“Great Thai and Lao Cuisine”
Review of Syphay Restaurant

Syphay Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 2,426 Restaurants in Edmonton
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Lethbridge, Canada
“Great Thai and Lao Cuisine”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

There a number of good Thai restaurants in Edmonton, but this one stands out for the quality of its food. I have eaten here four times in the last two years, and have never been disappointed. I am not a specialist in Thai cuisine, but I know what tastes good. The food here is simple and spectacular. The service is excellent. I have always been asked if I have special dietary needs. The restaurant is very small and unpretentious. Reservations are a must. The hours as of this writing are: Mon-Fri 11:30 to 2:00, 5:00-9:00, Saturday 5:00- 9:00. Sunday closed.

• Visited April 2012

“NEVER GO HERE”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I ordered from Syphay for a large party I was hosting. We agreed on a price and time and that they would deliver. In addition to the food from Syphay I had catered out pizza for those at the party that didn`t like Thai Food.
When the food came, the delivers admitted that they didn`t bring enough rice but we were told if we wanted the rest we would have to drive to get it. This being a very important event (our engagment dinner) we didn`t know who to send to go 40 minutes away to get the rice. It turned out they didn`t bring enough of anything - we had only 50 people in attendance, ordered for 60 and ran out of EVERYTHING - I didn`t even get to eat. We called syphay about this and they denied doing anything wrong and then refused to call us back. Worst experience ever - there are so many better thai places in edmonton that are likely more ethical than this - go somewhere else!

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank JENN M
edmonton
“Great thai food”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Have been to syphay twice now and cannot wait to go back. Outside of restaurant is rundown but inside is cozy and clean. Minced pork dish is spicy and full of flavor, will be ordering every time we go. Pad thai seemed to lack flavor but it didnt matter as we loved all other dishes we tried. Perhaps the intense flavor of the other dishes made the more subtle pad thai seem to lack flavor. Seafood dish with green curry is amazing. We also really enjoyed black bean chicken and hot basil seafood dish.

• Visited February 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“A flavourful, yummy escapade”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Syphay is an unassuming and cozy restaurant tucked into the scenery along Edmonton's Gateway Blvd. southbound. To start, we tried their Tohm Yum Seafood soup which had the right amount of heat, flavour and seafood. For our main, we enjoyed their popular Phanang Curry (with chicken) and their Pad Ped Goong (Shrimp. Eggplant, Mushroom, Coconut Milk). The Phanang curry was worthy of it's reputation and the Pad Ped Goong packed a lot of heat, but in a good way. For dessert. they only had 1 option.. fresh mango served atop of sticky sweet rice and drizzled with mango puree.

All in all, a wonderful meal. The staff were very friendly and attentive.

• Visited January 2012
Edmonton, Canada
“Most authentic Thai we've found in Edmonton”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Our go to Thai place in Edmonton. We've been to Bangkok and this is as close as we've come to food that tastes like it did i Thailand. The owners are mostly from Laos though so there is an added flavour depth from there too. Their Kom Kah Gai soup is to die for! I've taken groups of people there and we've never been disappointed. I've made new visitors into fans right away. Papaya salad is great, spicy. Curry is yummy, they'll do it as spicy as you like.

Some of the other reviews have mentioned bad service and of all the times we've been there I've never had that experience. It's a very small place (10-12 tables maybe) divided into two rooms. They are busy, but I've never had rude service, ever. My personal belief is that you get what you put out. We're always nice to them, and we get the same back.

• Visited October 2011