shower but by then I was so annoyed that I couldn't be bothered.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Ramada Edmonton West, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

CanadianWomanAbroad,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave us a candid review. I would like to offer a sincere apology. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed February 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in February.

The hotel matched the Expedia rate for me with the catch that there would be no refund under any circumstances. I was able to get a good deal.

The location is very convenient for west Edmonton. It is close to the mall, but not walking distance.

The free continental breakfast was one of the best that I have had and there is ample seating.

The staff were polite enough and helpful enough, but they did not really go out of their way to welcome you upon entering the hotel. I found this strange.

Our toilet clogged on the second night, and we called for a plunger. We were told that someone would be right up. After 30-40 minutes, I called again and someone finally came.

The heater/AC system is very noisy, the bed is hard, and the bedding is quite thin. I was hoping for more from a HI. The WIFI is also incredibly slow (like the elevator).

I did not try the pool or hot tub, so I cannot comment.

I am a Priority Club member, so I will continue to use HI's but likely not this one.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank AmandaWild
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Our family members often get together in Edmonton and we always stay at this Holiday Inn Express. It is clean and comfortable, has a very nice pool and a good, free breakfast buffet. Parking is free and it is close to the West Edmonton Mall. They have suites available for larger families.

Room Tip: Be sure to get your CAA discount.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Thank Mrs. M
Reviewed December 30, 2011

We checked in to this hotel for one night to allow us to check out the West Edmonton Mall. The check in was pleasant and efficient, the room is clean, although one of the lamps doesn't work. It takes ages for the bathroom water to get hot. We haven't used any of the facilities yet as it's only 5am at the time of writing. I will add to this review once I have had breakfast and checked out the pool.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed here in October.......after we found the hotel......there two holiday inns with very similar names.........When we inquired at the check in about the confusion alll we received was a kurt "You are at the right hotel!" However we did notice that the staff were answering the phones differently to the actual name of the hotel....go figure! Otherwise good holiday inn standard hotel.

Room Tip: Make dure you have the right Holiday Inn when you book!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed overnight in the middle of a snowstorm. The room was clean, comfortable and warm - so warm we kept the window open all night long so we could breathe. No matter how low I put the thermostat it didn't change the room temp. The beds were very comfortable.The pool and hot tub were clean and nice to use. , good temperatures. Breakfast was fine - waffle machine was out of order. The 5 min drive to WEM took us 20 mins in the snowstorm but there was no crowds inside. For $137. plus tx for 3 adults it was a good choice for us.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family