“Comfortable and delicious”
Review of Guru Restaurant

Guru Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Guru Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 2,555 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you want a comfortable and cozy place to relax and enjoy some good food, then this is the place. Our Indian waiter knew when to come to the table and when to give us our space. The coconut rice was very coconutty and the garlic naan was yummy. The weather was a bit chilly so the warm chai really warmed us up. We also had mango chicken and lamb curry both spicy but not too strong to turn off our kids. The price is what you would expect for a fine dining experience. Location is good, between two main roads.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

For business I have been to India 53 times and also went on vacation 4 times. I enjoy Indian Food and feel I know a little bit about it. This is a lovely looking restaurant with excellent modern graphics and nice spacious decoration. The staff is very nice but the food was a let down. I ordered Mango Lassi (and table water). There was a mango taste but not strong. I suspect it was canned mango puree and at $5 a glass I would have expected some real mango.
My main dish was tandoori saffron chicken - this was excellent - even exceptional. The shocker was cauliflower. This is a popular northern indian dish and I have had it dozens of times in India, US, Canada and UK. I have NEVER had it deep fryed in batter dyed bright red. it looked and tasted like a terrible sweet & sour chicken in a low class Chinese restuarnt. Finally the Panner Nan - rubbery and could not be eaten. The staff was concerned that I left the Nan and the cauliflower but I told them never mind - the chicken was wonderful. Price was $44 and with tip came to $52 -- This was very poor value for one person and no alcohol for the such a disappointing meal

2  Thank Paul R
JEET_GURU, General Manager at Guru Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Greetings from Guru! Thank you very much for your feedback about your experience at Guru! We truly value guest feedback since it is the only way for us to improve on our food and services. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy the cauliflower and the paneer naan. I truly hope that this was a one off incident since we have heard nothing but great comments regarding our Cauliflower and our Breads. Rest assured that I have personally tasted both dishes and made sure that they taste as good as how I would like our guests to taste them.
Once again thank you for visiting Guru and your feedback. On your next visit please do ask for me and I would be more than happy to ensure that you have a great experience. JEET

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My daughter and son-in-law raved about this restaurant, so on my last visit to Edmonton we went there. Their praise was not unwarranted.

I had the vegetarian Korma, and it was perfect. Perfect spice, perfect seasoning, perfect taste, perfect texture....I dont know, it seemed subtle, yet bold at the same time....u get the picture. My daughter had the Shrimp Kadai, and although I didnt eat a shrimp I tasted the sauce. Wow! Son-in-law had Butter Chicken. Same. Same.

I could have wrapped myself in that warm garlic Naan and stayed in the back room if they would let me. We went with the Saffron Rice and it was fantastic. We only had our entree's, two orders of naan and two of rice, and that was plenty for the three of us.

The server made recommendations without being pushy (great recommendation by the way) and remembered them from their previous visits. We received just the right amount of attention.

The only thing that was odd was the choice of music, it sounded more like something you would hear in a massage parlour (not the kind with the happy ending, the kind with therapists!), but it was still fine...just different.

Decor was very clean.

After we ate there I spent some time thinking about great meals I have had in my lifetime. Unless I have forgotten one, that was the best. Complicated....no.......good food doesn't have to be complicated.

I will eat there EVERY time I return to Edmonton!

1  Thank spankydufus

Greetings from Guru! Many thanks for your wonderful comments! Looking forward to see you back at Guru! JEET

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a great restraunt to share (or not) Indian food with friends and family. Very upscale restraunt prices are fair and quantity of food pretty decent. I went with my daughters and son-in-law and we had a marvelous meal for around $60, (no alcohol) and it was more than enough
food for all of us. Loved the atmosphere, it's really find dining.

1  Thank Hg61
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

This is my families favorite restaurant. We go here every time we visit Edmonton. The food tastes perfect and the service is fantastic.
My favorite dishes are beef vindaloo and mango chicken with coconut rice and naan bread.
You must go here!!!!