“Just ok”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Vernon, Canada
“Just ok”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I stayed here with my husband for several nights. Overall it's not a bad hotel. Pretty average though, nothing special about it. The positives were that the staff was friendly and the rooms were clean. We used the self parking which is free in a parking garage connected to the hotel. There is a Second Cup coffee shop just off the lobby which is great. Internet is wireless and free, another bonus. The negatives for us were the walls seemed to be quite thin and we could hear guests in the next room and in the hallway talking quite easily. Being light sleepers, we found this a bit annoying. The first evening we spent there the heater fan was on all night and could not be turned down so it was overly warm in the room. There was live music coming from the pub attached to the hotel so we couldn't have the window open or it was too loud. This however was only a one night problem. The remainder of our stay was reasonably quiet.
Our room had a king bed and a good sized bathroom. The fitness center was good. One elliptical, stationary bike, treadmill and weight machine. Also plenty of free weights and exercise balls. I pretty much had the room to myself every morning. It is kept nice and cool as well.
We didn't utilize the free breakfast or wine and cheese samplers so can't comment on the quality.
If you are not concerned with having any luxury in your hotel and just want a place to crash this would be a decent option. Personally I like a little something special when I'm away from home so probably would try another hotel if I were to visit again.

2 Thank smac5
Dawn L, General Manager at Varscona Hotel on Whyte, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear smac5,

Thank you for your feedback.

We are disappointed you found our rooms to be lacking in luxurious details. We are planning a refresh of our guest rooms in the spring and we are excited to share our new design with our guests.

We are thrilled you found our amenities to be to your liking! Next time you should definitely check out the breakfast and wine and cheese. Many of our guests find them to be a huge bonus.

Thank you again for your feedback. If you would like to discuss anything further please contact me directly. We would welcome any opportunity to show you our updated guest rooms once the renovation is complete.

Dawn Li

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Excellent hotel. Service was fantastic. Valet parking was a dream come true. Convenient location and delicious breakfast. Would definitely stay here again!

Excellent value for price paid. Second Cup in the lobby is very convenient!

• Stayed December 2012
Calgary
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed at the Varscona after reviewing location, price, parking options and chose here.

First the advantages: The staff was super helpful, informed, and nice. Got a free drink voucher for Murrietta's. The bed was one of the better ones I stayed in. I had a great night's sleep. The pillows were amazing which is hard to say for a hotel. TV was nice and didn't have the confusing hotel prompts on it. Parking which was attached to the hotel was free and covered. Location was great, right in the hip area of Old Strathcona.

Disadvantage: The floor was filthy. Hard to see at first (of course, after I unpacked my stuff) but I noticed hairs in the bathroom and on the carpet. After my eyes were open, I saw that the room could use a good update. Dust and other hairs in corners. This was not to my standards. I've seen older hotels and cheaper that keep up on cleaning better. I told the staff the next day and their response was a nice sorry but they said they would advise housekeeping. My own fault, I should of said something the day before. I don't know if the halls have more of an echo but you could hear the doors closing more loudly than other hotels.

Dear travelbird31,

Thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled that you were able to experience our amenities and that you enjoyed them.

We apologize that you did not find the rooms to be kept up in high standard. Our new Executive Housekeeper has really focused the team on attention to detail and the results have been fantastic. We are also planning a refresh of the rooms in the near future, which we are very excited about.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact me directly. We would welcome the opportunity to change your opinion of us.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for a week in April 2013 with my husband. The hotel is very well located. It has a parkade attached to it and has several buses that come right by the hotel.

But the pros stop there.

Our hotel room looked clean when we checked in but when we looked closer, there were bobby pins on the floor, the drinking glasses were dirty and the duvet was stained. House keeping did address these issues when they came by to clean the room but, again, upon closer inspection, we could tell corners were cut (ie. the carpet was not vacuumed and new towels were smelly).

The most disappointing part of my stay was my experience with the breakfast staff. Breakfast is served by the bar and grill next door called Murrieta's. For half our stay, several items from the breakfast bar were out of stock. One morning, I asked for assistance with the waffle iron and the staff responded by looking annoyed and giving me attitude. That same morning, the manager came over and asked me for my breakfast voucher which I had already put into their voucher box. For the entire 30 minutes my husband and I were eating breakfast, the manager never asked anyone else for their voucher. I'm not sure why she singled me out, but it made me feel very, very unwelcome.

I'm sad and disappointed by my experience with Varsonca as they have such glowing reviews on trip advisor. I hope Varscona addresses these issues but I don't think I would stay here again or recommend this particular hotel to anyone else; such a shame as the location is superb.

Room Tip: If you want a quieter room, request one away from the elevators and one without a door joining it to...
1 Thank Crystal S
Dear Crystal S,

We are sorry you did not have a wonderful experience. We have a new Executive Housekeeper who has focused the team on attention to detail. We have seen amazing results and hope that you will as well, should you decide to return.

I am disappointed that you felt unwelcome at our breakfast. This is obviously the opposite reaction that we are hoping to achieve for our guests. We want our guests to feel comfortable in all amenities that we offer.

Thank you for your feedback as it helps us direct our attention to details that may go unnoticed. Should you want to discuss this further please contact me directly. We would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed here a few nights ago. The front desk staff was friendly (we got upgraded to a suite for our one night stay) and rain into one of the maintenance people in the elevator who was very nice and said if we needed anything to let them know. Room was standard but very clean. Bed was a huge king size. The only downside for myself was the pillows (they were quite soft, I like them a bit more firm) and it gave me a bit of a sore back in the morning but I guess you can't really choose pillows at hotels. We got a voucher for a free drink that evening and for continental breakfast both at the Murrieta's restaurant which is attached to the hotel. Make sure to check the times as the vouchers are only good during certain times. There is free parking on site and the location is perfect for anyone wanting the night life of Whyte Avenue. The hotel also has a Second Cup coffee shop downstairs attached to the lobby which is quite a nice feature to have (it was open at 6am on a Sunday!). All in all a good value for the location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stayed here recently with a large group. The rooms are fairly standard, very clean though. The hotel itself has really convenient parking, is a short walk from the night life and having a coffee shop attached to the lobby is definitely welcome after a night of revelry. All of the staff were very friendly and check-in/check-out was a breeze.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is a good value. The rooms are clean nothing fancy but they are clean, modern, and well-appointed. They have nice amenities including Keurig coffee machines, a refrigerator, and free wi-fi internet. The hotel also offers free parking, free continential breakfast and a free drink. The staff was pleasant and the location on Whyte Avenue is very convenient - close to shopping, bars, restaurants etc.

We were pleasantly surprised with this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends