“Delicious Food at a hole in the wall restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Syphay Restaurant

Syphay Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 2,393 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Delicious Food at a hole in the wall restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

From the outside, Syphay is very unassuming (I've driven past it several times without realizing it was there), but the food was fantastic. We eat a fair amount of Thai food and this is the best we've had in quite a while. Service was good, and fast, and the food was yummy.

• Visited September 2013

Calgary, Canada
“Tasty Food Despite the Looks of the Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Yes, the outside looks nasty, the service was slow, and the place could use a general facelift, but the food was extremely well prepared. Just had the lunch special which consisted of 5 tasty and greaseless spring rolls along with a green tofu curry and some of the best coconut rice we have tasted. Throughout the meal, people from all walks of life came in to pick up orders they had phoned in, another indication the restaurant serves good food. If they just did a little investment on a facelift, the place would really take off. They have another restaurant downtown which the waitress said look much better so try thatne at 9445 Jasper.

• Visited August 2013
Edmonton, Canada
“Pad Thai is the way to go”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Tried this for the first time a little while ago (the location on Gateway), and I'm certainly glad I did. We tried the pad thai, and it was fantastic. I ordered mine a bit spicy, and it came out just right. Others in our party that have been to Thailand suggested it was the most authentic pad thai they have had outside of Thailand. The coconut rice is also a great side! The restaurant is a little cramped, but still ok. Parking, however, is quite difficult and you should be ready for that.

• Visited July 2013
Alberta
“Nothing positive about my experience!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was hesitant to try this "restaurant" but my mother had read some good reviews and convinced me to go. Upon arriving we both questioned whether we would proceed with our plans. Frankly, the outside of the building looks like somewhere one might acquire food poisoning. I had driven past this place so many times and always failed to notice it. If I had, I would have assumed it was a condemned abandoned building! We were skeptical about eating here after seeing the condition the "restaurant" was in, and only ended up ordering a few dishes that the waitress recommended. We barely touched what we ordered, the flavours were very ... unique, but not in a good way. The dishes with seafood in them were inedible because they had a very prominent fishy taste which was very unappealing. I think the fish was off, and they should not have been serving it. Needless to say we will not be returning.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank CanadianCritique
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Excellent thai food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

From the outside, the restaurant looks like an abandoned building. I thought I was at the wrong place. But then once entering the place, I was surprised to find a place with oriental decorations.

When looking through the menu, most of the main dishes were above the 17 dollars price range. Our food was given to us in nice colourful plates and the food was excellent. And one thing that is great about Thai restaurants is that they always give a lot of food. So the abundance of food made up for the somewhat pricey selections.

The atmosphere is average at best, but i could care less cause the food is awesome. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited April 2013