“Clean and Modest Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #86 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Clean and Modest Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

The Sands staff was friendly and accommodating. The rooms are outdated and the AC didn't work (we were there in the summer), although when we called the front desk, they sent someone up to try to fix it right away. It worked sporadically for the rest of our week stay. The internet is horrible, it worked the first day and then didn't work again for the rest of the time we were there, I asked a few times about it, and they said that they were having problems with it. Unfortunately it was something I really needed while I was there so it was a major downfall of my stay. The hotel is pet friendly which was great for us and they treated our dog great. When taking the dog out at 1am during the week, there were some teenagers out front smoking and drinking and being a little loud but they didn't bug us, I think they might have been trying to get into the bar/casino attached to the hotel (I think thats what it is, I didn't actually go inside) The Sands has lots of free parking, and is close to the highway.. but there is no pool, fitness room or activity room.. There is a restaurant, and breakfast is included if you pay a daily rate but extra if you pay a weekly rate.. my grandparents stayed there for a couple days when they came to visit us and said the breakfast was ok but they charged them extra for coffee, its not included in the specials... overall you get what you paid for.. its cheaper then downtown, clean but outdated, and nothing extra included. I would suggest this hotel for someone looking for a clean bed to lay your head, not recommended for families or people wanting to walk somewhere from the hotel... good place if you want a cheap place close to Rexall Place..

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Andrea W
AmritGrewal, Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Thank you for your comments.
To share an update of our Hotel with you, The AC is brand new in each room with your own control of temperature. The WIFI is now with Live port VS our other carrier and is quick to get onto the Internet. Yes we are DOG friendly on our 1st & 2nd Floor which makes our guests pleased to have them by their side. We are very close to Rexall which is very accommodating for events that all will attend and our guests have felt safe walking back & forth.
We have completed some updates in our Hotel since your last stay and are going forward with more changes that I am excited for all to see.
Christee - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2014

We have held our annual dinner at the Sands for a number of years. This year 50 people attended, again with little or NO complaints. Food, service and staff attitude was great.

The cost per plate, however is getting up there as they charged us for room rental this year on top of the $29.00 per person buffet charge... Next time we will have to consider a smaller room and menu to try and lower costs either that or look for a place where room rental doesn't apply..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

1 Thank Bruce M
AmritGrewal, Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
I am pleased that the service and food were to your group’s satisfaction.
I understand that there was an error on room rental charges; however I did not see you add to your comment that we IN FACT refunded you that full amount.
Christee – General Manager
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Rooms are excellent, Staff is really polite and helpful. Lounge needs some updates but over all was a great experience and would definitely stay here again. #Harry working at Front Desk is great. You get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Rooms on Third Floor are great.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

3 Thank Harry757575
AmritGrewal, Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 15, 2014
Thank you for your comment!
We appreciate all customers’ comments and wanted to share that we are at present working with designers to renovate our Lounge! We are very excited!
Also I am pleased that our Front Desk Manager; Harry, was memorable as he aims to please all of our Guests along with his Team and Staff at the Hotel!
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

This hotel is one of the older hotels. I remember this place when I was a kid growing up. I had tickets to an Oilers game and I remember the last game I went to we stayed at the Ramada. At the end of the game we waited for over an hour for a cab. This time I wanted to stay somewhere closer so if we had to it was in walking distance. The place is for its age as clean as could be expected. The one thing my wife and I did find annoying was the fact that the bathroom fan was wired to the light switch and the fan was loud. They also offer smoking rooms. The front desk was always friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Walking distance to Rexall Place
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dale T
Thank you for your comments!
You are correct; we are an older Hotel however with a new Management Team that is working very hard to give the Sands Hotel a new identity!
We are in the process of adding new designs, and one of them is in our rooms!
Big changes in 2014 and I am excited for you to see them!
Thank you for staying with us!
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

The staff and location were great. We went to a hockey game at Rexall Place. The rooms themselves could use some updating and maintenance. We were given a quiet room away from the elevator so that was great.

Room Tip: It was close to Rexall Place for a hockey game.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank seeing-the-globe
Christee R, General Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this review, July 15, 2016
I hope next time you are in Edmonton and in our area you will book one of our renovated rooms. I am sure you will be pleased with the changes!
Fredericton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We planned a trip to Edmonton for a family event and we had the hotel booked by a family member who lives out there. We stayed the first time 7 days and when we returned from British Columbia, we stayed another 4 days. We had nothing but excellent service from the staff at the front desk, housekeeping and the staff in the restaurant. They always would say "hello" and "how was your day?". Our rooms were clean and tidy and we never had any problems receiving any more towels or anything we needed for our stay. We even recommended the hotel for family that were flying in to the family event who stayed also.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank smilingtj1
Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

So I booked this hotel sight unseen and just needed a cheap hotel that accepted pets for my move to Fort McMurray.

I got a great deal on the room, but when we first pulled in I was a bit uncomfortable. There was a large group of sketchy looking very shabbily dressed men hanging out by the lobby, but after my sometimes too friendly hubby had a chat with them it turns out this hotel houses a lot of workers going to and from the oil camps in Fort McMurray and these guys had just arrived from Africa to work up there. They turned out to be very nice so it put me at ease a bit, although I was still cautious about the area.

I asked about security for parking because I had a brand new jeep with a trailer full of all my belongings and I couldn't help but imagine an oceans 11 type heist happening and someone driving away with the trailer hitched to their car (Even though I had a hitch lock) but apparently parking is monitored which let me sleep easy.

The elevator was pretty creeky and old which I usually wouldn't care about but I had to bring a lot of stuff in and out and sometimes was too bagged down to take the stairs. (I'm one of those people who would rather break her own arms then make two trips to the car to get groceries.)

When we stepped off the elevator there was a stale odor of piss. "Oh god no, I hope that's pet piss I'm smelling." I moaned as we made our way to our room. I held my breath and opened the door and was surprised to find a pleasant (non smelly) room that even had a Shaw box with full channels (except the naughty channels) and clean looking sheets and a nicely washed bathroom. "Not bad." was my first thought.

Again, I paid very little for this place and got my full pet deposit back. (At some places it's non refundable) and I felt my vehicle was safe. What more could I ask for? I even ventured to have breakfast at their charmingly sketchy little cafe and didn't get sick while enjoying a tasty 6$ breakfast with what looked like a lot of the local seniors. My travel tip of the day is always look for places packed with seniors if you're looking for a good breakfast spot. They find the cheap places that wont make you sick (They know their frail and wont risk dying for a 6$ breakfast) That's also how i find the good fast food places that uphold health standards for breakfast if there aren't any local mom and pop shops around.

So overall I wasn't in fear for my life, and the room was nice and clean and at the end of the day for the price I paid and the ample amount of parking and location (close to everything) I couldn't have asked for more which is why my rating nudged up to very good from just basic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple