“Absolutely Wonderful”

Ranked #27 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Prince George, Canada
“Absolutely Wonderful”
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I will start by saying when I planned this last trip I checked tripadvisor.ca to check what reviews other people had to say about this hotel. After reading the reviews I was skeptical about booking my stay at The Fantasy Land Hotel. It sounded like it was really run down. I contacted the GM at Fantasyland and voiced my concerns and after reassurance decided to give it a try. We stayed from July 7-10th and COMPLETELY enjoyed our stay. It was a holiday to celebrate my Daughter's 9th birthday so she chose The Western Theme room which was very cute. I have also (though many years ago, before we had kids) stayed in a Polynesian, Hollywood and Victorian Room. I enjoyed all of them but think if you are taking kids the Western Room is really cool. The kids (aged 9 and 7) slept in a bunk bed that said County Jail above and they completely loved it. Staff was very friendly. The moment we arrived someone came out to the truck to see if we needed assistance. They helped us with our luggage and we left our truck to be parked in VIP parking. There is an $18/day charge for VIP parking but knowing my vehicle was secure gave me piece of mind. Every employee we came in contact with was very nice and very helpful. Check-in was quick. As for the elevator, I was expecting long waits due to all the complaints I had read. It really wasn't that bad. A couple of minutes at busy times but I found if you needed to go back up to your room, getting on at the 2nd floor of the mall always seemed to be faster. (could have been a coincidence but Lobby at times had big line-ups and 2nd floor was always empty). Restaurant was good. They serve a brunch until 11am. Would I recommend this hotel? The answer is yes absolutely. If you are looking to make your holiday more relaxing, Fantasyland Hotel will absolutely satisfy you. The location is so convenient. The City of Edmonton is doing a lot of work on their local roads and not having to deal with all the traffic changes was worth the extra few $'s to stay right on site. The only downside to my holiday was I should have stayed longer. West Edmonton Mall is really big and we didn't even cover half of it. It is much quieter during the week. There was a big change between Thursday/Friday and Saturday/Sunday. Theme parks had no lines Thursday or Friday. The hotel also offers packages and this really helps cut costs down on extra activities like Galaxyland and The Waterpark. Each of these activities was about $100 a day for a family of four so I recommend a family package if they are offered during your time of stay. Looking back, I put far to much thought into if I should stay on site or not. The rooms aren't brand new. The hotel is older so don't expect exceptionally brand new. Do expect clean and friendly. The cleaning staff do a fabulous job. The truth is, you won't be in your room all that much as there is just to much stuff to do. When you are in your room, you will get a good nights sleep as the beds are comfy. FUN PLACE! Book today and have fun! Thank you Barry for taking care of us :) Oh and one more thing, the hotel has hook ups for all your video games and movie players so if you have a game lover in your household bring the electronics along and that way maybe you can add some extra time to enjoy your room :) There truly is something for everyone at West Edmonton Mall and the option to Stay and Play is fabulous. We are already planning on returning very soon and we only came home two days ago.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kari1975
l2grill, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 28, 2011
Thank you for staying at Fantasyland Hotel and for sharing your positive comments and pictures with us. We are glad you enjoyed all the amenities your room and West Edmonton Mall offers.

It was a pleasure to speak with you and we look forward to hosting you again. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in helping to plan your next trip to Edmonton.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Greek first
Whistler, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights as part of our 6 week honeymoon in Canada. Given the primary reason for visiting Edmonton was shopping, this seemed like a fitting place to stay being attached directly to West Edmonton Mall. Overall it was a pleasant stay, but nothing had that WOW factor to it.

We stayed in one of the Roman-themed rooms and for our honeymoon, was great! It was very romantic, had a nice big Jacuzzi and a cute round bed (not to mention mirrors everywhere!!!). It was clean and inviting and the front desk staff were very helpful when the incorrect room type had been selected in their system upon checking in :)

The Concierge/Valets leave a little to be desired though. They seemed lethargic and unwilling to help but we self-parked anyway so it wasn't a big deal. Also Valet is around $20 per day, but you can self park for FREE.

Unfortunately the hotel is undergoing an Elevator Renovation project at the moment and this meant we had to wait up to 30 minutes for an elevator one morning - needless to say we weren't going to wait any longer, so we took the Fire Stairs down 11 floors in 4 minutes instead of continuing to wait - but not much we can do about that and hopefully one the project is completed by November, it will be much faster!

Their website also says that WiFi costs $8.95 per day for access to their WemiSphere (you get WiFi access not only in the hotel, but also throughout the Mall!!). The funny thing is that our laptops and iPhones connected immediately and never asked for any payment details. Even upon checking out, there were no charges - not sure if they have changed their policy here to free WiFi, but if so, it is a definite plus.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, and would definitely come back again and stay in one of the other themed rooms!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brisben86
l2grill, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Thank you for staying at Fantasyland Hotel and for sharing your positive comments with us. We are glad you enjoyed all the amenities your room and West Edmonton Mall offers.

I appreciate you bring your concerns with our valet service to my attention; I have already addressed these concerns with our Front Desk team.

We are working diligently to complete the elevator modernization as soon as possible, thank you for your patience during this process.

We look forward to hosting you again. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance in helping to plan your next trip to Edmonton.
Assiniboia, Canada
Reviewed June 26, 2011

My husband, two children ( our daughter turned 3 while we were there, our son is 2) and myself just returned from a trip to Fantasyland hotel. Our whole ordeal started out last November when tried to book a room through the gift certificate program they offer. Because of the ages of my children, and the fact that they were not able to sleep in bunk beds and fire regulations ( the reservations operator told us we were unable to have playpens in the rooms with king beds as well as those with bunk beds ) we were actually told by the hotel reservation person there was no rooms for our family at the hotel and it wasn't his fault my kids were ubable to sleep in bunk beds. I had contacted the hotel to let them know what I had thought of this treatment and their "kid friendly" hotel. I was notified promptly by a manager and told he would extend the gift certificate price less 25% should we still want to go to Fantasyland Hotel. After much convincing my husband finally agreed to go back to the hotel ( we had previously stayed there in 2008 with our oldest). Since our daughter was turning 3 while there we wanted to do something special for her. I had emailed the manager back and asked if there was anyone in the mall or nearby that did birthday cakes and some suggestions of what to do, since we did not know the city. However he never emailed us back.
On arrival to the hotel we were booked into the Polynesion theme room with bunk beds. The bunk beds were a small set of beds just added to the room, which just made the room feel very small and cluttered. We found the room to be very dark inside even with the lights on and the curtains open.. We were supposed to have a cot as well in the room to accomodate both of our kids. It was missing. While very disappointed in the room, we thought we would make the best of it. Later that evening after we put the kids to bed my husband and I thought we would watch a movie, only to realize that the post on the bed sat squarely in the middle of the TV! You couldn't watch TV from the bed. I called down to the front desk and asked if there was any way we could switch rooms to one that was actually functonal. I was told there was the Western and Rail rooms avail for the rest of our stay and to come down in the morning and we could go and see each of the rooms to see which one we wanted to move to. When morning came we loaded up our kids in stroller and went down ( waited a good 15 minutes for the elevator ) and were told by the clerk we could look at a picture and decide from there, there was no need to go and see the room. We picked the Western room which we were able to move to immediately. We went back up and got our stuff and loaded everything into an elevator to switch rooms. Our elevator stopped on the 8-th floor ( the western rooms are on the 7-th) as there were people wanting to take an elevator down. Everyone looked at the full elevator ( the four of us, a double wide stroller, 2 large suitcases, a carry on suitcase, a diaper bag, a back pack, a cooler bag, purse as well as some Wal Mart bags...we wanted to make the move in one trip ) and said they would catch the next one, however there was a bellman on the floor as well that insisted that more people pile into the elevator and would not let the door go until at least 2 people got in! He was quite rude about the way he was telling people to get into the elevator. So this poor couple got into the elevator complete with there bags, only to go down 1 floor and have to get out so we could unload! In our new room we soon found it too had it's problems. When we went to go to the water park and use the in room safe we found that it was locked and we could not get in ( something that should be looked at by housekeeping upon check out if you ask me ) so we had to wait for not only the first maintenance fellow to get there, but also a second maintenance person so they could unlock the safe and we could lock up our valuables prior to going to the water park. This did not sit well with our kids who were ready to go. One day of our stay the water was shut off from noon to 4pm in the entire hotel. If a person were to shower and a respectable time of the morning you had more of a cold shower with bursts of hot water, which was terrible for a hotel of this size. The jets in our hottub did not work, for which we were offered water park passes....which seems to be the answer for everything or every complaint at the hotel. All in all we made the best of our stay, what else could we do. However it will be a long time before we return if ever to the hotel. Yes we had a discounted rate ( had we not, I guarentee we would have been switching hotels as it was barely worth the discounted rate let alone what they normally charge for those rooms) but it is still no excuse for all of the hotels short comings. I understand renovations and improvements ( which is why I am not complaining about the strong smell of paint when you went into the hall way ) but there is no excuse for everything else. The rooms should all be in top working order, or they should not be rented out. Im not sure if the hotel is under new management since we were there in 2008 or if the hotel has just gone down that much....either way I would think long and hard before spending money there. The convenience to the mall is nice, but doesn't seem worth the hassle of the rest of it. And last but not least one of the biggest turn offs is the fact that they do not provide free wireless internet to their guests!! Im not sure about Alberta, but in Saskatchewan this is quite a common practice....but at Fantasyland hotel it is $8.95 a day!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Shirl2011
l2grill, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Thank you for your feedback and for bringing these issues to my attention. I apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay and have addressed them with our reservation and front office teams. We are continually upgrading our rooms to deliver the experiences our guests expect from Fantasyland Hotel. All of our Superior Rooms and Hollywood Nights theme rooms have recently been renovated.

