“Expected more”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Strathcona
“Expected more”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I read a lot of the previous reviews of Murrieta's. Unfortunately, these are very accurate. Service was average. Menu selection was average. Food was average. There was nothing that made me say that this place was great. We went as a big group and they did put us separate from the main restaurant. I did like the separation as we did not experience the noise complaints that I have read about. For what we spent, there are many other restaurants in Edmonton that offer better quality and experience. I dont think I will go back.

• Visited July 2013

Edmonton, Canada
“Good Brunch Place but Too Loud”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Ate brunch here the other day and have eaten here in the past. Food is generally quite good, but not anything particularly special. Had the BLT which is made with ham hocks instead of bacon and a nice change. Could stand more tomato and lettuce though as you couldn't really taste anything over the lemon aioli.

My wife had the french toast and she reported it was good though a bit overpowered by chocolate, but to me it looked like bread covered with Nutella and little else. Certainly not a very attractive looking plate.

Service was a bit challenged. Waiter came quickly and took our drink orders. When drinks arrived we advised we would need a few more minutes to decide. He gave us 20 minutes and could not be found. Once brunch was served he never came by to do a table check. Took awhile to clear our plates, but the bill came promptly. It took another 20 minutes to actually pay as he disappeared again. We were in no rush so not a big deal, but certainlky could have been better.

My biggest issue with this restaurant is not food or service related. It's the acoustics of the room! It's a nice room, but very difficult to have a conversation and not hear every other conversation at every other table. Sound seems to bounce off the ceiling and every wall. I'm sure they could do something to improve this situation.

Overall the food, service and ambience is just average - really too bad as it's a lovely spot and could be so much more than it is.

• Visited July 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Rubbish”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was in Edmonton with a colleague and we opted to eat at Murrieta's for dinner. We made our reservations in person earlier that afternoon. The woman who took the reservation wrote them down as she said they had a new system that was turning out to be quite slow. She told us she would enter the reservation into the system later. We arrived for dinner at 7pm and had no reservation. The staff were very good and found us a table, which was by the window (very nice), and right next to a party of four who were competing to see who had the loudest laugh (not very nice). The acoustics in the dining area were awful which, combined with the loud laughter made conversation quite difficult. We ordered oysters as an appetizer. They arrived quickly, but as soon as the plate was put on the table I could smell that the oysters were bad. My colleague ate one which was fine, and so I thought I was over-reacting. I went to eat another one, and it was clearly bad. The server and manager both apologized and removed the charge from the bill. For mains we had a scallop, shrimp and chorizo pasta, and a fillet steak. The pasta was more chorizo than anything else, and the scallops were very tiny. The portion was adequate but not generous and the flavor was mostly one-note: chorizo. The steak had a nice flavor to it, but the portion was very small. My colleague had asked for the steak cooked medium-rare and it was served medium. All in all, I got the impression that not very good or experienced people in the kitchen.

We paid our bill and at that time I noticed the wine we ordered was more expensive on the bill than on the menu. I drew this to the server's attention, she apologized and refunded the amount on my credit card and then drew up a new bill with the correct price for the wine. Again the manager came over and apologized. As a parting shot, the server said "good for you for noticing that...most people wouldn't worry about $8". As someone who does worry about $8, and who also worries about the principle of treating customers with care, I didn't appreciate the veiled criticism, nor will I return to this extremely mediocre, wholly unimpressive attempt at a restaurant.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank anderses
Calgary, Canada
“loud, bad food, bad service”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We recently ate at this restaurant. The acoustics of the building made every laugh at every table echo throughout and therefore I could not hear my companion beside me. We started the meal with oysters that were off and had to be sent back. To his credit, the manager did come to apologize and removed them from the bill. The entrees were mediocre at best and when the bill came, they charged us an extra $10 on the bottle of wine than what it was listed on the menu. Overall, very disappointing. I would not return again.

• Visited June 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Not Concerned with Customer Satisfaction”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Before making a brunch reservation, I called to ask if there were gluten free options including gluten free bread, and also to see if they could meet our tight time requirements. I was assured that all my requests could be easily fulfilled. We arrived and stood around for almost 5 minutes before being greeted by a gruff hostess. We reminded our server of the time constraints right up front. In fact, there was no gluten free bread (I would happily have brought some for our guest, if I had been given correct info on the phone). The meals arrived with 2 being incorrect and then the waitress arguing that they were correct. The replacements did arrive just in time for us to gobble them down before we left. The food was good, but not worth the wait and the irritation. A quick trip to the bathroom, on the way out, revealed that no care is taken there either. It was filthy. An email to the restaurant through their website went unanswered. Clearly, they are not concerned with customer satisfaction. We will not be back.

• Visited June 2013