“Best Location for shopping, but Slightly Over-Priced.”

Fantasyland Hotel & Resort
Ranked #26 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed March 4, 2009

We stayed for a weekend get-away in the imperial room. I find the theme rooms a little hokey. The room was nicely decorated and really large. The jacuzzi was more shallow than I expected, but I still thought it was fun.

The location was perfect for us since we spent the whole weekend at the mall. The service was quite good. The staff was helpful and check-in and check-out was a breeze. The room and hallways were kept quite clean.

I can see how people think the hotel is run-down, but it is well-maintained. I think management needs to update some of the decorating. The carpets looked like they should be replaced in the near future. I think the rooms are a bit pricey for what you get, even taking into account the fact that you get your choice of passes to the water park, amusement park or breakfast buffet. I don't know if I would haved stayed here if I didn't get a deal on the room.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 27, 2009

We stayed two nights in the Polynesian room. The room was of standard size with a comfortable bed and big screen t.v. The gigantic jacuzzi was the best part! The room was very clean and the 10th floor which we stayed on was very quiet. It was great to be staying in the hotel that was right in the mall. So that when you bought stuff you could go back to your room to drop it off or to change for dinner. There is so much to see and do at the west Edmonton mall that two nights is not enough!! Four nights would be better. The shopping is overwhelming you can find everything and anything you need. The Water Park and Galaxy Land were a lot of fun and indoors. This was a perfect mini getaway for February.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Even though we live in Edmonton our family stay here whenever we have family in town for visits. The best place to stay have fun with the family is all here at west edmonton mall.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Stayed at the Fantasyland Hotel on a business trip and it was a good stay. At first I was booked into a Superior room, but due to some plumpling problems I was not able to get into a Superior room. So they upgraded my room to a themed room, which was nice.

Some may think that this hotel is run down, but it actually wasn't that bad.

Staying in the hotel allowed to have free access to Golds Gyms and easy access to the mall. The restaurants on Bourbon street were good, even the bars. It was a good stay overall.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 2, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed there for two nights at the end of October. We got a pretty good deal directly through their website - $129 per night as a fall special. That was just for a basic superior room. We asked for an upgrade, but didn't receive one. We work in the hotel industry as well so we thought we could maybe get some kind of an upgrade, but no. We did get some coupons for their restaurants but weren't too interested in dining at them since they were pretty pricey.
The room was beautiful though. It was up-to-date in decor, very modern. Large windows and good drapes since the IMAX theatre lights were right outside our window. Everything was clean, bathroom was sparkling. Hot chocolate in the room was a plus. We skipped on housekeeping (we usually do) so I can't comment on that.
The lady at the front desk was polite but not too friendly. It looked like a lot of the other guests were having troubles getting into their rooms, but we were only at the desk for a couples minutes. So that was a plus.
The hotel is right in the mall which I loooooooooooooooved. If you wanted a snack or something to eat you could just go downstairs and get it from the food court (cheaper than the hotel food!).
Room service was expensive. We enjoyed the fruit platter and ice cream though. The servers were very prompt and friendly. We ordered breakfast one morning and it was served at the time (even a bit before) that we requested. The breakfast was $15 for a couple eggs, bacon, toast, and hashbrowns. Wasn't really worth the money - could probably get more at a Denny's or another breakfast restaurant. But we had never had breakfast in bed so we thought we would try it out.
Overall it was a good time. I would stay there again if I could get the same price and if I wanted to spend more time in the mall than in Edmonton itself. Would love to spend a night in one of the specialized rooms, but they are very too pricey!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2008

I was very pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Front desk staff were accomodating when I asked for a room without 2 beds and without a jacuzzi! The room was huge and well maintained given the age of the hotel. Large windows (some of which actually open); housekeeping was good; linens are very crisp, white and down filled duvets and pillows are nice.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 15, 2008

Stayed in a Roman Suite at the Fantasyland Hotel. What a crazy place - eccentric and amusing, exhausting and fun. Room was very large, enormous 4-man jaccuzi which took ages to fill from a roman woman's knee, bust of ceasar to hang the towels on, gigantic tv, minibar, aircon, 6 foot circular bed, adequate bathroom, good storage. If you are a little self conscious you might be put off by the mirrored walls and ceiling!! Very clean, check-in easy, great access to the West Edmonton Mall, friendly staff. All in all, a fun time.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends