Varscona Hotel on Whyte
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
Matrix Hotel(Edmonton)
1,311 results
All reviewssecond cupwhyte avenuegreat locationwine tastingvalet parkingold strathconairish pubfringe festivalnight lifevalet servicecomplimentary breakfastwithin walking distancegreat place to stayexcellent hotelwould stay againclean roomsnice stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Great location, friendly and welcoming staff from the moment you enter the lobby. Almost like a bed and breakfast feel with the amenities of a hotel. The location on Whyte is great for a leisurely walk in the evening and seeing what Old Strathcona has to offer. The parking is convenient as well as Murietta's (the restuarant) off the lobby, Second Cup, and O'Byrne's pub to satisfy any thirst you may have.

I look forward to the next stay!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 22suzieq
Reviewed April 19, 2010

Stayed for 6 nights at this hotel. The reception was wonderful and helpful as I had made no reservations and gave me a room on the top floor with 2 king-sized beds. For the cost, you get your room, continental breakfast and complimentary wine tasting. The continental breakfast is located on the 2nd level in a hospitality suite so seating might become a problem if there is a group/company staying at the hotel as well. Selection was good and coffee was fantastic. If it wasn't enough, there is always a Second Cup at the lobby which opens from 6.30am till 10pm. I didn't go for the wine-tasting (also on the 2nd level) as it wasn't really my thing. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel and there are direct buses to West Edmonton Mall and downtown Edmonton where the LRT is also located. It wasn't noisy even though Whyte Ave was just below. The only gripe I had was the lights in the room was a bit too dim and made it quite difficult to read the computer screen or a book. Housekeeping was perfect!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank deezerness
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My husband and I decided to get away staying three nights at the Varscona Hotel on Whyte. We were so pleased with our visit. The second we arrived the staff was very welcoming, friendly and accommodating. They informed us of all the hotel amenities; valet parking, free wine serving, free breakfast, coffee shop, pubs, etc., as well as the events occurring that weekend.
We were much more grateful when we entered our room. It was beautiful with a speical touch of class. It was very clean and offered everything we needed. The room was kept clean all weekend and anything we needed the staff was willing to take the time to help.
The management really knows how to create a warm and relaxing environment for their guests. Our visit was definitely a pleasurable experience. A home away from home!
No doubt, we will be returning! Thanks again....Oh, and great room service :)

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Canadian89
Reviewed October 17, 2009

As first-time visitors to Edmonton & the Fringe Festival, we found the Varscona Hotel to be a fine place to stay. We spent four nights there, went off on other adventures for a few days, then returned to the Varscona for another three nights. We found the staff to be consistently friendly & helpful. During both stays, are rooms were fine -- quiet, nicely decorated, clean, & spacious. We were regular users of the small-but-generally-uncrowded exercise room. The provided breakfast offerings were simple, but included a enough variety to keep us from roaming in search of alternatives. We thoroughly enjoyed our Fringe experience & found the Varscona Hotel to be a very comfortable and pleasant home base while doing so.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

The Varscona has been my previous choice of hotel for Edmonton, great location off Whyte and superb staff. A hotel which I have had no hesitation to recommend to many people coming to Edmonton for the first time.
How sad that on my latest trip I found the staff surly and abrupt from the moment my wife and I checked in. No help with luggage and the complete absense of any mention of parking facilities.
Numerous actual problems as well including: In the room itself no hot water was available and would not drain from the tub.
The outside was unkempt and covered in fast food boxes and wrappers and clearly no-one had bothered to remove the garbage from the previous Friday night.
Any complaints were met with a "Nothing we can do attitude, you need to speak to the manager" Perhaps that would have been easier if the manager was ever around?
Again on leaving we invited the manager to address these and other concerns and of course have heard nothing.
While I appreciate that nothing can run smoothly all the time, it is how you overcome difficulties to let customers know they are thought about and looked after.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple