Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South
TripAdvisor
$154
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfront deskturkey sausagesouth common shoppinghi expressgreat hotelquick checkeasy accessbreakfast areafree breakfastclose to the airportparking lotfridge and microwavehot tubnice sizeconvenient locationclean roomsshopping and restaurants
Reviewed November 17, 2010

I stay often at this hotel. Breakfast area is larger then most Holiday Inn. The room are not the High End package that some Holiday Inn Expresses have but are still nicer then a Days Inn etc.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Manynights
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed there once before and thought it was fantastic. We had decided to stay again this past weekend so we called nearly 2 weeks in advance to make sure there was availability. This particular weekend was quite busy as it was the rodeo weekend and most places were filling fast, so we were VERY happy to hear that not only was there rooms left, but we were able to reserve a suite to keep our infant in the other room and have our own space to sleep in. We also reserved a crib as our baby is 10 months old and quite mobile, which according the front desk agent, was not a problem.

On our way to Edmonton from Fort McMurray we witnessed a head-on collision, were about 10 feet from being a 3rd party in this very accident, and as a result were late getting to the hotel (checked in around 8pm). Upon arrival, we were told there were no cribs left.
We decided to go up to the room to see if there was a way to make it work as (previously stated) it was a very busy weekend and we were afraid to leave in case there was no where else to stay. When we got up to our room, there was a queen sized bed and a hide-a-bed...not suitable for an infant. I called down to the front desk and asked them if they could go to Toys-R-Us to buy either a crib or a playpen...Obviously there wasn't enough in stock and they needed to add to their hotel anyhow. I was on the phone with the very same man who reserved my room (and clarified that there WOULD be a crib ready for us upon arrival) nearly 2 weeks prior...and he told me no. He also told me that the cribs are on a "first come, first served" basis and suggested that I put my infant on the hide-a-bed.
We searched around the city and found another hotel with suitable beds for us and our baby.

When we went to the front desk to tell them that we were unable to stay, the other front desk attendant told me that other people had made reservations up to 2 months prior and they were given the cribs...and then she shrugged her shoulders while giving us the "your loss" toned apology.

Neither one of the attendants took responsibility for screwing up the reservation. They both made up excuses for something that was completely unacceptable...and then she also took back the complimentary water bottles and granola bars!!!

If they screwed up...they should have called us far in advance so we could make other arrangements..It was a VERY busy weekend, and we were from Fort McMurray...and we had been through quite a traumatizing day.

This was VERY poor judgement on their part...an apology accompanied by taking responsibility for their actions would have helped their cause...it certainly wouldn't have hurt them...and they could have at LEAST let us keep the water and granola bars.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2010

Arrived after having a heck of a time finding place-not the hotels fault.

Waited in line at front desk for quite some time.

Carpet in room was filthy- room was new and furnished nicely but dirty.

I asked for a bill in the morning and was told I could not obtain one because I was "not a real guest because I booked with travelocity" I also mentioned that I did not get a newspaper in front of my door like the other guests and I was told that TRavelocity guests do not receive these privilages. In both cases the staff was not very friendly about it. I will never stay in this location again

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2010

Good day brohwer,

Thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. Clearly many opportunities as a team, that we must review.

Most importantly though, we need to get the Third Party Intermediate (TPI), is this case Travelocity, explained. Booking reservations through a TPI may have some advantages like lower rates. Where a lot of guests request for an invoice at check out, we cannot provide one, reason being the guest pays the TPI (not the hotel) for their reservation. A TPI will charge guests right away at the time of reservation, where for the most part, booking with the hotel guests are charged at the end of their stay (some conditions apply). The easiest way to explain this would be look at your credit card statements to see who charged you, they would be the ones to provide an invoice.

The 2nd part of a TPI reservation is some privileges are lost, such as points. Again, if a guest uses a TPI, the guest is paying the TPI, we cannot give points to a TPI company to then have them distribute points. Newspaper delivery is a Priority Club Member privilege, but there are usually a few extra news papers in the lobby area, which are a first come first serve. The only way to guarantee a newspaper would be to enroll in the Priority Club Membership.

I will ensure that both above points are topics of discussion and reviewed in training for front desk. Our agents should be able to communicate this information effectively as you're not the first to bring up these concerns. Whenever a third party is involved, where we invoice the TPI and not the guest, there are bound to be some challenges.

I was sorry to hear that there was a longer wait period at check in, I'll review and follow up to ensure efficient check in times are being met and I apologize in the delay. We do encourage our agents to inform our guests of all amenities and answer any questions at check in, but making an educated decision as to when and where has to be determined.

Lastly, I appreciate that you've informed us of the room being dirty at check in. Our housekeeping team takes a lot of pride in cleaning the rooms to the highest standard and have had a lot of moments to celebrate. We still have room to grow as a team and your comments only prove that we are far from where we need to be as a hotel and business here on the Southside of Edmonton.

Understanding that the location wasn't the best for you, I hope that you give us an opportunity to show you who we really are here at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites - Edmonton South, and look forward to that chance to create a new memory of us.

Once again, thank you for your review, and if I missed any details please do not hesitate to contact me personally here at the hotel at 780-440-5000 or via email at gm@hiexedmsouth.com.

Reviewed October 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at his hotel for one night while having tests done at the U of A hospital. We are Priority Rewards members so part of the incentive to stay here was the double points/air miles promotion however we often have stayed at the H.I. on the west side of Edmonton and were very satisfied. This hotel is new and uniquely positioned to serve clients in the south end unless you find the Super 8 an acceptable choice (a few blocks north on Calgary Trail). It's not right on Calgary Trail but easily accessed by a service road that runs parallel to the Trail. Follow the directions they provide on the email confirming your reservation and you will be fine.

At first we were dismayed to find the parking lot at the front of the hotel was already full when we arrived until we realized there was ample, well-lit parking at the back. Word must be out about how great a choice this establishment is as the back lot was 3/4's full as well.

We were greeted by a very friendly front desk agent who had our keys ready along with a granola bar and bottle of water for a quick re-energizing snack. Both the warm greeting and the refreshments were greatly appreciated after a 5 hour drive.

The room had 2 Queen beds and all in all met the high standards that we've found is part and parcel to the Holiday Inn chain. Quality bed linens (a fresh duvet not a nasty bacteria bearing nylon bedspread - YES!) added to the comfort of the bed and I enjoyed a sound sleep that night. I did notice something peculiar in the way they tuck the duvet in. It's so low on the bed that you really have to re-adjust the bedding if you want your shoulders to be covered. We found this to be the same at the H.I. in Comox that we stayed at in April of this year. Odd? Room temperature was easily controlled by thermostat on the wall near the bathroom. Our room was equipped with a nice sized fridge and a microwave which, had we been staying longer, would have been a real bonus (you wont' find this at the local Super 8 or the Hampton Inn).

Fluffy towels, good water pressure and a very tidy bathroom made getting up at 6 a.m. more bearable. I guess they expect most of their guests to be basketball players as the shower head was at a height that was ony suitable for those 6'2" and taller. Not a big deal as the pressure was good just not ideal for those of us that are more petite.

We didn't have an opportunity to check out the complimentary breakfast (6:30 to 9:30 a.m.) due to our early arrival at hospital but expect it's more than adequate to get you going for the day. Express check out envelope was waiting for us in the morning. Nothing more to do than toss them your card keys and you are on your way!

This hotel is ideally situated near the South Common shopping area - complete with IKEA :) - which is only a couple of blocks down Calgary Trail. There is something there for everyone including a few outlet stores.

Overall I was very pleased with our stay and would highly recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bonbon242
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2010

Good day Bonbon242,

Thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. So many moments in this review to celebrate with the team, which I look forward to sharing with at our next town hall. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

We are always very happy when a guest comments about the wonderful service they have received and that we continue to meet the standards expected at all Holiday Inn Express hotels.

We receive a lot of great comments about having a fridge and microwave in every room, a decision we knew all guests would appreciate. It's unfortunate that you didn't make it for breakfast, perhaps a future stay will provide the opportunity to enjoy our complimentary hot breakfast, the cinnamon buns get us every time!

I will have our maintenance team to take a look at the shower head heights as a few guests have mentioned the height being a challenge, but glad the Simply Smart Kohler showerhead provided enough pressure.

We're happy you also brought up location. The Edmonton South Common shopping area has expanded with restaurants and outlet stores that will surely please everyone.

Many thanks again for your kind comments and if there was anything else you wanted to bring to our attention please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 780-440-5000 or at gm@hiexedmsouth.com.

Reviewed October 18, 2010

Nice newer rooms. The Wi-Fi not that good, however, was able to use a loaner cable to plug into the wall outlet. That worked great. The room had a microwave and frig and the rest you would expect. The morning breakfast bar is as good or better than any I've experienced. It's fairly close to the International Airport, good shopping and dining opportunities.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2010

Good day ruffjrj,

Thank you for your most recent review of our hotel. It's always a great to share our guests reviews and comments with the team.

We've seen concerns with our wi-fi and we are working hard to update our systems in place. We do carry some ethernet cords at the front desk and glad it solved the issue at hand.

Our complimentary breakfast offers many options as we adhere to the Intercontinental Hotel Group standards. We just recently got the approval for the Western Omelette, Sausage links and ham slices.

Location is an added bonus that a lot of our guests share with us, 20 minutes from the airport south of us, and 20 minutes to downtown north of us.

Many thanks again for your comments and if there was anything else you wanted to bring to our attention, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 780-440-5000 or at gm@hiexedmsouth.com.