“A well done hotel experience”

Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites
Ranked #14 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Burnaby, Canada
“A well done hotel experience”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights because my business activities were mostly concentrated in south Edmonton. Although not close to any stores or services (except a White Spot restaurant and a restaurant in the adjacent Sandman) it worked very well for my purposes. My room was ideal and perfect for working - good desk and chair, good light and excellent wifi. The staff are very accommodating and hotel management is clearly very hands-on. They provide a comprehensive hot and cold breakfast. My only quibble is the water pressure in the shower could be a bit stronger.

Room Tip: My room (413) is large with a working/sitting area and a sleeping area which is separated a bit. The...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Kate181793
Sandeep G, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Kate,

Thank you so much for the lovely comments you have put for the hotel and the staff on Trip Advisor.

I am so happy that you really enjoyed your stay with us and we exceeded your expectation.

I am certain that we will keep on delivering great service in future too and assure you our best always. See you soon again.

Regards

Sandeep Ghosh, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel - the latter being Sept 2012. This is still one of the better choices in Edmonton when you consider the newness, location and price of the rooms. We had a Dbl Queen room on the 4th floor which was clean and the beds very comfortable (firm with cushioning) but be warned that the topper on these beds is nothing but heat-retaining memory foam -adding unwanted warmth on a warm night. We actually stripped the second bed of its bedding and slept on top of the duvet on our own bed just to keep a buffer between us and the "sauna" beneath us.
The cooling/heating systems are surprisingly efficient and the hotel has windows that open to allow in fresh air which is nice. Sadly our room backed onto the Q.E. 2 hwy so leaving it open at night was not an option due to traffic. Other than this minor inconvenience the hotel was blissfully quiet during the week. The hotel honored our request to be placed away from the elevator and so we didn't hear a peep from other guests even though the hotel was fully booked. Be warned that this hotel attracts sports teams and other large groups over the weekends and they were rolling in full force by the time of our departure.
As a few other reviewers have noted, the hot water situation is abysmal. It took a ridiculous amount of time running the water in the shower before it was more than tepid. And when the hotel is packed with teenagers packing smart-phones the Wi-Fi signal becomes a little hit and miss. This was only on our last night there so not a huge impact.
The best thing I can say about the complimentary breakfast is that it's free & convenient. The tea and juice selection is pretty good. However if I want rubbery fake-tasting eggs, mystery-meat sausage patties and cake-like muffins I can eat at McDonalds.
What I do like: Close proximity to South Common shopping area, easy access to the Anthony Henday that will get you anywhere you want to go, cleanliness of the rooms and breakfast areas, ease of parking despite being full and a better price than the nearby Hampton Inn and Four Points Sheraton.
Best Western will survey you on your stay - I like this because it feels like they are listening. Hopefully they will implement some changes to the hot water and breakfast concerns I raised. I plan to return next time I am in Edmonton to check it out ;)

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the south parking lot not the highway (Room 408, 409, 410, 411 etc face QE2)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 63_Bonbon
Sandeep G, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you so much for taking some time and putting your feedback on Trip Advisor.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and also patronize our hotel and after the inconvenience caused due to hot water and breakfast; you still would return to us and stay in our hotel.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and I will surely looking into the same and some of the issues had already been rectified. I am sure your next visit will be a pleasant one and we will exceed your expectations like your past stays.

Thank you again and see you soon with us.

Regards

Sandeep Ghosh, General Manager
Saskatoon, SK
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We scored our stay through Priceline, and saved big so that was a good start. Room was clean, bedding was clean, nice flat screen tv. Showers worked well, plenty of hot water, so that's good. Breakfast was abundant and delicious, a good deal included in the price. Staff at the desk are were friendly. I felt a little bad for the workers in the restaurant, not too many smiles, but I hope they are paid well for the good work they do.

On the flip side we had to endure two maybe three rugby teams and a wedding group for the Saturday night. It was way too rowdy, and difficult to sleep. The police did come, but they got to stay. Also, with the drunkeness and open liquor in the pool area, it was unsafe for our kids to be in the pool. We did get to use the pool the next day early in the morning.

Just a head's up, the water slide is very fast and should not be used by anyone under 6 imho. Pool is small, so you have to be careful to be out of the way to avoid getting hit by the person coming off the slide.

Hotel is a little tricky to get to if you're coming off the Anthony Henday, just a head's up.

Room Tip: GPS is useful to figure out the Anthony Henday. Close to South Edmonton Common for great shopping!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank crosask
Mandy C, Owner at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property and providing such great positive feedback surrounding our breakfast and the quality of our guest rooms. We strive to provide our guests with excellent customer service and comfort. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the pool and teams. We do have a no alcohol policy in the pool area, and as soon as the front dest staff were aware of the issue, they immediately dealth with the guests and removed the alcohol. On behalf of my team, I apologize and I have already discussed these issues with my front desk staff to mitigate these concerns from reoccuring.

Your satisfaction is important to us and I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience.

Aalia Damani
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've stayed here a few times when passing through Edmonton for work. Being right by the ring road makes it a very convenient location, and despite being right beside the highway, noise was never an issue. The place is fairly new, nicely decorated with comfortable furniture and beds. I usually get upgraded on arrival to the business suites, which are a great size and properly set up for somebody travelling for business. Service has been good, and they have done a good job of accommodating special requests like getting a top floor room. The rates are typically better than average. For these reasons, I usually look here first when needing a room around Edmonton.

The only real con I've encountered is that the breakfast area is small, and the breakfast offerings aren't as good or varied as most other Best Western Plus hotels I've stayed at.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank tch77
prince george bc
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I found our stay at this property not up to BW normal standards. Staff "forgot" to clean our room one day. We were out of the room all day. Upon return, at 3 pm our room was not done. I could not locate a maid or cart in the hallways. I went down to front desk and requested someone clean up our room. Also, the hot water supply is dismal at best. After running the hot tap for 2 minutes, the water is only tepid. I have had better hot water in Cuba! I felt I should voice these concerns so that they can be acted upon. Our last stay at this hotel was much better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank ve7epo
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I LOVE this hotel. I stay here often, for weeks at a time. The business suite is the best deal in Edmonton.
Lobby is magnificent. Staff is quick, and efficient. Everybody on staff, from front desk to housekeeping, greats me with a smile, and a "welcome back". The work, and thought that hotel staff puts into preparing my room just right - astounds me. Everything is cared for, and it is a real pleasure to stay here.
The rooms are very nicely appointed. Beds are very comfortable. All granite coffee tables, desk and bath counters. A duel outlet plug - at the desk! you can actually plug in your computer, cell phone, and ereader and still have a slot left over. That is rare. I carry the multiple extension cords to prove it. Rooms are spotless, pool with giant slide is a favorite of kids. Breakfast is good. They are adding, and changing things menu wise. Need a better toaster though. Too slow.

Location is great. 15 minutes to the airport. 5 minutes to major shopping. I will return - every chance I get.

Room Tip: Business suites are the best deal in town. They are huge. You will be impressed. Try a corner room...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Brenda T
Mandy C, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Thank you for your recent review in trip advisor. It was really nice of you to mention all the nice things we have in our hotel. We always treat our guests like family here in Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites.

Again, thank you for all the wonderful comments & thank you for always staying with us. All of us here are looking forward for your next stay.

See you soon.
St. Paul, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The room we stayed in was an average room. It was clean. The comforters were lumpy. We showed up at 2:00 p.m. and their check in was not until 4:00 p.m. The staff that was helping us went to ask her co-worker if the room was ready yet and her co-worker's tone (and the huff that followed) when she said "well, it's a bit early" was rude. We were told that it should be ready really soon and that she'd call us. We left and showed up again at 3:45 (no phone call yet) and the staff that was supposed to call us was no longer working. Nothing spectacular here. The restaurant next door (CHOP) was EXCELLENT.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jowadecam
Mandy C, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property. I apologies on behalf of my team for rude behavior and lack of communication. I have already discussed this issue with my front desk staff and I assure you this will never happens again. Your business is very important to us and we would like if you give us another chance to show better customer service.

Raj Sharma