“So Far So Good -- I recommend this hotel...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South
Ranked #35 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Edmonton, Canada
“So Far So Good -- I recommend this hotel...”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at this hotel on several occasions as everything perfect for me here. Convenient location and very good customers oriented. All facilities were user friendly, from the business centre to the fitness centre and the heated indoor pool… if I need extra towels, I just went to front desk and the staff on duty gave it to me immediately.
Breakfast was a big plus to the already good value room rate. I also enjoyed the bright clean room and super comfortable bed. I found it relaxing lying in the couch watching the free movies after a long busy day.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Oreo C,
Thanks very much for your good review. We are extremely happy that you have an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us during your busy business trip.

On behalf of our hotel management and staff team, we are very grateful for your kind recommendations of our hotel to all. We understand that all our hard work are being observed and appreciated. All of us here are working diligently every day in order to deliver superb quality customer services efficiently to our dear guests.

We are so glad that you are one of our loyalty guests and please remind us in any way we could further improve our hospitality service standard.

Once again, thanks for being so supportive and we hope to see you back soon.

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edmonton South

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Alberta
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The room was so filthy! We didn't want to touch anything. The one day, housekeeping sprayed air freshener instead of cleaning. Gave me acute asthma for 2 days. Pool was so cold even my daughter wouldn't go in. Service was horrible. Rude, unfriendly snotty girl at the desk upon check-in. The only thing we liked was the breakfast. It was good, staff was friendly and attentive. Otherwise have nothing good to say.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EllenRMT
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear EllenRMT,

Thank you for taking time to write us a review on your January 2013 stayed with us.

First of all, thank you for telling us our breakfast and the staff was friendly and attentive.

Secondly, we are sorry that our room and freshener scent not appealed to you. We wished you had contacted us back then so we could try our best to make things right for you.

We want to assure you that our housekeeperswork very hard to clean each room thoroughly – renew fresh linens, wipe down the furniture and fixtures, as well vacuuming the entire room. Air spray is just a final refreshing touch to the clean rooms. We will remind our housekeepersto be more careful and to conduct a carpet to carpet inspection after each cleaning to avoid any oversight human error again.

Thirdly, our pool temperature was computerized set at 76 degrees Fahrenheit. The pool temperature will be automatically adjusted to the pre-set temperature once it detected a temperature drop affected by external environmental weather factor. We could have our maintenance staff to double check the thermostat for you if necessary.

Once again, we apologize on behalf of the front desk girl who you found to be rude, we will definitely give discipline warning to her once we know who.

These are not the norm of our hotel presentation to our guests in our past history records, we have our name for being clean, good manner and efficient services in the industry. As cleanliness and courtesy services are the first priorities of our hotel. Our housekeeping team are very proud of their good reputation.We take each and every guest’s comment very seriously and will bring this matter up at our inter-departmental meeting for further investigation and rectification.

We hope you will forgive and forget all the mishaps and will give another attempt for us to show you our true hospitality services.

Whangaparaoa, New Zealand
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Stayed here for four nights over the weekend. Fist impressions were pretty good, check in was swift, staff were friendly and the hotel reasonably easy to find (once I'd worked out which road to use to get to the service road)! I was given a room on the ground floor and this was a big room, separate seating area, kitchen, etc. very nice!

As it was over the weekend, it appeared there was some form of soccer tournament taking place locally, and the noise in the corridor outside my hotel was non stop with kids running up and down the hallway constantly. Luckily this did cease at about 21:00 but this got to be real annoying after a while. Don't get me wrong I don't mind a bit of noise, but running down corridors, shouting and hollering is excessive and I think the staff shoul have stepped in considering the proximity to both rooms and reception.

The bed was comfortable, however the room heater / AC was very loud when it kicked in - loud enough to wake me up on a number of occasions.

Breakfast was comprehensive but again, the sheer volume of kids in the room made it a pretty fast experience for me...

The other thing I found a little odd is that there is nowhere you can just go and sit and relax in the hotel. There is no bar, and no restaurant and the only seating area is four chairs in reception...weird.

I also had a knock at the door while I was watching tv so I immediately got up to answer, but before I had the chance to even get out of the chair, a member of staff had opened it and come in! They were clearly embarrassed and hurriedly retreated back out. Strange thing is, there was no explanation of what they wanted, why they came in, nothing. Very odd.

Location is great with easy access to lots of shops and restaurants with a couple within walking distance.

Would I go back? Maybe, but would ask for a room on a different floor.

Room Tip: Don't get one on the ground floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear 777pj777,

Thank you so much for your time to write us a review on your recent stay with us.

It is very nice to learn that you got a pretty good first impression of our hotel, our staffs were friendly and efficient; room was spacious and bed was comfortable, breakfast was comprehensive. We are also glad that you have no problem in locating our property and found it easy to access to nearby shops and restaurants.

We apologize for the noise in the corridor as we have a lot of young families staying with us during last weekend. Loud noises are definitely prohibited on/after 10:00pm and we have security check on the hour in the evening. Should you found the kids running around making unbearable noises near your room area, please do not hesitate to call the front desk and they would try their best to calm the kids down or talked to their parents.

In regards to the noise generated by the room heater, we are sorry for any disturbance caused. We suggest you to notify the front desk so they could arrange a maintenance technician to fix the problem immediately; or to switch to another room if applicable.

We were shocked to hear that a member of staff had opened your room door before you answer it. All staffs were being trained to address their department name while knocking on the guest’s room, they should only enter the room for cleaning or other chores in the absence of the guest inside the room. The only excuse I could think of would be the staff member (he or she) was not patient enough and should wait a bit longer prior to open the door. We feel terrible and will like to convey our sincere apology on behalf of the staff in questions whoever ran away without any explanation in an awkward manner. We will investigate this scenario further with all department heads in the hope to find out who the staff was and to re-train him or her ensuring no similar mistake would be made again in future.

To answer your queries on the hotel layoutand the furniture settings: Holiday Inn Express is one of the 9 brands managed under IHG – InterContinental Hotel Group. The designs and layouts of the entire hoteladhere strictly to IHG brand standard and specifications. All Holiday Inn Express branded hotels do not have a restaurant on site. “Holiday Inn Express” brand – A fresh, clean, uncomplicated hotel choice offering comfort, convenience and good value. Holiday Inn Express offers competitive rates for both business and leisure travellers. All hotels under the Holiday Inn Express brand are limited service and feature complimentary breakfast, a clean fresh room and Priority Club Rewards benefits should your bookings/reservations make directly with the hotel.

Thank you again for bringing all the above matters to our attention and help us to make room for better improvement in our services enabling us to further enhance our hospitalityprofessionalism to a higher extent. We have confident that you will be our guest again, please remind us what we can do for you in your next room reservationsso we canensure yourstays acomfortable and relax one.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Fresh modern hotel, very clean comfortable beds, nice indoor pools, fitness room, business centre and free parking. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby. Continental breakfast was awesome. Breakfast lady was very helpful. Receptionist was efficient and check-in/out was seamless.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear AuntieFun,

Many thanks for spending time to write us a perfect 5-star review which we are thrilled to receive.

We are extremely happy to know that you have an enjoyable stay at our hotel. We feel proud of our great staff team who work together with full enthusiasm to provide high professional hospitality service to our admirable guests.

We are also glad that you love the complimentary breakfast. We will share your review with our staff team especially to our housekeeping, breakfast and front office departments. It validates our staffs’ courteousness; efficiencies and hospitality services are matching up with our guests’ expectations and are being acknowledged with compliments.

Our team will sure be keeping up with their good work spirits with your kind encouraging words.

We look forward to welcome you, your family and friends to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edmonton South again very soon.

Saskatoon
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A friend and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites mid-February during a quick trip to Edmonton for shopping. Our room was clean and comfortable. The hallway was very quiet even though it was a holiday weekend and there were lots of families and children about. No noise at all. The breakfast room was bright and clean with lots of choices for breakfast. We were very surprised at all the selection from a full breakfast with eggs, bacon and sausage to cereal, breads, cinnamon rolls, and even pancakes. Lots of milk, juice, and yogurt. A daily newspaper is a nice bonus. Parking is good. We didn't use the pool area or fitness center - too busy shopping and burning up the calories! The hotel is basically across the road from South Edmonton Common and IKEA is just down the street a minute or two. I would not hesitate to stay there again. Staff were all friendly. There is coffee, microwave, and fridge in the rooms. If I had to complain about one thing, it would be there was no fan in the bathroom - but no big deal.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear SaskatoonSunLover,

Thank you for your encouraging review during your mid-February visit with your friend to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edmonton South.

We are glad to hear that you have had a pleasant experience with us and that we are able to meet up with your expectations. It was truly our pleasure to serve you both.

Our staff will be extremely happy to know that they have given a friendly impression to our dear guests. Thank you for your compliments on our clean comfortable room, quiet surroundings, bright breakfast room with plenty of food and beverage choices, and good parking. Our hotel is situated in a convenient location for both business and entertainment. We are nearby lot of shops, supermarkets, international cuisine, cinemas, etc.

Sorry for the confusion about the bathroom exhaust fan. Our hotel is using the Central Exhaust Vent system. There is an unnoticeably quiet exhaust vent in every bathroom. We would be pleased to show you how it is working on your next visit.

We hope that you could try out our fitness centre and the indoor pool as well. We would love to have the pleasure of seeing you and your friends as our regular guests. We are looking forward to your next visit.

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here one night (valentines day) en route to Jasper. It was a nice, clean, modern hotel. Quick check in, slow elevator, clean and comfy standard room.

Breakfast was decent (what I expect from a hotel breakfast)- pancake machine is kind of neat but I still prefer waffles. They also had a managers banquet when we arrived in Thursday evening, we did not partake but it's a nice extra for their guests.

My only complaint was the smell of cigarette smoke wafting in from the back doors while waiting for the elevator.

• Stayed February 2013
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear WinniCalGirl,

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edmonton South as your Valentine’s stay enroute to Jasper. We appreciate it very much for taking time to share with us your reviews.

We are delighted to learn that you found our hotel to be nice, clean and modern with quick check-in and clean comfy room.

A high traffic volume usage between floors could increase the waiting time for the elevator a bit at times. We will look into the cigarette smoke smell coming from the back door as it should be kept close at all times. Our houseman will clean and sanitize the lobby and surrounding areas regularly. We will remind them to deodorize the area again to eliminate any odour. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We are so happy that you enjoy the morning breakfast and find it fun to use the pancake machine. Please join us at the managers ’ banquet next time you are here. We hope to see you back to our hotel again very soon with your loved ones on your en-route back from Jasper or otherwise on your next occasions.

We, at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edmonton South wish you and your family a happy New Year 2013.

Athabasca, AB
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. My most recent stay was on Jan. 31st. the staff was professional and polite, and gave complimentary late check out (2pm) on my request. The rooms are clean and smell clean, too. Beds are comfortable. The fridge & microwave in my room was very clean and no funky fridge smell. I slept in past breakfast so no comment on that. the fitness center is adequate and clean. The pool area was clean although the chlorine was rather strong (I may have been there right after a pool treatment)..... the Wi-Fi internet was a little slow at times. Will probably stay again when I have things to do in the area. In my opinion, this is better than the run-down, so-called "luxury" hotels in the city center, and it's cheaper too.

Just as a general FYI - Parking was free and there was plenty of it in the back (along with a back door directly next to the elevators). Across the highway is a major shopping center with stores and restaurants at various price points. Also a convenient location if you are heading to the international airport or heading south towards Calgary by car the next morning since it is right on the highway.

All in all a good, decent stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank daypack
General_Manager_HIEX, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear daypack,

We appreciate your time to write us an amazing review about your Jan 31st stay at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Edmonton South.

It is a great pleasure reading your reviews telling us how we are able to measure up with your expectations in providing a fulfilling and relaxing stay with us. Your review has certainly light up the hearts of our entire staff team; our eyes are all smiling and our feelings are up and beyond clouds nine…

Thanks for telling us our staff are professional and polite. Our rooms and amenities are clean and smelling good. Our beds are comfortable plus free parking space within the premises. We hope you are able to experience our breakfast on your next visit. We will try our utmost effort to upkeep with our excellent services. Thank you for being so supportive to our team.

We wish you, your family and friends a Happy, Healthy, Lucky and Prosperous New Year 2013.