“A little warmth in the snowy Edmonton winter” 5 of 5 stars

The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #11 of 94 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“A little warmth in the snowy Edmonton winter”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I agreed (oddly) to visit Edmonton in the middle of winter. I mean, I lived there for 7 years, so was no stranger to the weather that was typical for February 1st! So really, I should have known better... Now that I live in southern Ontario, I have lost any and all resistance to the cold.

Lately, I have had a string of really lovely hotel stays, and my few days at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald certainly kept the streak going. I was greeted warmly at the front desk and given a room at the end of the hallway on the 7th floor; an upgrade from what had been reserved. The room was huge and overlooked the frozen North Saskatchewan River. Weirdly, when I walked in, the room was half made. The bed sheets had been removed, but nothing else had been done. No matter, as I was on my way out the door to meet friends for dinner at Corso 32 just down the street on Jasper Avenue. I mentioned this to the front desk staff member on my way out, and she quickly attended to it. When I got back from dinner, the room was all made up, and there was a vase of roses, some fruit and a note of apology.

The room was decorated in the grand style of other vintage Fairmonts I have visited (the Empress in Victoria, the Banff Springs and the Royal York), and I was able to adjust the heat in the room so that it was nice and cozy! I've always found the Fairmont beds to be comfortable; not too soft and not too firm. And there was more than enough room for me to spread my belongings out. I always wonder, though, why it is that the credenza on which the TV is placed is never opposite the bed! But since I don't want much TV when I travel, it was not a big deal. The room, despite its size, was warm and cozy and the bathroom was remarkably big compared with other similar-era Fairmonts I have stayed in.

On both days I was there, I had breakfast in the Harvest Room restaurant. Although they have a big buffet, I always order off the menu; I am not an animal so am therefore not one for the trough. On both mornings, the waitstaff were bright and cheerful, and ready to keep my coffee warm before venturing out into the weather.

All in all, my stay at the Fairmont Hotel MacDonald was comfortable and stress-free. And in spite of the Edmonton cold, there is a warmth that percolates through the staff that always makes you feel welcome.

1 Thank YYZErnie
Connie J, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your detailed review of your recent visit on Trip Advisor.

We regret to learn that your experience was less than exceptional and apologize for any inconvenience these concerns may have caused during your stay.

We can assure you that this is not our standard, and we thank you for your understanding. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back, in hopes of restoring your confidence in us.

Should you wish to discuss your concerns further, please feel free to contact us directly via email at hotelmacdonald@fairmont.com

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald for our anniversary this past weekend. The hotel lobby is elegant and stunning! I paid for an upgraded room, king bed with river valley views. Views were perfect however the rest of the room just less than average. Although the bed itself was comfortable, the rest of the furniture was average. Nothing like the furniture in the lobby. Wall paper in the bathroom was peeling everywhere and there was even paper towel stuck to the ceiling in the shower :-s. In addition, the heating system rattled and buzzed waking us up all night. We both are not people at complain, but we were not impressed. We will not be staying at this particular hotel in Edmonton again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Brittney T
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tri p Advisor.

We appreciate your comments regarding your not to standard service experience. As a team we work diligently to ensure a comfortable and memorable experience, please know your feedback is helpful as we look at ways to continuously upgrade our historic property.

Connie Jakob - Guest Relations Manager
London, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed at the Macdonald because we were going to an event at the Shaw Conference centre, which was nearby. It was a very nice hotel, though it wasn't as impressive as other Fairmonts. We used the pool, which was quite large. I was disappointed when I heard it was in the basement but it did have windows and even doors going outside, which would have been nice if it was warmer! I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Next time I would ask for a river view room rather than a city view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate the feedback regarding your recent stay with us at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald.

Thank you for visiting with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guest Relations Managers
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I love staying at this hotel when I am in Edmonton. It is a convenient, beautiful hotel with great views of the river valley. My room was updated nicely but still had the classic charm of the hotel and the staff was friendly and helpful. Room service was prompt and accurate and the food was excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay downtown; I think it is a great choice.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review from your recent visit with us at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald. Your recommendation as a place to visit and stay when in Edmonton is much appreciated.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Guest Relations Manager
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A bit dated, but the service at this hotel excels... they look after you really well, and there is nothing left to be desired. The price was also quite competitive. The sable fish with soy glaze (a special) was delish.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the river
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We took the kids and stayed 1 night in a grand deluxe river view room and it was the best hotel experience. The staff / service was second to none and when speaking to staff, they actually enjoy working at the hotel which is nice to hear. The hotel has an air of welcome one and all and not at all pompous or stuck up. Yet it kept its luxury feel / status throughout our stay. The breakfast buffet was freshly cooked foods as well as cold european style fruits and cheeses. They were all very tasty indeed. We also spent the $32 on valet parking which was worth it considering minus 27c, we really felt for the staff outside valeting the cars, but they had happy smiles! The tiniest improvement would be to offer, as its an international hotel, more choice of newspaper than the Edmonton Sun!! We have experienced the Jasper Park lodge and yes the scenery there is clearly superior but it is the Macdonald staff that made our stay far more enjoyable than JPL, we will return Hotel Mac, thanks!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Connie J, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to complete such an extensive and detailed review of your recent visit to The Fairmont Hotel Macdonald. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your recent stay and sincerely appreciate your wonderful feedback on our property, service and team.

Your input on the choice of newspapers has been noted and shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Afif Salibi -Direcotr of Operations
Fort Collins, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights and thought this is was the perfect place to explore parts of Edmonton. I found that the room was spacious, comfortable and easy to connect with wifi. The staff was friendly and helpful with requests.

When I arrived, I mentioned to the front desk employee (Mona) that the airline had lost my bag and it had everything I needed for the week. Not only did she empathize with my problem but she took it upon herself to make multiple calls to the airlines and reported back to me what she found. The bag ended up coming the same night. I think it is rare to find that degree of care and concern by a hotel staff member.

I would definitely stay here again as it is located right next to the largest outdoor park system in North America and close to downtown restaurants and retail shops.

Room Tip: My room faced the back and at night I could see the colorful pyramids of the botanical gardens out t...