“Pad Thai is the way to go”
Review of Syphay Restaurant

Syphay Restaurant
Ranked #54 of 2,416 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edmonton, Canada
“Pad Thai is the way to go”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Tried this for the first time a little while ago (the location on Gateway), and I'm certainly glad I did. We tried the pad thai, and it was fantastic. I ordered mine a bit spicy, and it came out just right. Others in our party that have been to Thailand suggested it was the most authentic pad thai they have had outside of Thailand. The coconut rice is also a great side! The restaurant is a little cramped, but still ok. Parking, however, is quite difficult and you should be ready for that.

• Visited July 2013

Alberta
“Nothing positive about my experience!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was hesitant to try this "restaurant" but my mother had read some good reviews and convinced me to go. Upon arriving we both questioned whether we would proceed with our plans. Frankly, the outside of the building looks like somewhere one might acquire food poisoning. I had driven past this place so many times and always failed to notice it. If I had, I would have assumed it was a condemned abandoned building! We were skeptical about eating here after seeing the condition the "restaurant" was in, and only ended up ordering a few dishes that the waitress recommended. We barely touched what we ordered, the flavours were very ... unique, but not in a good way. The dishes with seafood in them were inedible because they had a very prominent fishy taste which was very unappealing. I think the fish was off, and they should not have been serving it. Needless to say we will not be returning.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank CanadianCritique
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Excellent thai food”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

From the outside, the restaurant looks like an abandoned building. I thought I was at the wrong place. But then once entering the place, I was surprised to find a place with oriental decorations.

When looking through the menu, most of the main dishes were above the 17 dollars price range. Our food was given to us in nice colourful plates and the food was excellent. And one thing that is great about Thai restaurants is that they always give a lot of food. So the abundance of food made up for the somewhat pricey selections.

The atmosphere is average at best, but i could care less cause the food is awesome. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Royday94
edmonton
“Pricey but great food!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Husband and I were craving Thai food. Thought we'd check this place out. The food and service were excellent. It was a little pricey for two of us but a nice evening out. Portion sizes are very large so I had enough for my lunch the next day! It's a little scketchy looking from outside but very quaint inside. Worth trying!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank travelindreamer
Brampton, Canada
“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

First time I didn't finish a Tom Yum soup. It was too sour, so my tongue had to take a break after a few spoons. The pad thai is far from great. I think Edmontonians need to experience Thai food from BC and Toronto in order to review. Truly bland and dry, and I absolutely hate it when I pay for a huge plate of noodles, and get very little of the good stuff, like Chicken. Parking is horrendous here. Maybe six parking in the back for customers. You have to back out carefully into a the back alley, when leaving. The lot next door advises that you will be towed. A Malaysian competitor restaurant is in the lot next door. Now, for cleanliness. It doesn't exist here. The carpets are matted, torn, raised. It is if they do not have any money to up keep the place. The prices are HIGH, for the way they keep this place. From the outside, there is an abondoned and broken down feeling. I was shocked when I pulled on the door and it opened, and there were people inside! I'll be in Edmonton for all of the month, and wouldn't consider recommending or returned. It does seem popular, but because there is so few to choose from, so sad. Couples and groups do come here. They should be making enough money to take care of the place. Poor ability to decorate as well. And every decoration has dust. The waitress was not exactly very attentive either.

• Visited March 2013