“ND Tour” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chilliwack, Canada
“ND Tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Great old hotel amid funky shopping and entertainment district. Walked everywhere. Rooms were nice, quiet, secure. Restaurant good. Service very good. Reasonably priced. Would stay again. Could have used some extra towels. Front desk staff very friendly and helpful. Parking handy.

Room Tip: Great place to stay to take in the Fringe Festival or some leisurely shopping and entertainment.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NDTour

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stay here every Easter when we take the kids to West Edmonton Mall. The hotel is not close to the mall but is in a funky little area which makes for good eating and walking around. This past stay the A/C wasn't working very well, but it is the third time we have stayed there and the only time we had that problem, so I'm hoping it was just a bad room. They have a nice little breakfast with an excellent coffee maker for espresso drinks. Parking area seemed shady but we've never had a problem. Probably should be about $10 cheaper a night, but still a good value. Good location for walking to the Farmer's Market on the weekend. Overall, we would recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KaperKate
Ft. McMurray
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

The Varscona is always our first choice when staying in our favorite part of Edmonton. Our recent stay, however, was less than stellar. After recieving a complimentary upgrade, which was a nice surprise, the faulty plumbing in our room forced a move to a much smaller room with zero view. The tables were dusty and the comforter was upside down. The manager left a free bottle of wine for our inconvenience (thank you!) but the biggest disappointment was a managerial decision to eliminate the evening wine tasting and the excellent complimentary breakfast buffet, replacing each with a voucher for an adjacent restaurant. The location is always appealing, but I don't believe we will book at Varscona our next visit to Edmonton.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Gordon M
Labrador City, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I just got back from Edmonton where I travelled to be at my son's side after he hit on the street by a drunk driver--he was admitted to the University of Alberta hospital.
I booked on Expedia as I had to leave the East Coast in a hurry and paid ahead for a one-night stay and if I was happy with the hotel, I planned to book it for the duration of my stay in Edmonton once I got there.
I paid $129.25--upon arrival I figured it was a pretty good deal as the hotel was lovely, very clean, room was spacious and the bed was quite comfortable. The hospitality suite offers a complimentary breakfast each morning which was also very nice.
The next morning when I went downstairs, I told the front desk clerk I would indeed be staying for the duration of my trip.
The hotel is very conveniently located--about a $7 cab ride to the hospital. Second Cup coffee is attached to the hotel which is very convenient as well. A little noisy on a Friday night with the night life but not too bad.
The only big negative was when I went to check out and pay--I was charged $176.14 for the second night I was there--this was $160 plus a Destination Marketing Fee, a Tourism Levy, on top of HST.
For the third night I was charged a total of $143.12.
So my room went from $129.25 the first night, to a $176.14 the second night and $143.12 the final night.
I questioned the guy at the front desk and he said I got it cheaper the first night because I got the Expedia rate. The next night was $160 plus fees because really they consider it the 'First' night because I booked on Expedia, the final night I was charged $130 plus fees because they charge less for the second night.
I remarked to him then that had I known I would be charged such a higher price, I would have booked again through Expedia on my iPhone right at the front desk.
Then, out of curiousity, I went on their homepage and, YET AGAIN, the rates were different. $150 per night--get the third night FREE
I was not happy with they way they charge their guests and I think there should be a set price and that would be it.
My advice for this hotel is obvious, a great place to stay but very sketchy on the pricing.

Room Tip: Be careful when booking, prices vary greatly depending on what your source of booking is.
2 Thank M S
Lethbridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We stayed here twice in July ... on our way to and from Fort McMurray for a family visit. We really like the location of this hotel ... it is right on Whyte Ave which provides ready access to some interesting shops. We can also walk to one of our favorite restaurants and down by the U of A campus quite easily.

2 Thank jovela
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Varscona is perfectly located in the Old Strathcona neighborhood of Edmonton. Lots of good restaurants and interesting shops and walks, yet convenient to downtown. The staff is friendly and helpful. Although the hotel is older, it is charming and well-maintained. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ShannMD
Prince George, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

love this hotel. the staff are friendly attentive. the place has a welcoming feel. it is excellent value to be on whyte, but it has complimentry parking, free wi fi and continental breakfast included. only downside is the room could have used a good scrubbing on some of the tile edges and the vents. small thing but great hotel none the less

1 Thank hunglow