“Terrible customer service and poor rooms”

Chateau Lacombe Hotel
Ranked #46 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My daughter and I stayed one night on January 14th when we went to Edmonton for the Justin Timberlake concert. We got a pretty good rate and new that the hotel was older but said it had been renovated and the location was good for getting to the concert so chose this hotel. When we arrived we were checked in by a woman at the desk who said nothing about a small sign on the desk that said the next morning between 9:00 and Noon, there would be no water in the hotel. Really? I mentioned this to the woman who said that this is the only time the hotel could get someone in to work on the problem. No apology given or offer of anything even a discount for the parking which was an extra $15 plus tax per day. So I said that is not great and what about brushing our teeth in the morning? She then said well we could send up a couple bottles of water if you would like. So I said well yes at least that is something since we can't shower or use the toilet in the morning. It was too late at that point to try and find somewhere else to stay as it was 4:00 in the afternoon and the concert was at 7:00 that evening. We went to our room which was right across from the elevator so was noisy with hall traffic. The room wasn't bad -- looked clean enough and had a view of the river. However the beds were terrible - very hard and the pillows were either too soft or a hard. I turned down the temperature 2 degrees to 20 and you could hear the motor running ALL NIGHT. And we never did get our 2 bottles of water. Luckily we had our own with us so we could brush our teeth and wash in the morning. We ordered a spinach dip and some cajun chips and the food was very good; however took almost an hour to get to us. When we checked out and the woman at the front desk didn't even ask how everything was with our stay. Not Impressed and I won't ever be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Brenda T

Reviewed January 22, 2014

It has been many years since I stayed at Chateau Lacombe. Originally one of Edmonton's Premium hotels, it fell into the hands of poor and uncaring management and simply declined.
All of that appears to be behind this unique property. The welcome is warm and friendly, there is a beehive of activity in the lobby and gathering areas as painters, decorators and staff quickly bring back the shine to the Chateau.
My room was bright and comfortable, the view is spectacular and everything worked. The bathrooms need the upgrades that are already planned, but they were well polished, very comfortable beds nice amenities.
Of course, the big feature is the incredible view of the Saskatchewan River Valley from La Ronde Restaurant at the top of this round building. Well decorated, excellent food and attentive service.
If all proceeds as planned and with terrific new management already in place, I can see the Chateau Lacombe rapidly regaining her place as one of Edmonton's top hotels.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank George B
Reviewed January 19, 2014

For a supposed high end hotel we will never go back as has been said several time the room temperature was unbareable we were ready to leave at 3am since neither of us could sleep. 28degrees all night. My wife never sleeps on top of the covers but did this time. Very disappointing anniversary.

Room Tip: Best bet is to avoid all together.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Patrick And Mar... F
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We are staying at Chateau Lecombe for 2 nights.
I agree with all other comments that mention that the staff is relly nice and do their best to accomodate you.
We did bought through expedia and they give us a room bigger and nicer than we originally was booked for.
The rooms need a total update thats for sure. But we didnt mind much until we decide to go bed
The room temperature was so high was imbelievable.it was showing 28 degree Celsius on our thermostate. Even with both windows open, the fan at the cooless and in maximum we had no change in temperature. It was impossible to sleep. At 0100 am we decide to finally call the front desk to explain our situation. They told us that the AC was not available for the winter period. We asked for a fan or something to cool down the room and they were unable to locate any fan. They offered us to change room witch we did. They sent us the security guard who agreed with us when he entered our room.
The second room was way smaller. From a queen bed with a relatively nice room size, we got transfer to a two double bed room. But again. The same problem with the room temperature, 27 degrees, even with window open and fan going on.. no change. My husband was pretty mad as it was now 0200 am and he as to be at work in 5hrs. Not to mention that I am 36 week pregnant and need my sleep as well. I decide to go back to the front desk and asked to please find us a fan or to put the temperature down for the rooms. She told me she didnt know where the fan were and nothing else she can do. Witch I truly believe. She explain to me that I should call after 0800am and they should be able to help us out with a fan. So here we are at 0400 am after few cold shower and sleeping in different bed trying to some how fall asleep. We were suppose to stay for an other night but I think we gonna change hotel as we cant sleep in this conditions.

