“Something different”

Fantasyland Hotel & Resort
Ranked #26 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at a Roman Themed room for a couple of days. The decoration was quite interesting compared with the usual hotel rooms.The room overall, looked a bit tired and dated, but it was clean.
Hotel staff were very helpful. Food was also good;good selection and prices are fairly reasonable. Very nice location inside the mall!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fantasyland H, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us during your most recent visit. We are working hard to improve the interior of our theme rooms. We have renovations on schedule and our Roman Theme Room will certainly take part in this; we will be sure to keep it interesting. It's great to hear we did a great job with the cleanliness of your room and your taste buds satisfied. I will share your compliments with the entire team and they will be happy to know of their excellent work. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a beautiful modern hotel with nice rooms (I did not stay in a fantasy suite). It reminds me of a Sheraton. The service was very good and I really can't complain about anything... except the price. Yikes! If you have your heart set on staying in the mall then you will love it, but other than that there are many other hotels in the area of a similar caliber - minus the hefty price tag.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Fantasyland H, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We take great pride in providing excellent customer service; our entire team is cheering to know they did a great job. We do run various promotions regularly to meet everyone's budget and desire. An upcoming one to watch for is our Spring Fling promotion; you can reach me directly at guest@fantasylandhotel.com for details.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We recently stayed in an executive luxury room at the Fantasyland Hotel in the West Edmonton Mall. The best part of the trip was the availability for shopping in the mall and dropping packages off at the room. The room itself was clean, but in need of a renovation. Having stayed at the hotel over the past few years while attending a conference, I find that it has not seen any upkeep to the rooms at all. The floor themes are reminiscent of a tacky Vegas hotel while the interior of the rooms have never been updated. It is time to spend some money and bring this hotel back to being the star that it was! If you want a more updated hotel, there are many more to choose from in Edmonton that are within easy driving distance to the mall. For the cost of staying at the Fantasyland Hotel, I would suggest looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your recent visit with us. Having a hotel room right inside the West Edmonton Mall is really such a great convenience while you shop and enjoy the attractions in the mall. It's wonderful to know that our room attendant did a great job with the cleanliness of your room; I will share this compliment with our housekeeping team. We make every effort to maintain if not improve our guest rooms. Our Hollywood Theme Rooms have been completely renovated; I encourage you to see them if you have not had the chance. We are continuing with this update; as a matter of fact our design theme is now working on our Polynesian Theme Room. I hope you will find some time to visit us again so we can show you our finish product.

Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We did a last minute trip to West Edmonton Mall for Spring Break and decided to spend a little extra and have some fun. The service was good, staff was very friendly and helpful. The room that we stayed in was not one of their theme rooms but we had a king and bunkbeds for the kids which they loved. Room was adequate hot tub took for ever to fill. The room was clean. The location was really the only thing that comes close to justifing the $300 per night price tag. Was super convenient to be able to zip back to the room between meals, attractions and shopping. Definately check for any package deals we got a $50 prepaid card (which they had run out of so they applied it to the room) and a credit to their buffet for less than what their listed room price was.

• Stayed: March 2013
Fantasyland H, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you very much for spending your Spring Break with us; we are delighted that your family had a great time. It is wonderful to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful, we will certainly pass your compliments to the team. Our housekeeping team takes pride in making sure we are meeting your expectation; they will be happy to know you are satisfied. Having your hotel room right in the mall certainly saves time that you can spend enjoying what West Edmonton Mall has to offer. I would agree that the convenience of not having to drive back and forth, and battling with Edmonton traffic does add value to your stay. We run different packages year-round that will suit everyone's budget and desires - Spring Fling Promo is definiltey one to look out for.

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

I feel we got jipped out of our igloo bed, which online showed a circular igloo domed bed but instead it was a regular queen bed, nothing igloo-like. I don't recommend this theme room and feel I was overcharged for it. Bathrooms are small. The standard queen room (night 2 of our stay) was way nicer than the igloo room. Great location because of the mall but not very family-friendly with everything so overpriced but good overall.

