“Worst hotel ever”
Review of Sands Inn & Suites

Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #82 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Didn't actually spend the night but was supposed to. Had to cancel the room becuase my spose was in car accident and they still charged me a $50.00 cancellation fee! Unbelievable....worst hotel... Will never stay here or encourage other people to do so

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristina L
Christee R, Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Good Afternoon Kristina L
I was very surprised to see your review Title as "Worst Hotel Ever"
I understand the frustration you may have felt when our front desk specialist stated that a cancellation fee could be charged due to the last minute notification of your reservation.
24 hours notice is common courtesy for any cancellation, unfortunately unforeseen things happen, and we took into consideration your circumstances and you were in fact "NOT CHARGED " any amount.
Should you have any questions, please contact myself personally
Christee

There are newer reviews for Sands Inn & Suites

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Me and my husband stayed at the sands , very clean, nice service from front desk staff, we ate in the restaurant and were very pleased with the girl serving us, the food was great and fast, later that evening we went to the games room where the staff were also very nice, overall great hotel great people , will for sure be back thanks

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Dannydrich
Christee R, General Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2016

I hope next time you are in Edmonton and in our area you will book one of our renovated rooms. I am sure you will be pleased with the changes!

Reviewed October 29, 2012

This hotel is one of the best hotel, clean and modern rooms, good food, and very professional and friendly staff.

I will definately come again. I encourage couples, and families to come and enjoy this wonderful hotel. It is located in the heart of Edmonton.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank kollie f

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This so called hotel should be embarrassed to call itself that, as it doesn't compare to hotel standards and really should keep its name to Motor Inn. It is lacking in many ways for the rooms; jacuzzi with floaties in it, dirty glass, cigarette burns, stains on comforter, and leftover hardened food stuck on the carpet. The noise you hear from the heater, and running water in the pipes can keep light sleeper up all night. If you like hearing screaming kids and seeing half naked people in the hall, then this is the place to be. You can also risk taking the elevator that's probably 30-40 years old with no emergency button, or you can drag your luggage up an old, narrow stairway.

But the worst is the level of service, from the front desk clerks to the manager, there is clearly no communication and care for the guests. The ONE thing that was done right, was the manager called to apologize for an error. However, to fix the situation, she offered breakfast on the house.

When we arrived, again no one knew what was going on, even after I clarified the day before with the manager that the front desk staff would be able to help me. By this point, I was getting angry from the lack of knowledge and responsibility from any staff to fix the situation and. I even showed emailed from the manager to the staff, and they still stood there trying to figure out what to do. This level of service would never be provided at a 'hotel' ever.

Will never set foot in this place ever again and if you were smart, you wouldn't either.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LovingSunandSand
Reviewed October 21, 2012

A time machine has finally been invented. It's called the Sands Motor Inn. Walking into the lobby you're bombarded with wood paneling, country music, and the smell of old people. All that's missing is sawdust on the floors. But what can you expect from a place that uses their VLT machines and dart boards as a selling point to attract guests?

The Sands are apparently trying to change their image, at least on paper, from a scummy Motor Inn to a decent hotel. They call themselves the Sands Hotel but their vintage 1970s-era sign out front still reads "Sands Motor Inn". My wife and I didn't know until after our stay here that a woman had been viciously beaten in one of the first floor rooms in July of this year. Look it up.

The staff isn't rude but they're not all that attentive either. There was a used, unwashed glass on the table in our room that the cleaning staff had missed prior to our check-in, the window was a huge pain to open and close, and the couch cushions had holes in them from cigarette burns. The elevator is smaller than most closets and the elevator floor looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. They have free wifi but it is freakishly slowwwwww.

We went there because we had a discount voucher for a one night stay in the jacuzzi suite which comes with a free bottle of champagne and a free breakfast for the following morning. We thought it would be a nice way to spend a weekend. When we checked in, the front desk clerk seemed a little confused as to what the promotion entailed but it wasn't a big deal. The next morning we took our vouchers to the "hotel" restaurant, where the server condescendingly says, "These are only good on Monday to Friday, today is Sunday." Perfect. We decided to just cut our losses and leave. The manager called my wife to apologize for the miscommunication with the restaurant and invited us to come back for the free breakfast. Unfortunately that would require us to have to return to this place which I have no intention of doing.

The Sands have a long way to go in the way of cleaning up their image. They can start by establishing some sort of continuity amongst the staff. If you have a new promotion you have to let everyone know what it consists of. The staff look unprofessional wearing jeans, it isn't compatible with the way the Sands are marketing themselves. Some renovations to the interior would be a huge plus too.

Room Tip: Ask for room at the end of the hall, away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jfgtl

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Sands Hotel was clean, comfortable and friendly. The staff were very helpful when I reserved our room over the phone and our room was ready for us when we arrived. The restaurant had excellent food at very reasonable prices. Defininitely will stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Deanne A

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Everything you need in a place to stay. Clean rooms and welcoming staff. Good vending machines and bags for your buckets. Quality sheets on the bed. Good bar and buffet!!Close distance to rexall, that's why we stayed and we were able to save on cab fare because we walked. We'll be back =)

• Stayed: August 2012