“Good value, great family hotel.”

Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Carstairs, Canada
“Good value, great family hotel.”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

If your looking for accommodations in Edmonton that have reasonable prices then this is a good value. My husband and I decided to take our girls to Edmonton for two nights and after researching hotels through TripAdvisor we decided on this one. It offered the most value for our money....continental breakfast that's included and a swimming pool with a slide (perfect for our girls). The hotel is a typical newer BW hotel, the decor was nice, standard for new best westerns. We stayed in a two queen room which was a decent size, the beds and pillows were comfortable, the room decor was typical. It was clean, although the bathroom door could use a bit of attention.The bathroom amenities provided by the hotel were very nice...bath and body works lotion and shampoo and conditioner, loved that! Our room had a microwave and a small fridge as well, which is always nice. We stayed on the top floor, we did hear some traffic noise, but that didn't affect our sleep or stay at all. Continental breakfast was nice, they provided you with a bit of everything yogurt, toast, muffins, danishes, bananas and apples, and cold cereal hot items were hard boiled eggs, eggs with cheese, sausage patty and pancakes with syrup, and to drink there was coffee, tea's, hot chocolate and juices. The pool was nice, spiral slide, and the water is warm, the hot tub was nice as well. Staff were friendly enough and efficient.
The location was good, if you plan to do a lot of shopping at South Commons area, it's only minutes away, but it is a good 18-20 min drive to West Edmonton mall. Overall we had a decent stay, If we were traveling back to Edmonton as a family we would definitely consider staying here again. If it were just my husband and I traveling to Edmonton, we'd stay somewhere else.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mandy C, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Cherryleeann

Thank you for your recent review. I am very happy to hear that you loved our hotel, were happy with the accomodations and amenities we have to offer and your kids enjoyed our pool and waterslide.

Tripadvisor is very important to us and many travellers and it kind of surprises me that although you had all nice and great things to say to us, we were rated 3 out of 5? I would love to have had the opportunity to see what went wrong or if it was just a clerical error.

Please keep in mind that although we are a great hotel for families, we do have a great romance packages with Jacuzzui suites to offer to couples, newlyweds etc as well as great business class rooms for our corporate guests so we can cater to different needs. Unfortunately we aren't next to West Edmonton Mall, however we are very easily accessible to all major routes be it West, East, Downtown.

I hope you consider staying with us again so that we can show you we aren't just for the kiddies!

Mandy Clutesi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Central BC
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I come to Edmonton every few months for work (20-30 nights a year), and this is always my hotel of choice, even though it means I have to drive a little longer to my office than if I was at other hotels. It is relatively close to the airport, and Mandy (hotel GM) runs a tight ship - staff are very friendly and helpful (both front desk and housekeeping), check-in is always quick, rooms are always clean, and breakfast is satisfying (nice slection of food, and love the new coffee machine). During this most recent stay, I was able to take in the Manager's Guest Appreciation Night - quite enjoyable!

Sometimes my young family comes along, and the kids love the pool. Wife likes the close proximity to South Edmonton Common. I also came to Edmonton this month on a personal trip with my family and in-laws (Labour Day weekend 2012). Staff were great at accommodating us - moving us to two adjoining rooms, early check-in - even though they were very busy.

Apparently, this hotel often runs near capacity, but you'd never know it - it is pretty quiet in terms of other guests, and staff treat you like you're the most important one! Overall, this is always a great place to stay, and I will come back again, and again, and again............

Room Tip: If anything comes up, ask staff for help - they are very accommodating!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Ryan W.

I can surely say that we almost have as many guests like you who are part of the family as we have one time guests. We always try to make sure that our guests are satisfied with their stay and that long term regular guests are treated as one of us. It really is great to see our regulars come home!

I have recently started having manager's receptions usually the second Wednesday of every month just to show that we appreciate you and your business and I am happy that you were able to come to one.

Look forward to seeing you again!