Brandi the front desk staff needs some help in customer service, too. Too slow, no eye-contact, not very welcoming, hardly ever smiled...I even tried to avoid having to talk to her.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank thatsitthatsall
Fantasyland H, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you for your recent visit at the Fantasyland Hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you found staying with us convenient while you enjoyed the West Edmonton Mall. I would like to thank you as well for letting me know about your experience with one of the front desk agent; this will be taken care of promptly. We have two different kinds of Igloo Theme Rooms; our regular Igloo Theme Room comes with a queen size regular bed with ice block walls. Our Igloo Luxury Theme Room comes with the round king size bed in an Igloo and is 40% larger than our regular theme room; it's unfortunate this was not available when you made your reservation. We are happy to hear you are satisfied with our Superior Room and we do hope you'll be able to experience our Igloo Luxury Theme Room on your next stay.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you are planning to spend a lot of time in WEM than this is where you want to stay. We stayed in the Igloo theme room, definately not as described and NOT worth the price. Standard rooms are much bigger and better. Everything in this hotel and mall are really expensive so be preparred. Went to L2 for hot breakfast buffet. Was good but $60 is a lot for breakfast. We always seem to have the same view from our room of the air conditioning system and other rooms. Never need to open the curtains.You are paying for location here. NO pool but staff always says the waterpark is just down the mall....and is $33/person.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank terryhbk
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had pre- booked and pre-paid a sweet little one night get away for my husband, daughter and I to see the Diana exhibition for March 21 2013.

I knew it was going to snow, but we ventured out from Calgary to Edmonton anyway. We left well before the check in time, about 8 hours. The trip to Edmonton should take about 3.5 hours on a good day.

Needless to say the weather was horrific, but we were plugging away as cautiously as possible. We had just gotten to a turn off near Wetaskwin when the RCMP flagged us and several other drivers down saying the road up ahead on the QE2 had been shut down due to a massive accident. It turned out to be well over 60 vehicles with over 100 persons injured. Thank God no one lost their life. The road was closed for about 10 hours.

We knew we were not going to make it, and as far as I am concerned, with no fault of our own.
Had this chain reaction accident not have happened, we would have made it to the hotel.

We managed to turn around, and over two hours later crawled in to Red Deer. I called the Fanasyland hotel on my cell to explain what had happened.

The woman who initially spoke with me had zero empathy for the situation. If I had gotten her name, I would have mentioned her in my review. Because I had made my reservation through booking.com, she would not help me. She said I would have had to cancel 24 hours ahead to receive a refund. Lots of people did, apparently. If I had been psychic I would have predicted the accident that prevented us from getting to our destination. I was not after a refund, just a different reservation.

I realize that this is a black and white situation. I know how business works, but a bit of kindness for our situation would have been helpful. I asked her to give me booking.com's toll free number, and she gave me the number for priceline.com. In Britain.I would have like to have had a better person to talk to considering everything.

On the upswing, she said I could re-book, at a much higher rate. Through booking.com of course, and as long as there were rooms available. If I had been told this in the beginning I would have felt much better.

I did that, but I've now cancelled our stay. They can keep the $186.00 or whatever it was.

I found the hotel staff to be rude and uncaring. This was a situation that was all over the news in Alberta. A small bit of empathy would have been greatly appreciated. It was as though the hotel was trying to get me to stop calling and work this out.

We have stayed here before, and it was lots of fun. I just can't believe how unsympathetic they were to a situation out of my control .

Thanks, Fantasyland Hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank heatherbennett_123

Thank you so much for choosing the Fantasyland Hotel for your sweet little family get-away. We are sad that you and your family were not able to make this trip due to the extreme weather which caused the unfortunate accident on the highway. Please accept my apology on behalf of the staff who were not able to accommodate your request to cancel your booking. I would like to inform you that we have waived the cancellation fee and your credit card have been refunded in full. We sure hope that you'll be able to find the time to make your sweet little family get-away again real soon.