“Celiac and Allergy Friendly Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Guru Restaurant

Guru Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 2,376 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Yellowknife, Canada
“Celiac and Allergy Friendly Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Guru is one of the best resturants for Indian cuisine ( that catered to allergies) and with my allergies that is not an easy task. I discovered this little gem a few years back and it has never let me down. I have gone for a nice date out, ordered takeout and stopped by on the fly never any issues with service, food or cost. Of course if you you want quality, service and real food you pay a little for than a food court. One person can eat for about $30-35 including a starter and few dishes. Of course booze is more.

The atmosphere was also calming with elegant Indian decor and music. At times when it is really busy it could be a little loud but tolerable. I would recommend plants or some crafty dividers. It is a place you can take kids but I have not seen many there. I would not hesitate to take mine.

I am a celiac who is lactose intolerant and can not eat many other foods and Deependra the executive chef was amazing. He even took the time to come talk to me and created special dishes I could eat and then see how everything was after we were done. Food was delicious for the same price as the menu items. They even have a chickpea roti that is gluten free!

Deependra thank you so much for always taking the time to cater to us folks with multiple allergies. It is not easy to find a good allergy friendly diner that is not home cooked.

• Visited June 2014

Edmonton, Canada
“One of Edmonton's Very Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been dining at Guru since they first opened. We eat out quite regularly and we always look forward to returning to Guru. The manager, Jeet, and the service staff always go above and beyond to make us feel welcome. I think most of the staff could order for my wife and pick all her favorites by now!

As for the food, the appetizers are all amazing, especially the Cauliflower 65 and the Butter Chicken Samosa's but you really can't go wrong with anything. My wife loves the Butter Chicken curry and will always order it. I've tried almost the entire menu and have almost never been disappointed. Some of my favorites are the Lamb Vindaloo, Goan Shrimp Curry, Chana Masala and the Vegetable Lababdar. Oh, and my most favorite thing to get is the Masala Chai; I could drink this stuff by the pot!

As far as I know, there isn't ever a buffet, which is a good thing. In my opinion, this has decreased the quality of other restaurants that have gone that route and we now visit Guru almost exclusively when we want to have Indian cuisine.

Keep up the fantastic work Jeet and all the Guru staff!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Makooru
Edmonton, Canada
“A Favorite Disappoints!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We eat here often, at least 10 times a year. We usually love it but this week 2 big issues bothered us. The server was shockingly inept, the only times she showed up, she kept trying to remove our plates and the food, though it should have been clear we were not done She should have at least asked. Then she disappeared and we couldn't get our bill. And even more disturbing, the portions were really miserly. The bowl was the same size and the food filled the bowl the same way, but in our Chicken Lababdar there was mostly sauce and only 4 small pieces of chicken. Same with the shrimp Zalfrezi - it was full but mostly with peppers and sauce and only 4 shrimps. These are delicious dishes but at these prices, one expects at least double (if not triple) the amount of the star of the show. We don't mind paying above average prices for above average food and portions, but these portions were just plain skimpy. As it is, we felt ripped off.

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank albertasn0wbird
JEET_GURU, General Manager at Guru Restaurant, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Greetings from Guru! Thank you very much for your comments and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your food. I am extremely sorry to hear that the food portions and service was not up to your expectations.Kindly accept my apologies on behalf of the restaurant.We take great pride in our food and service and I have discussed your comments with my team.May I request you to call me at the restaurant or email me at your earliest convenience. Once again,Thank you for your continuous patronage and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
Jeet
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Better than London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

Lucky for us we came during summer. We didn't have reservations and were seated right away.
Our server, Madison, was very helpful and provided insights to the various dishes on the menu.
You have to try the Chicken shooters, they are so good and unexpected.
The butter chicken samosas are the plumpest samosas I've ever eaten. They are loaded, it's a good thing we only ordered two.
My husband and I have eaten at some of the finest Indian restaurants in London and having Guru in Edmonton is a real treat.
The pricing is on par with other quality restaurants. The wine list is varied and offers something for everyone. We didn't have room for dessert, but I will definitely be back and I'll bring friends so we can share more options and dessert next time. Nice Job Jeet! We hope you open a new location on the south side. Dinner for 2 with a bottle of wine was under $120.00

• Visited July 2014
Lethbridge, Canada
“Subtle Spicing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

The food at this restaurant is truly remarkable and is the basis of my "excellent" rating. We had the Lamb vindaloo which was very tender. The menu said the level of heat was high, but we didn't find it all that hot. In fact, the spicing was very subtle; and what's more, we could actually taste the lamb (something that is not always the case in Indian cuisine). The surprise of the evening was the Chicken saffron. It was wonderful. One could taste the saffron but it was not overpowering. The chicken, which could have been tough, was so tender that it almost melted in the mouth. I've never had anything like it. The vegetable samosas were good as was the nan and rice. The cost for two was reasonable for such excellent food. The decor is modern, not faux oriental. All in all a terrific place.

• Visited June 2014