“Nothing fancy”

Neighborhood: Calgary Trail South
Cross street: 34th Ave
“Nothing fancy”
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I went there with a friend, just need a place to eat and talk. We were both new to this style of dining. The meat was in watery sauce, shrimps covered with thick ice, by the time you get a bowl of raw materials, you are holding considerable amount of water. I saw one person dumped the water into a nearby garage can, I can totally understand the action and had to blame myself not brave enough to do so. You pay as per weight.

The food was cooked okay, but very plain in taste. I asked more sauce and it became much better. Without the extra sauce, I am afraid I can't finish the plate.

The funny part is about the waitress, she introduced 3 complementary soups, we did not get the 2nd one (an unfamiliar name), so we asked about the 2nd type. The waitress started with #1 again and repeated exactly what she just said. We had to ask again what exactly was #2 soup? She started again with #1 and I had to stop her and asked: can you just introduce #2. She admited it will be hard to remember the details if starting from the middle, so we listened one more time about the #1 - chicken wonton soup.

When I asked for extra sauce, the waitress asked what sauce did you want? I said what did you have? She said basically that will be same sauce as they offered on the material table. I had to ask again, can you please remind me what did you have on your table?

My friend and I still had a good time, the environment was pretty good, it was a quiet place (at weekday) to gather and chat in this part of downtown - if food is not the key focus for your visit.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank web_passenger

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Gone downhill, disappointed”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We planned a family dinner to celebrate a birthday and were very disappointed in the extremely poor service not to mention the quality of the food. I'm not accustomed to eating undercooked crunchy rice. So sad that several members of our family had their first experience here turn out so poorly. I used to frequent this establishment for business lunches but based on last night's events, I won't be back.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Sandi S
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Very cool”
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I like the concept that u get yo pick everything u want and watching the chef cook it. Will b back
20 bucks for a large stir fry is a great price :)

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank hotelandbeverage
Edmonton, Canada
“So-so meal and very slow”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

While I've been to the downtown Edmonton location several times in the past (and Whistler once), we have never been to the Calgary Trail location before. Thought we would give it a try. Upon being seated we were told since it was Tuesday all meals were $20, regardless of size. Luckily we negotiated with the manager to to be able to share 1 meal since we don't normally pig out. The restaurant was not busy as we prepared our bowl, however we had to wait over 1/2 hour until the grill cook actually started to cook the meal. Being right beside the grill we saw him working away, alone, to serve the entire restaurant. In the meantime we were served lukewarm wonton soap with thick noodles and little taste. Overcooked meal finally arrived and we split the meal on the 2 plates supplied. Both agreed size of meal was okay for a light supper but not worth $20 - thank goodness we did not have to spend $40.
When the Mongolie Grill first opened years ago you used to get a vast pot of rice and/or a large amount of steamed mu-shu pork wraps with the meal. Not any more. 2 small scoops of rice served under the stirfry.
Very disappointed with everything since I really like the idea of choosing my own ingredients for the stirfry. I have numerous allergies and this is a great way to actually see what you are truly getting in your meal.
Needless to say, we will not back to any Mongolie grill restaurant. Too slow, too expensive (even with the 2 or 1 deal we got), too ignored by servers, etc. While the grill cook seemed to work steadily, the wait staff seemed notably absent.
I guess if I want self serve stir fry again, I will go to Panda in Leduc. Much cheaper, albeit far less atmosphere but the food is served quickly and properly cooked, with enough rice to make a meal.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank PPLMoi
Edmonton, Canada
“facility needs a good rebuild and cleaning...”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Standard fill you bowl experience, but you pay for what you fill by weight, and can easily become thirty dollars for a single meal if heavier products are mainly selected. Served with rice, which becomes an overkill when one prefers noodles, and pays for those. It would be a better choice as a noodle or rice option for the starch. Soup is also included as a starter.

Standard acceptable service.

We have been to the downtown location on Jasper for the last few times. This south side location, which was opened first, is needing a major rebuild. Rug looks extremely filthy.

General cleanliness needs to be improved. Plastic table coverings feel sticky. Menus have food products on them...

• Visited August 2013