“Need update and cooler rooms.”

Chateau Lacombe Hotel
Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We are staying at Chateau Lecombe for 2 nights.
I agree with all other comments that mention that the staff is relly nice and do their best to accomodate you.
We did bought through expedia and they give us a room bigger and nicer than we originally was booked for.
The rooms need a total update thats for sure. But we didnt mind much until we decide to go bed
The room temperature was so high was imbelievable.it was showing 28 degree Celsius on our thermostate. Even with both windows open, the fan at the cooless and in maximum we had no change in temperature. It was impossible to sleep. At 0100 am we decide to finally call the front desk to explain our situation. They told us that the AC was not available for the winter period. We asked for a fan or something to cool down the room and they were unable to locate any fan. They offered us to change room witch we did. They sent us the security guard who agreed with us when he entered our room.
The second room was way smaller. From a queen bed with a relatively nice room size, we got transfer to a two double bed room. But again. The same problem with the room temperature, 27 degrees, even with window open and fan going on.. no change. My husband was pretty mad as it was now 0200 am and he as to be at work in 5hrs. Not to mention that I am 36 week pregnant and need my sleep as well. I decide to go back to the front desk and asked to please find us a fan or to put the temperature down for the rooms. She told me she didnt know where the fan were and nothing else she can do. Witch I truly believe. She explain to me that I should call after 0800am and they should be able to help us out with a fan. So here we are at 0400 am after few cold shower and sleeping in different bed trying to some how fall asleep. We were suppose to stay for an other night but I think we gonna change hotel as we cant sleep in this conditions.

Unfortunatly I would have a hard time to come back here, and its sad as for the rest it was good. But whats the point if we arent able to be confortable in the same bed my husband and I cause it ridiculously too hot and we cant sleep before going to work.

Karine and Darren McJannet

• Stayed: January 2014
2  Thank katgagnon

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Having always wanted to stay at the Chateau Lacombe, I was thrilled when I came across a great deal on Expedia that included breakfast. Upon arrival, my excitement quickly dissipated. As many people have stated in previous reviews, the hotel is in need of some desperate upgrades. The room was so-so, nothing spectacular. The view of the river valley was the only saving grace (I would highly recommend a room with a view of the valley; absolutely stunning).

The parking was horrible. I have never been so terrified driving in a parkade; you are literally staring at the roof at eye level as you drive down. Also to note, paying for parking is a bit confusing. If you pay at the pay station in the parking lot, it is cheaper than paying at the front desk but apparently only good until 6 am. We decided to risk it as we had already paid, and when we left around 9 am we did not have a ticket.

The breakfast buffet was not what I had envisioned for the hotel. The food was bland, they offered canned fruit only, and there were not many options. I was extremely disappointed.

Lastly, I found customer service to be lacking. After spending an entire day e-mailing the property trying to get a romance package, I was told it had to be set up early that morning (why not just tell me that in the first e-mail?). Checking in was no better; no friendly greeting or smiles.

I was very disappointed with my stay at the Chateau Lacombe, and would not recommend this property. I will definately not be returning.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thetinytraveler
R W, General Manager at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear JenSheremata,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the Chateau Lacombe with your valuable feedback.

When the hotel was opened, its design and architecture were celebrated. We are undergoing a 1.5 million dollar phased repair to the 600 stall parkade to be completed in spring 2014. Regrettably we are unable to raise the roof from its 6’2” inch entrance and 7 ft. ceilings. I’m sorry that the entrance was disconcerting for you. We will revisit the signage to clarify any confusion.

In May 2013, the hotel was purchased by a local businessman and is currently undergoing an extensive reinvestment to bring it back to its former iconic status and vision to be the best, most respected hotel in Edmonton. We will do this with significant reinvestment into the hotel product and our guest service. While we are enthusiastic, we also are realistic and understand that this will not occur overnight. I’m pleased to share that we have already started and are currently in the midst of a four floor, 63 guest room refurbishment, which will be completed in spring 2014.

Our team would welcome the opportunity to show you this first phase of our new guest rooms including private concierge lounge facing the gorgeous Edmonton river valley. The remainder of our guest rooms were refreshed in 2010 and will undergo a phased refurbishment as well.

Since May 2013, we have upgraded our breakfast offerings and continue to seek ways to improve our menu selections and daily rotations as we know that our discerning clients prefer diversity. I’m sorry that the selections were not to your liking.

Our daily breakfast buffet is served in Café Lacombe and is comprised of: coffee, tea, orange juice and decadent croissant, Danish, cinnamon buns and muffins craft-made by our celebrated Pastry Chef as well as a toast stations with a variety of breads.