Please contact me at your convenience so that I can ensure that on your next trip to Edmonton, you have a room and experience that meets your expectations. You can contact me at Barry.Zwueste@fantasylandhotel.com

Travelers are raving about these Edmonton hotels

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Very convenient if you plan to spend time in West Edmonton Mall. $180 for a night in a standard room that had hairs on the bed when I pulled back the covers. Wireless is extra which is absurd; it's 2011 people. My sister went to get pops from the machine and it stole her money. So they brought up two cans in place of the $4.50 she lost.
As we're sitting around chatting she looked down into her glass and saw a huge bug floating around in her drink. Not sure where that came from. I'm laying here in the room right now wondering how clean my bed is and feeling really gross. I don't care how convenient this is, I'm not coming back.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank BernMarie
l2grill, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Thank You for sharing your feedback with us. I apologize that the cleanliness of your room was not up to our standards. I have already addressed these issues with our housekeeping teams. I am glad to hear our staff brought up replacement pop for you.

Please contact me at your convenience to ensure your next trip to Edmonton and Fantasyland Hotel is a great experience and meets your expectations. You can contact me at Barry.Zwueste@fantasylandhotel.com
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed June 6, 2011

We stayed here for a conference and it was not that great. I expected more for a hotel that is attached to West Edmonton Mall. The rooms were run down and very dirty and dusty. The hallways and decorations were the same. It really needs a deep cleaning. The biggest complaint is the conference did not end until early afternoon and we were not able to get a late checkout which really did not work with a baby. There is not even really a lobby to relax in once you have checked out. Just a very busy mall that is not the greatest for a baby needing to nap. It made for very cranky afternoon and having to miss the end of the conference.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Goingsouth55
l2grill, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Thank You for sharing your feedback with us. I apologize your room did not meet your expectations. We are continually upgrading our rooms to deliver the experiences our guests expect from Fantasyland Hotel. All of our Superior Rooms and Hollywood Nights theme rooms have recently been renovated. We do try to accommodate as many late checkouts as possible but due to the busy nature of our hotel it’s not always possible.

Please contact me at your convenience so that I can ensure, that on your next trip to Edmonton, you have a room and experience that meets your expectations. You can contact me at Barry.Zwueste@fantasylandhotel.com
Regina, Canada
Reviewed May 29, 2011

This hotel is terrible. The rooms are expensive but feature twenty year old decor, small beds, lighting that doesn't work, and dusty and grimy surfaces. The elevators are horrendously slow and we heard other patrons complain of getting stuck in the elevators during their stay. There is garbage in the fake plants. I would consider this a hotel a decent value if the rooms were only $50 a night but given that the rooms here are quite expensive, I was expecting a lot more. The only good part about this hotel is the fact that it is attached to the mall.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank LACake
l2grill, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Thank You for sharing your feedback with us. I apologize your room did not meet your expectations; I have already addressed these issues with our maintenance and housekeeping teams. We are continually upgrading our rooms to deliver the experiences our guests expect from Fantasyland Hotel. Our elevators are currently under re-construction as part of our continual renovations. Unfortunately, as I am sure you can imagine, this is a long process that will take some time to resolve. We are taking every measure to limit the impact on our guest during the renovations. We are continually upgrading our rooms to deliver the experiences our guests expect from Fantasyland Hotel.

Reviewed May 27, 2011

My whole family loves staying at this hotel. All the conveniences of shopping as well as the excellent attractions in one place. The staff are always very friendly & curtious. I have never had any problems during our many stays here. Would recommend to anybody who is looking for an enjoyable & relaxing experience! Oh yeah, we brought our little dog last time and he loved it too. 5 Stars!!!!!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank AlexFyvie
l2grill, General Manager at Fantasyland Hotel & Resort, responded to this review, June 1, 2011
We are glad you enjoyed all the amenities West Edmonton Mall offers. We pride our self in being accommodating to all travellers including pets.