“Never Again!”

Ranked #29 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Lloydminster, Canada
“Never Again!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My family and I stayed in the luxury igloo themed suite room #502 for my daughters birthday. Our initial impression of the hotel was great. The check in was very fast and the front desk attendant was very friendly. There are four elevators, however they are the slowest elevators I have ever experienced. I timed 8 minutes for an elevator to arrive that was empty enough for the three of us to enter. Walking the hallway to our room, the hallway carpet was very stained and dirty, not what I would expect from a hotel of that caliber. We were happy with the room initially. My daughter was thrilled with it. It was very well done and you felt like you were in the north. This all changed at night when I closed my eyes and I went from an igloo theme to sleeping above a nightclub theme. There appeared to be a wedding reception several floors down that had a large terrace full of yelling and screaming drunks. The music was so loud you could hear the booming base from the music. I called the front desk to a clueless staff member who supposedly did not know how long the party was booked for. I told her if this continued we would need to switch rooms, which she replied ok let me know. Never once offered an apology. I debated switching, but after my daughter some how managed to fall asleep with all the noise, it was not worth the hassle of waking her up and moving everything. Out of pure exhaustion my wife and I finally managed to fall asleep only to be jolted awake at 2:45 am by a group of men yelling and hollering again. I should also mention that the party was so loud that even ear plugs could not block the sound and only enhanced the deep base from the music. I can live with doors closing or people returning to their rooms, but the level of noise we had to experience was beyond what is reasonable. After an exhausting night of little sleep we stood with luggage and birthday presents in the elevator bank of the 5th floor with a growing number of other guests. When an elevator did happen to stop, it was too full and had to continue on. After 14 minutes of waiting we and several other disgruntled families decided the stairs were a faster alternative. Check out was fast as I only had to hand them a signed slip. By this point I was to exhausted and still had a long drive ahead of me to argue for a refund. $400.00 for this room was certainly not worth a single cent for the lack of sleep and frustration I had to experience with this hotel. I have stayed in many hotels big and small, from 1 star to 5 stars and have never experienced elevators that slow and a room that noisy. Nor have I had such a terrible sleep in a hotel. The time you save by being so close to the mall is erased by the wait for the elevators. I would highly recommend driving several minutes to another hotel and have a great night sleep for a lot less money and frustration.

Room Tip: Get a room as high up as you can to avoid the yelling and screaming from the drunks at their bar. T...
1 Thank Bordertravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Greek first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Visiting family in Edmonton and my parents thought it would be a treat to put me and the kids up at the Fantasyland hotel at West Edmonton Mall for 2 nights. The kids chose the "igloo room" because the picture looked so cool on the brochure. When we checked in - we discovered that we were not in a "suite" like the picture - but a much smaller room. It's fine for sleeping, but there is no place to sit once the kids are in bed, so I ended up sitting on the floor watching movies on my laptop. It sucks that for the price ($800 for 2 nights) the hotel still charges for internet and offers no breakfast and really, apart from the passes to the waterpark - there is really no point in staying here. The hotel is dated. You can get a much better deal at a local hotel (including free wifi and breakfast) and the theme rooms are looking old and don't look like the brochures advertise. A disappointing stay and definitely not for the cost.

Room Tip: Make sure to order a suite so that you have a space to sit down once the kids are in bed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Grande Cache, Canada
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Room had no fan in the washroom, temperature control was either blasting cold or nothing. Cable wasn't up to par and seemed like only 2 of the 4 elevators were actually working. Checkout was a zoo with long lines and wait time. Will not return.

• Stayed August 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here 3 years ago with my children and loved it; we loved the hotel, the room, the mall and especially the complimentary passes to the theme parks. On a recent visit to my sister in Canada I couldn't squeeze in a return visit to Edmonton but my sister agreed to take my daughter and her friend for me. I booked and prepaid the hotel, but their first night was spoiled by the partying of the people in the room next door. Security were slow to deal with the problem but eventually evicted 3 non-guests from the room. My sister complained that she would not have paid for a room in which they were unable to sleep but was advised that since it was prepaid they could do nothing. On hearing that her neighbours would be staying another night she insisted on being moved. This request was accommodated and they were moved to a room with a hot tub, which the girls enjoyed!
However, when I heard that none of the three of them had got peace to sleep, and were subsequently so frustrated by the incident that they had difficulty getting to sleep, I mailed the hotel and asked them to investigate the incident. To their credit, they immediately contact both my sister and me to ask exactly what had occurred. The following day my sister was told that a refund for the first night had been made to my credit card as well as her being offered a night's stay, as their guest, in a superior room.
We were impressed by the courteous and efficient manner in which Taha (Front Office Manager) responded to our complaint. I feel that the refund was appropriate under the circumstances, but understand that it must be distressing for a hotel (trying to operate during difficult financial times) to have to refund one customer because of the inappropriate behaviour of another.
When all is said and done The Fantasyland Hotel did the right thing! My sister and I felt disgruntled about what had happened, but the hotel management did what they could to put the matter right and I am happy with that!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Leduc
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed in the 'Hollywood Nights' theme room for my boyfriends birthday. The room was a descent size, and seemed to be well kept. The jacuzzi tub was kind of hard to operate, the pole seemed a little wabbly, and it was a little awkward in the bathroom with no privacy. The valet parking was very nice since the mall was so busy, and the staff were good to deal with. It was always a bit of a weight to go up the elevators however. It was amazing to have the West Ed mall at our disposal. We made frequent trips to bourbon street and the water park.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was our second stay at this hotel. We stayed there 2.5 years ago. We had a 2 night stay on one of their promotions. There was 4 of us – my wife and I plus our 2 little kids (6 and 2).

Overall, I think the promotion we got was a very good deal. Along with the 2 nights, they gave us 4 theme park passes to be used at either Galaxyland or the World Waterpark (we did both). Also got some $ towards breakfast and a $50 gift card to be used in the mall only. Without the promotion, the rate per night was anywhere from $200 and up (and for that price, I'm not sure it's worth it).

The room was a nice average size (2 queen beds). We had a corner room with a decent view. We stayed in just a regular standard room – no theme. Room had a small usable fridge, which was convenient. The big downside to the room were the mattresses – there were absolutely awful. They really need to be replaced. You'd sit on the edge and it was hard but the rest of the bed just sagged. It was a very uncomfortable sleep. The other bed in the room was not much better.

The breakfast was pretty good - at L2. It's a buffet with hot and cold stuff. They had made-to-order omelets – they also had eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast, pancakes, oatmeal, cereals, etc. Adult was $18 and kids 5 and up were $8.

There is no separate pool - rather, they consider the pool to be the Mall's Waterpark (which is extra money).

Overall, it's a decent hotel – with the exception of the mattresses. (I would have given this hotel 4 stars but the mattresses were just awful.) Obviously the big bonus here is location. Since we were only here for 2 nights and spending all the time in the West Edmonton Mall, we stayed here – since you leave your hotel and you're right in the mall. But if you don't need to stay in the mall, you can probably find a nicer hotel in Edmonton for the same or even cheaper price (unless you can get a good package promotion). In other words, if you're coming to Edmonton mainly for the mall, then this is a good place to consider. Otherwise, you should go somewhere else. If you want to spend a bit more money, you may want to try a theme room – but again, depends on how much time you're actually in the room. We were only in room to sleep so for us it was not necessary.

Edmonton
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I've stayed here twice, once in the roman room, once in the Polynesian room. A great break from the winter, nice to have your own hot tub. Rooms are clean, service is passable. It's kind of fun to wake up at the mall and really enjoy Bourbon street the night before.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple