“Bands sleep cheap!”
Review of HI Edmonton

HI Edmonton
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I like the HI. If you're a touring band they let you stay for $20 a member. AND they never got upset when partied late after the show. Cool courtyard for pre show beers and it's right behind whyte ave. Walking distance to wherever you're playing. AND co-Ed shower in the basement! Thanks HI.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed in Hi-Edmonton for around 2 weeks in January. It is very close to Whyte Avenue and the University of Alberta. The pricing is economical but the rooms are quite cramped, even for a hostel room.
The common kitchen was well equipped but it is a bit crowded sometimes as there is only one kitchen for the entire hostel. The TV room and laundry facilities are well maintained. There is a games room for indoor games like table tennis(poorly maintained), foosball and pool, which was usually unoccupied.
Wifi reception in the room was quite weak but the speed was good in the common room meant for surfing. They also have a library for reading or working in peace though the number and selection of books in it was ordinary.
It is well connected by buses and the sky shuttle service has a stop right in front of HI-Ed. for both dropping off and pickup. They also have a payphone, a common refrigerator, luggage room, free coffee in the morning and DVD-rental facility.Overall the experience was good and I wouldn't mind staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've now stayed here for 3 nights each on 2 separate occasions both with friends and on my own. The wifi signal is shocking - doesn't even work reliably in the common room where they recommend. The laundry on site is convenient. The location is fantastic only one block from Whyte Ave. On street parking is available but not super easy - lots of other local residents parking on the street too even at night.
They stuffed up our first booking and over charged us by 50% on our online booking. The staff were helpful in trying to figure out what had gone wrong but were unable to fully resolve it but they did try to make it up to us with discount passes so kudos for them at least trying!

Rooms were tiny and didn't have any aircon or fans - got really stuffy and the other guests in the courtyard made it extremely noisy with the window open and the front desk staff were unable to enforce the quiet rules :(
One of the poorer hostels I've stayed at but by no means truly terrible - still safe and clean enough for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Mad_ELK
HIAlberta, Manager at HI Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Thanks for your comments. I'm sorry we didn't meet your full expectations. The hostel is an old convent, and we are continually trying to improve the facilities. Our WiFi replacement project is nearing completion, and should be done by the end of August, which will allow for WiFi in all guest rooms as well as our common areas. We do have a parking lot at the rear of the hostel, as well as extra free spots on two adjoining streets. My apologies for the courtyard noise. I have spoken to our staff and reminded them to be extra diligent in enforcing our Quiet Time of 11 p.m. - 7 a.m. Greg, Manager

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I very rarely write reviews but the guys at HI Edmonton do deserve a big thanks!
They were very helpful with allowing me to store my bags during the day of checkout. Also, I must thank the manager, Rory (I think that's his name) for helping with my airport shuttle and making all the calls when the shuttle service stuffed up my booking.

Otherwise I would highly recommend the place for all the facilities - the decked out Kitchen is great, and the TV room and common rooms are spacious.

So thank you again, I would happily stay there again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I didn't see the oilfield workers others complained about, not sure I would care. However, I paid $73.00 for one night in my own room. Room was usual hostel quality, not recently updated, no A/C. No parking, I had to park 2 blocks away, and no wireless that worked. They do promise to fix that soon. It is in a good location near many shops, clubs, and restaurants. I did my surfing at Starbucks nearby.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
HIAlberta, Manager at HI Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thanks for your comments. Yes, we are in the final stages of completing our WiFi system replacement, which is set to be completed by late August. We do have free parking in our lot at the rear of the hostel, as well as on two adjacent streets. Greg, Manager

Reviewed July 31, 2012

The overwhelming feeling is cold of this hostel. It is not filled with the typical international travelers sharing stories. I actually felt like it was more of a rehab place (based on feeling).

The room was bland with one bunkbed (the lower bed is maybe a full size). There is a desk inside the room and lockers for your stuff. You get towels which is nice. The showers are a bit dirty and it was difficult to get the staff to fill toilet paper in the bathrooms.

The wifi is my biggest complaint. It barely works. No skype. Emails take forever to load. The loan it works is tiny (just around the desk) and like I said it is very faint. They need to change this.

The location is near Whyte ST for eating and drinking. However it is not near the city center.

Not recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank 07Boston
HIAlberta, Manager at HI Edmonton, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Thanks for your comments. I’m sorry to hear we didn’t meet your expectations. I have spoken to our staff to make sure we are checking and tidying washrooms more regularly. Our WiFi has been problematic lately, but we have just finalized plans for our new WiFi system, which should be in place within the next few weeks, and available in all guest rooms as well as our common areas. We are located in the historic and trendy Old Strathcona neighbourhood, with the city centre just a 10 minute bus ride away. Greg, Manager

Reviewed June 16, 2012

Good location with friendly staff. good facilities and all round good place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012