Auburn WA
Reviewed September 25, 2012

All the good reviews concerning this hotel are spot on. It was very clean and the decor was beautiful. Our room was large and comfortable. We had an executive king on the corner of the building. The breakfast was a standard hot breakfast. Good but not exceptionable. All the staff were warm and friendly from the front desk to the cleaning crew.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mdelam,

Thank you! Your review definitely means alot to us and our staff. I can clearly see that you travel often and review a lot of hotels so when you say our hotel is great, offers nice clean rooms, friendly staff etc it truely means that we are doing our job.

I hope to see you again soon,

Safe travels.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Booked this hotel because of the pool, waterslide and free breakfast. My 2 yr old full of energy after a 3 hr car ride ran into the lobby and saw the pool and wanted to get in, the problem was by the time we got all of the luggage into the room the pool would be pretty much closed. The clerk at the desk was super friendly and offered to keep it open for a few minutes after closing so we could enjoy the pool. The staff were excellent and the rooms were very clean. My only complaint / tip would be to not get a room that looks out on to the highway as you can hear the road noise a little. I requested a crib at time of booking and was pleasantly suprised to see it in our room when we opened the door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the highway.
Dear Codsta,

I am happy to hear that you had such a great experience. My staff all do their best to ensure our guests are taken care of and I am glad they were able to do such a small thing that made your such an impact with you and your stay more enjoyable.

You will be happy to know that we are currently looking at our pool hours and weekend breakfast times to allow guests more time in the mornings to use our facilities before the long treks home and hope it will be in place by the time you come again.

Creston, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Chose this hotel from the cluster of hotels in the area because I have a membership card with Best Western. Hotel is from the same mould as other new hotel. What made this different was the warmth of the staff. Friendly and helpful. Management has done a good job recruiting in a tough over heated job market.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Mandy C, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Agforguy

Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and thought our staff were great. I am not quite sure what to say about the cookie cutter thing as our owners have put a lot of thought and effort into our build. When planning they personally picked the furnishing and decor and considering we are a limited service property we do get a lot of positive feedback in this regards.

New Best Westerns are opening all over the world every month and there are some standards that we have to adhere to. I am sorry that we didn't meet your requirements on this level but I hope that the friendliness of our staff and comfortable beds, free breakfast and many other amenities will convince you to come back to our hotel again.

Blaine Lake, Canada
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This was my second time stay here. The location is great and its just a short drive to the outlet stores.

The rooms are modern and clean.

The only downfall is the complimentary breakfast, its not very good.

1 Thank nicoleboisson
Dear nicoleliz,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and love the location. We do get many travellers just for that reason alone. The sound end has a lot to offer our guest and we are happy you continue to choose us.

Just to note, we are currently looking at some more options for breakfast, but do offer many alternatives such as proteins, cereals, eggs, breads, fruits etc which do allow for some choices. We are limited to what we can offer for our "free breakfast" as we do not have full kitchen facilities. We are trying our best to give variety and options to everyone.

Thank you again and see you soon!

Jasper National Park, Canada
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just an average stay. Mediocre service ...mediocre rooms...and the breakfast was awful. Couldn't sit down. Had to take it to our room b/c the breakfast area was too busy.
The kids would give up the water slide so they could go to a different hotel...even if it didn't have a water slide. So that tells you how 'meh' our stay was.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank luna m
Mandy C, General Manager at Best Western Plus South Edmonton Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Luna M.

Thank you for your recent review. I just want to apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay and did want to say that this is not the norm here at our hotel.

I do want to mention about the breakfast that we have hours that run from 6:00 a.m to 9:30 am every day and unfortunately when everyone comes at once at the end it makes for a crowded room. We do offer trays for guests if there is a crowding issue so that they can enjoy breakfast in their rooms but being busy is not something within our control. We do hope that guests stagger their eating times and we do have quite a large breakfast room as compared to other hotels but we just can't always accomodate everyone at once.

As for the rest of your stay, again I want to apologize as our agents try their best to provide you with a memorable stay and I will discuss the importance of this with them again to ensure future travellers get a different experience.

Please let me know when you are coming again and I will try my best to ensure your stay is a much better one.