Unfortunatly I would have a hard time to come back here, and its sad as for the rest it was good. But whats the point if we arent able to be confortable in the same bed my husband and I cause it ridiculously too hot and we cant sleep before going to work.

Karine and Darren McJannet

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank katgagnon
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Having always wanted to stay at the Chateau Lacombe, I was thrilled when I came across a great deal on Expedia that included breakfast. Upon arrival, my excitement quickly dissipated. As many people have stated in previous reviews, the hotel is in need of some desperate upgrades. The room was so-so, nothing spectacular. The view of the river valley was the only saving grace (I would highly recommend a room with a view of the valley; absolutely stunning).

The parking was horrible. I have never been so terrified driving in a parkade; you are literally staring at the roof at eye level as you drive down. Also to note, paying for parking is a bit confusing. If you pay at the pay station in the parking lot, it is cheaper than paying at the front desk but apparently only good until 6 am. We decided to risk it as we had already paid, and when we left around 9 am we did not have a ticket.

The breakfast buffet was not what I had envisioned for the hotel. The food was bland, they offered canned fruit only, and there were not many options. I was extremely disappointed.

Lastly, I found customer service to be lacking. After spending an entire day e-mailing the property trying to get a romance package, I was told it had to be set up early that morning (why not just tell me that in the first e-mail?). Checking in was no better; no friendly greeting or smiles.

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Chateau Lacombe, and would not recommend this property. I will definately not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thetinytraveler
R W, General Manager at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear JenSheremata,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the Chateau Lacombe with your valuable feedback.

When the hotel was opened, its design and architecture were celebrated. We are undergoing a 1.5 million dollar phased repair to the 600 stall parkade to be completed in spring 2014. Regrettably we are unable to raise the roof from its 6’2” inch entrance and 7 ft. ceilings. I’m sorry that the entrance was disconcerting for you. We will revisit the signage to clarify any confusion.

In May 2013, the hotel was purchased by a local businessman and is currently undergoing an extensive reinvestment to bring it back to its former iconic status and vision to be the best, most respected hotel in Edmonton. We will do this with significant reinvestment into the hotel product and our guest service. While we are enthusiastic, we also are realistic and understand that this will not occur overnight. I’m pleased to share that we have already started and are currently in the midst of a four floor, 63 guest room refurbishment, which will be completed in spring 2014.

Our team would welcome the opportunity to show you this first phase of our new guest rooms including private concierge lounge facing the gorgeous Edmonton river valley. The remainder of our guest rooms were refreshed in 2010 and will undergo a phased refurbishment as well.

Since May 2013, we have upgraded our breakfast offerings and continue to seek ways to improve our menu selections and daily rotations as we know that our discerning clients prefer diversity. I’m sorry that the selections were not to your liking.

Our daily breakfast buffet is served in Café Lacombe and is comprised of: coffee, tea, orange juice and decadent croissant, Danish, cinnamon buns and muffins craft-made by our celebrated Pastry Chef as well as a toast stations with a variety of breads.

In addition, our hot station offers a daily rotation:
- Oatmeal, or cream of wheat or porridge
- egg creation i.e.) scrambled with salsa or mushrooms or cheese or combination
- potatoes i.e.) hash browns, or taters or nuggets
- Bacon, back bacon, ham, or sausage
- Pancake, or waffle, or French toast with accompanying butters and syrups

Our cold station offers a variety of yoghurts, sliced fruit, whole fruit bowl, canned peaches, Cheese plate with assorted domestic and international choices, assorted selection of cold cuts, pickled herring, hard boiled eggs and much more.

We strive to deliver on our brand promise of excellence with guest service. We fell short with your reservations experience. Please reach out directly so that we may make this right for you.

Wishing you a memorable day,

Richard Wong
VP and General Manager

Reviewed December 30, 2013

When I check in on duty staff on the front desk was not much informative and responsive. But morning person was helpful. My overall experience was very bad . I don't think I got a proper value for the money I spend .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Shesha J
R W, General Manager at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you. We appreciate the time taken to ensure that we receive your hotel experience feedback.

In May 2013, new ownership and leadership team joined the iconic Chateau Lacombe. Our vision is to become the most respected hotel in Edmonton. We are reinvesting significant capital dollars to improve our hotel product and services for our discerning guests. Regrettably, we fell short in our expectations for your recent stay.

Please reach out directly so that we may make this right for you.

Wishing you a memorable day,