“Classy upscale Scottish pub”

The Bothy Wine & Whisky Bar
Ranked #103 of 2,593 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Utilizes local products, small, simple but delicious menu is designed to compliment various scotch offerings. Uses the Enomatic system for wines and champagnes, allowing the customer to have a glass of a wine when they may not want a whole bottle.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This place was a bit more classy than I was expecting. I think of the English or Scottish pubs as bigger venues with lower end scale food, but this was a nice surprise. Yes it was a small, intimate setting with a bar to sit at as well. Good ambiance for small or large groups. The wine selections are quite upscale too (did not try whiskey which is what they are known for) and small tasters are also available. The food included some Scottish traditions such as haggis, but I stuck to the Bothy Blast. This was one of the best sandwich's I have had with a unique combo of smoked salmon, avacado, bacon and tomato with a pesto mayo - delicous! The clam chowder soup was ok but there are other options for sides too. The staff were very helpful...espeicially trying to avert an another annoying patron who invaded my space. I would have loved to stay for another wine, it was only the other customer who had me leaving early! The staff did what they could to assist with the situation! No complaints.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

What I liked best about this restaurant was the atmosphere,the fare and the service. Doesn't leave much to disappoint. A great place to just go and hang out. Sample a flight of wines. Taste some great cheeses and meats. All in a very relaxing and cozy atmosphere. The menu selections were also sufficient to satisfy our group. The presentation was fantastic, the portions plentiful and tasted great. The chef even made his rounds to each table to see if everyone enjoyed their meal. Our waitress was hilarious. She engaged with us and provided all of us with great selection advice on what wines,cheese,meats and mains to order. I cracked up when she made the comment "don't order that, I am tired of that! I am going to make a habit of going there whenever I am in Edmonton

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Love it, tiny intimate dining, knowledgeable servers. Great place to sit and taste the night away! Whiskeys, wines, cheeses, charcuterie platters, special mains to return to time and again.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Tucked away on Calgary Trail, I had driven past it every day to work without noticing it. You need to keep your eyes peeled, it sits discreetly off the side, just visible from the road. It's warma dn dark inside, all wooden furniture and stone floors. The menu is great, there's a cheese board, there's haggis, there's everything that I miss from home! The whisky menu is even better. The service was a bit slow, but the food was worth the wait (I had the yam sandwich and soup - delicious!!)

Reviewed May 7, 2013

First off - this was their 124st location, but I couldn't find it on here.

--------

I wasn't expecting much going to a wine bar as I've been to them before but this place was different.

The food was over the top and the chef in the back was really good for informing us on what was in each dish. When I got my order, everything in it was amazing - I ordered a plate with lamb, bacon wrapped sirloin a duck/wild mushroom wrapped crepe. Not one bit of that plate was anything under exceptional.

They also have a great selection of wines and whiskeys - the only complaint I have is they need a bigger variety of delicious wines we have right here in BC, Canada from the Okanagan Valley.

Aside from the delectable food and great wines, the service was also top notch and the pricing was very fair!

In conclusion, I'll definitely be going back as it looks like they change their menu per season and is updated from when I went a few weeks ago.