“Consistently good”

Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #13 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I stay here every time I come to Edmonton and have yet to be disappointed. I arrived in the early hours of the morning on this occasion and was greeted as ever with a cheerful smile and great efficiency. The room was up to the same great standards, and I don't know what they use as air freshener in this hotel, but I just love the smell. After a long hot shower I climbed into bed and had a great night sleep, followed by a breakfast meeting in the hotel the following day. The only criticism I would make of this hotel is the wifi - Presidents Club members can get free wifi to read e mails etc, but this no longer lets them stream, in order to do this they now have to pay for an upgrade. I resent having to pay for wifi these days, and actively seek out hotels that provide free high speed wifi as when you are on the road this is important to be able to wind down as well as for business purposes. This, I have to say , would make me think twice about seeing what else is around in the area as at the sort of prices that Fairmonts charge, you can find great hotels with free high speed wifi all over the world. its time they woke up to what a turn off this can be for business travellers and that they risk loosing loyal customers for the sake of a few dollars.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank seajay1111
Write a ReviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed March 10, 2014

This is a historic hotel in the middle of the city, overlooking the River Valley (our room).
We had a great stay, enjoying the property, with its retro ambience.
The room was spacious, very clean, with a mix of old style furniture with all modern conveniences you can ask for.
Swimming pool was a bit cold for an indoor, but the hot tub was great. Steam room was nice, but didn't check for the sauna.
The dinner at the Harvest Room was one of the best I've ever had! A bit pricey but that's what you get for the hotel.
Breakfast was excellent as well.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river valley will be more expensive, but the view is definitely the best!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tiago M
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for choosing to share your feedback on your most recent stay with us at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of all that we had to offer. It was disappointing to hear that you felt the pool was a bit on the cooler side. I will ensure that this is looked into. In addition, I will ensure your comments regarding our Food and Beverage offering are shared with my team.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed here for free so I cannot review the price of the stay, however my friend had a voucher for this hotel that was set to expire so we decided we should use it. The staff was very friendly attentive and helpful with anything we needed which truthfully wasn't much. At check in they helped us locate the West Edmonton Mall and other attractions in the city. The pool facility was stunning and it was great to use in the -40c weather outside. The room was comfortable and had a great view of a park across the way. I would be back for sure and though I stayed for free I would gladly pay whatever their seasonal rates were.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2014

As I have come to expect, the service was phenomenal as is with Fairmonts I have experienced in the past for work travel. My room here was very large and updated. It was a treat certainly. The location was fine (I had to take cabs most places anyway).
All in all, a nice property.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent a night here on Valentine's Day weekend and boy were we impressed! Upon arriving at the hotel we were greeted by the super friendly valet staff who were super courteous and took great care of our vehicle from the time we dropped it off to the time we picked it up on departure. We were greeted by the super friendly desk staff who informed us we got a free upgrade to the Deluxe Signature King Room. Pretty sweet way to kick off our stay! We got to our room and we were blown away; the room was huge! Along with the massive closet and spacious bathroom, this room has to go down as one of the best hotel rooms I've ever had. The view of the river valley from our room was super gorgeous. The bed was comfy and made for a relaxing sleep. Breakfast in the morning in the Harvest Room was really good with lots of options. The staff were super friendly the whole time and we were definitely not disappointed. If you want to splurge on a romantic weekend and feel like a celebrity, this is the place to do it in Edmonton!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your special Valentine’s Day weekend.

It was very satisfying to read your comments regarding your special weekend. We work very hard to ensure we deliver a seamless memorable experience and we are very pleased to hear that our efforts were rewarded. I will ensure your comments are shared with my team and we are very happy that we were able to have you feel like a celebrity.

We hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We went there for a week and the rooms are very clean, the porters were lovely even the dog was great, not very impress with the ladies in resection tho, they do not seem to know much of what is going on around them.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed there for one night to celebrate our anniversary. I had contemplated a trip out of town but decided that it might be good to stay local and save the hassle of traveling and the time involved. We were not disappointed at all by the decision. The room was great, the service was great, the amenities were very good, and the hospitality was amazing. I can't say enough about the ambiance, service and friendliness of the hotel lounge. If you're thinking of where to stay for a night, just to get away without actually leaving town, staying at the Hotel Mac is an option worth considering...we'll be doing it again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Happy Anniversary and thank you for choosing to stay with us for your special occasion and for taking the time to share your comments.

We are very pleased to be able to add to the enjoyment of your anniversary and we glad you found a special place close to home to utilize. I will ensure your comments are shared with my team and we hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.