“Very Nice hotel”

Fairmont Hotel Macdonald
Ranked #13 of 91 Hotels in Edmonton
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Beautiful historic hotel in downtown Edmonton. Very nice foyer. Rooms are small but very well decorated. Air conditioner didn't work that well and the room was quite warm throughout the night. Very clean hotel.

1  Thank Cgyguy30
Write a ReviewReviews (1,132)

Reviewed December 23, 2011

When we first arrived we were greeted by the valet who took our car right away and instructed us on how to pick up the car when needed.

As we walked into the lobby, we were immediately impressed by the beautiful Christmas tree and how pretty the decorations were throughout the hotel.

We were pleasantly greeted by the employee at the front desk who made us feel very welcomed for staying at the hotel. She also offered us a room upgrade from Queen beds to a King.

The rooms were nice with high ceilings, which made the room look a lot more spacious. The bathroom was standard and included a robe for hotel guests to use during their stay. Extras in the room included a single serve coffee maker,
fridge (juice,water,alcohol etc.) snacks for purchase, i-pod dock/ alarm clock and and in-room safe. Wifi was also available for a fee.

The restaurant had a good selection of breakfast items, served by friendly staff.

The lounge downstairs by the lobby was absolutely beautiful with lots of windows for spectacular views.

The room for our Christmas party was very nicely decorated in dark wood with again spectacular views. The food was great for our function and everyone had a great time!!

I would recommend this hotel for its location, friendly service and old world charm.

Reviewed December 9, 2011

Stayed on the 4th floor in a suite on a Friday night for an Office Party that was held at the hotel. My room was very good, and the King bed was very comfortable. The South River view was very nice, but the ballroom is on that side of the hotel so i could hear music downstairs until after 1am. The bathroom and carpet were dated, but the overall charm of the hotel made it worth our while. Undergrownd Parking is a long walk, some of which is in a covered outside tunnel and it is not a great deal at $16 overnight for guests, so you are better off to just valet it for 30$
Weekend Brunch in the Harvest room is outstanding, ask for a garden view even in the winter. Lastly, if you have an afternoon to kill, my wife and I frequent the couples massage package at Evelyn Charles Spas in Edmonton Center across the street (Makes for a great way to unwind)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed during the Canadian Finals Rodeo, so the hotel was full. There were conferences being hosted at the same time. Despite the fact that the staff was under a lot of pressure, they were polite and helpful. The room was large, with one king size bed and a seperate bathroom. It had been cleaned very well and the furniture and bedding was in excellent condition. Service at dinner was very slow, due to the number of guests but the food was excellent.
The best part of our stay was the opportunity to see fabulous architecture. There are brochures in the hotel that inform about the cost of the original build and the re-furbishment. In the summer, it must be incredible to sit on the patio and look down at the river below: while eating dinner of course!

There is a modern health and fitness facility in the basement, two full-size squash courts, a good size swimming pool, a large hot tub and a large steam room.

We have stayed in The Westin ( a one minute walk away) The customer service, atmosphere, standard of accommodation and the fitness facilities far exceed anything you would find there. If you visit Edmonton regularly on business, you'll find you are made to feel at home at The Macdonald. We have stayed on three seperate occasions in November 2011 and we will be back during December.

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the river- the views are superb and its quieter than being next to the ro...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2011

Initial review. Will update after entire stay is complete.
Check in was a breeze. No problems there. Fantastic front end staff. We requested to change rooms to see the river valley. That request was met without issue. Upon arriving in our upgraded room, we were initially happy, the view is spectacular. It ends there. I found hair in the sink and in the tub. There is one drinking glass for water. The room is nice, but tiny. The bathroom vanity area is small...ladies there is no room to place toiletries at all. The shower is nice, although the bathtub is obviously as old as the hotel.
My husband is allergic to down, this morning he was stuffy and red in the eyes. Personally I didn't mind the duvet and pillows, but I'll call the front desk too see how they handle this issue. I'm hoping we move to another room :)
We enjoyed a cocktail staff in the Harvest Room last night. Nice environment, great staff. So far the staff have made this experience a good one. The hair in the bathroom not so much.

Reviewed December 4, 2011

Before I mention “Jimmy” let me say I have stayed a number of times before “Jimmy” left the Palliser.
The MacDonald is a nice hotel, on the edge of town with a fantastic view of the river. That is where the good things end. The reception staff on all my stays were surly and unhelpful. The Valet/Bellboys were indifferent. The rooms are pleasant and light but I find the hotel impersonal and a little hostile. I went called in to see “Jimmy” and give the hotel a 3rd chance to impress me. The Valet/Bellboy pleaded ignorance to knowing “Jimmy” but I did find out that he had transferred from the Palliser (a fantastic hotel in Calgary – read my review) where I had known of him for a number of years. Within a month of transferring he had had a personal clash with a member of management at the hotel and left. He had apparently gone to the Marriot. The Fairmont’s loss. After a night at the MacDonald I checked out and went to the Bank Boutique Hotel just over the road. A smaller more personal hotel. The MacDonald was still as bad as I remembered, nothing had changed, I will try it sometime again in the future when my memory fades. The staff may have changed by then and improved their attitude towards guests.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a view over the river it is the only asset the hotel has
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We were in Edmonton on business, and were so glad we chose this impressive hotel. The room and bed were very comfortable, nice amenities, and the view of the river was lovely. But the real bonus is the hotel's atmosphere, with it's beautiful structure and warm decor, live music in the lounge, excellent food, drinks and service. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business