“Great service all the way...”

Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #11 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I was amazed at how service was good, with everyone, from the housekeeper to the belldesk to the 4 Diamond restaurant servers.

2nd time there in 2 years, I'd say rooms would need renos...especially bathroom...but they did focus on the important stuff, and the beds are really comfy, they seemed new.

The public areas have this château look we kind of like, and need to keep, but the Harvest room could benefit from a major makeover, really...

The breakfast buffet could get more choices...

Service makes this hotel the best Edmonton has to offer for a lodging.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the river, otherwise, it can get pretty noisy even on the 4th floor faci...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights with our friends. We love everything. The food, the service, the location and the atmosphere. The only thing that disappointed me was I can not go out in the Balcony. there was a note that says falling snow..But overall, it was a great stay. Would recommend to everyone and I will come back here for sure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Fairmont is quickly becoming one of my favorite chains as I am in Canada more often on business. Was at Fairmont Calgary two days and then on to Edmonton and the Macdonald. Great check in and I had three rooms booked. Large and comfortable and the bar is cozy. Also had breakfast and it was great and our server wonderful. If you are a bargain hotel person this is not your place, but if you are a business traveler and appreciate amenities, this place is for you. By the way, the Fairmont has great bath products through a boutique company in New York and they are worthy of taking home with you, which I rarely do.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wendy B
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your feedback.

It was very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our Le Labo toiletries.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel but did enjoy a wonderful Easter Brunch there. We were in the Empire Ballroom and it was just lovely. Unlike other set ups you could easily walk around the tables with your food without having to move chairs. There was plenty of space. It was not crowded at all. Little to no lines for the food.

All of the food that my family and I tried was truley delicious. I had no complaints. There was something for everyone. The children could even make their own toast! The servers were on hand with champagne, orange juice, apple juice, coffee and tea.

The Easter Bunny came for a visit. He / she was amazing, really taking the time to visit at each table.

There was cookie decorating and an Easter Egg Hunt on the 2nd floor. My boys, although I thought were a bit old, really had fun looking for eggs. The Easter Bunny made another appearance there helping the little ones.

Overall, what a great way to spend Easter with family!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Famgal00
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Fairmont Hotels have the priviledge of having some of the most iconic looking hotels and locations. I stayed at this Fairmont for the first time on business. I was pleased to have a spacious room which as others note is not necessarily the norm with Faimont given the age and design of their properties. The room rate was comparable with other major hotels in the immediate downtown area.

The in-room dining prices were simply outrageous. I don't understand why hotels price themselves out of the meal and drink market causing valuable guest dollars to walk across the street to an outside restaurant / bar. Charge a premium but let's be reasonable. The economy may be better in Alberta but the food and bev pricing needs a reality check in general at this location.

My other comment would be to update some of the furnishings, carpets and bathrooms in the rooms. I felt like I was at my Grandmother's house. This is part of the character of Fairmont but I would prefer a bit of an upgrade to the rooms.

Service was excellent as always.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank DMW66

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your comments.

Our grand lady is a heritage building, which speaks to the character you mentioned in your feedback. We continue to work on the ongoing process of updating and enhancing our product continues. With regards to our In Room Dining pricing, I will ensure we complete a comparison to ensure we are within the currnet market pricing.

We do hope to welcome you back to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. The rooms are beautifully appointed, the beds are extremely comfortable, the arcitecture and decor of the hotel is timeless, the gardens are beautiful, and the service is excellent. My husband and I stay here whenever we spend the night together in Edmonton. The brunch on Sundays is the best in Edmonton. I couldn't more highly recommend a hotel in Edmonton.

Room Tip: Join their free loyalty program, the Presidents Club. The more you stay at any Fairmont Properties a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GarrettTurta, General Manager at Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the wonderfully noted recommendation on our Sunday Brunch and hotel as the place to stay while in Edmonton. Your comments are key to our continued success and development.

On behalf of the entire team, we look forward to welcoming you back soon in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stay at the MAC every Christmas as part of my husband's company Xmas party. We always have a beautiful suite with nothing but impeccable service. Looking forward to our next stay! Since we have stayed at two other Fairmont hotels including the Jasper Park Lodge and The Palisar in Calgary. The MAC is still our favorite!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple