“Beautiful suite, new hotel, some issues”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Edmonton South
Ranked #36 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
White Rock, Canada
“Beautiful suite, new hotel, some issues”
Reviewed August 31, 2011

This hotel is right on the Calgary Trail, so if you dont like the freeway out your window, dont stay here. When I reserve, I always ask for a quiet room. I was put on the freeway side of the hotel rather than the parking lot. I was too tired to go down and complain so I sucked it up. The noise is masked by really good windows, but of course in the wee hours of the am when the trucks race by, you will hear them.
The room was beautiful - I had a king suite, so the bedroom is partially seperated from the living area. Two massive flatscreen tvs, the furniture almost brand new, the bed super comfy. Bathroom wasnt glamorous, but functional, and I was happy to see they had a bathtub!
Front desk was not what I would call welcoming, but then I guess not everyone is friendly in this world. The person who checked me out was certainly better, but when I asked how I would go about getting a quiet room the next time I was told to "put a memo on the reservation". I said that I did, to which she responded "oh". She said I could call in and ensure it next time. Issue is that the onus is completely on me to ensure a good stay - not on the hotel. (very unlike the nearby Hampton).
I missed their complimentary breakfast because the elevators were down. Being on the top floor with heavy luggage, I had to wait. After checking in with the repair man 3 times, he finally told me it was working and I could use it all along- it was just annoying for him to call it up for me I guess?
All in all, the room was lovely, but with so much nearby competition not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank cpallo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
London
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Came to Edmonton for a wedding, this hotel was recomended by the wedding party for its good location

Room itself was really spacious, with two queen beds as well as a microwave and a fridge - quite handy.

Good buffet breakfast, a bit chaotic in the lsat half hour of the serving time, but you could always get up a bit earlier - however finishing at 9.30 on a Sat morning seemed a bit early for most guests.

Free wi-fi is available, but speeds are pretty average, and the connection does drop in and out at times. Wouldn't recommend for a business hotel for this reason.

There is a small pool and jacuzzi as well as a small weights/cardio room, both of which we used.

Have been impressed and would consider the Holiday Inn Chain again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TheYarralls
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed here as a family of four for one night in July 2011. There was a conference going on in the hotel, but the hotel did not feel over crowded or loud. We were on the third floor facing north. While the view was nothing to look at, I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the room was being right on Calgary Trail. We heard no road noise at all! The room was clean and large, as was the bathroom. They have the usual, and tasty full breakfast included. Everything was fresh, and the staff was very quick to fill things up and clean things away that guests hadn't taken cleaned away.

I was very pleased with this hotel - clean, quiet, comfortable, tasty - all good things for an overnight stay!

Room Tip: comparison shop, and use a AAA card if you have one!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank ansafae
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed August 9, 2011

We stay here every time we are in Edmonton and we love it! There isn't anything about this hotel I could complain about, except maybe the really, really slow elevators.

This hotel also has coin laundry, which is a big plus!

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank lotusberries
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed August 1, 2011

hotel was fine, room was clean, bed was very good, no complaints. Room was quiet even though it was front of bldg, near road - no road noise. Will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank bestengkc
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We recently purchased a pass for WEM and decided to go up for another weekend in June. Our first hotel option was not so great so based on a referral we decided to try out the Holiday Inn Express. We booked the kids room that has a sliding door to seperate the main bedroom from the kids so in the evening when you have little ones they can go to sleep and the parents can watch some TV without having to go to bed by 8:00.

The room was not super fancy but it was clean, had everything we needed, great location and a decent size pool. The free breakfast in the morning was awesome with many hot items to choose from and something for everyone. So far this has been our best hotel in Edmonton and definitely recommend it for families who want a good rest and enjoy the weekend.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Cranstonmom
Northern Alberta
Reviewed June 26, 2011

Over the last year and half we have been staying at this hotel on Medical rate, due to Our son's having to see the paediatric specialist dentist just 1/2 a block away. We have been booking at the medical rate all the visits we have stayed. I would have to say 6-8 of them at least.

I have in the past had to show our confirmation of the appt. But sometimes I have also been told that they didn't need to see it.

Well this time unfortunately will be our last visit; we will be finding a different hotel to stay at.

We had just got settled into our room, and received a phone call from the front desk clerk. She said after reviewing my medical letter that they cannot accept it as it is not for a hospital appt. I explained to her the past times we have stayed here, and she did note that she saw we had the special rate, and that we should have not been booked at this rate, as this type of appt didn't qualify.

I went downstairs and requested to see a copy of their conditions for medical rate. They couldn't provide this to me. I would have to wait until the morning to talk to the manager. So I will wait tell the morning to see.

I told her that this is going to be the last time we will be staying here. It didn't seem like there was any remorse to my concerns. The front desk explained to me that the rules had changed, but when I spoke to the other lady, she said that this has been a rule for a very long time. So what is the deal???? Is it new or not.

To me it is a medical appt, to a specialist, and we live 5 hours away, it’s not like we live here and are just trying to get a deal. It’s for a paediatric dentist specialist to boot.

I guess we will find a new place to stay that will honour our rates for medical apt.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family