In addition, our hot station offers a daily rotation:
- Oatmeal, or cream of wheat or porridge
- egg creation i.e.) scrambled with salsa or mushrooms or cheese or combination
- potatoes i.e.) hash browns, or taters or nuggets
- Bacon, back bacon, ham, or sausage
- Pancake, or waffle, or French toast with accompanying butters and syrups

Our cold station offers a variety of yoghurts, sliced fruit, whole fruit bowl, canned peaches, Cheese plate with assorted domestic and international choices, assorted selection of cold cuts, pickled herring, hard boiled eggs and much more.

We strive to deliver on our brand promise of excellence with guest service. We fell short with your reservations experience. Please reach out directly so that we may make this right for you.

VP and General Manager

Reviewed December 30, 2013

When I check in on duty staff on the front desk was not much informative and responsive. But morning person was helpful. My overall experience was very bad . I don't think I got a proper value for the money I spend .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shesha J
R W, General Manager at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Thank you. We appreciate the time taken to ensure that we receive your hotel experience feedback.

In May 2013, new ownership and leadership team joined the iconic Chateau Lacombe. Our vision is to become the most respected hotel in Edmonton. We are reinvesting significant capital dollars to improve our hotel product and services for our discerning guests. Regrettably, we fell short in our expectations for your recent stay.

Please reach out directly so that we may make this right for you.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had to make a last minute booking and was surprised to get a room at this location for the price.

First off the Chateau Lacombe in it's day was considered pretty swank so for me to be able to stay at a decent rate was a bit nostalgic.

The location is great, couldn't be better - plus the room had a great view of the river valley.

The hotel is definitely in need of some upgrades but overall not bad.

The room itself was big, actually huge for 1 person. I had no complaints about th room.

I did have room service and have to say it was pretty bad. Especially for the price tag associated with it. Calamari and nachos $50 after tax, service fee and tip. The calamari was awful

Stay away from the room service - bad.

The staff were friendly, no complaints there.

So I would say if you are looking for a decent place to stay that is affordable and centrally located go for it. But keep expectations in check!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank droggg

Happy New Year droggg,

Thank you for your thorough review of the Chateau Lacombe. Everyone is very busy these days, and your commitment to relaying your recent hotel stay is appreciated.

You may have heard that the historic Chateau Lacombe is being restored to its former glory. We are thrilled to return it to its original swankiness.

Please reach out directly so that we may address your in room dining experience. We need to make this right for you.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

We chose to stay at this hotel for our anniversary due to the fact we were dinning at La Ronde so we figured stay at the hotel. When I initially booked I could not believe I got an executive suite for the price I did! I thought I must have gotten a great deal....

Pro's and Cons

Pros-Check in was great, Vallet was quick, beds where comfortable. La Ronde Restaurant amazing.

Cons-This hotel needs some MAJOR updates, with the amount of competition out there, there is no need for them to be that outdated. Our room was huge yes, but so outdated it was ugly. no baseboards, old ragged furniture, gross tile in the bathroom. so much wasted space it was pointless. the only thing semi new was the TV. I'm surprised it wasn't a tube TV. I have stayed at many hotels in Edmonton and for there reputation I felt like Motel 8 had better rooms....

Breakfast what a joke, $40.00 it cost for a buffet of canned fruit, stale sausages, and bland waffles. I felt so ripped off after that I wish we would have gone to Mc Donalds, lol it would have tasted way better and would have been way cheaper.

Would I recommend NO. I would recommend the La Ronde but never the hotel. They need some serious work.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SarahandMarcel
R W, Director of Sales at Chateau Lacombe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Chateau Lacombe Hotel.

We appreciate the great feedback on our Guest Service Team including Bellmen. We are extremely proud of the La Ronde Restaurant. Personally, I’m so pleased that you had an enjoyable dining experience for your memorable celebration

I’m pleased to share that in May 2013, the hotel was purchased and under new Ownership and a new Leadership team, The Chateau Lacombe Hotel will be restored to its former glory.

We are under current refurbishment to four floors of guest rooms. These 63 guest rooms are in the midst of new wall and window coverings, carpet, case goods, and bathroom renovation. These new Club Floor Concierge rooms will have access an exclusive Concierge club lounge, private concierge and additional amenities for our discerning guests.

In addition, several million dollars have been reinvested into the hotel. Completed to date is:

• Phase One of an extensive hotel parkade repair and renovation
• Full lobby restroom renovation
• Our 9,000 sq.ft. ballroom has just received 700 ballroom chairs
• In the next week, La Ronde will undergo a refresh with all new chairs, window coverings and décor
• Our lobby and promenade furniture will arrive this week

Many of our guests enjoy the breakfast buffet in the Café Lacombe. I’m sorry that you were disappointed.

We would welcome the opportunity to make this right for your and to experience the new Chateau Lacombe.

Be well,