“Horrible Stay!!!”

Ranked #61 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Horrible Stay!!!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We had no reservation so the only room left was the handicapped room they told us for $150.00 a night plus taxes. Okay, so we took it. Did not realize it was in the de-tached part of the hotel, next to the main road that would have traffic rushing by all night to keep us up. Hallways were quite filthy, very old and run down. Room was clean to our surprise. Definately not a $150.00 a night room allthough!! Finally at midnight get to sleep, only to be woke up at 6:00 am to drunken patrons also staying on our floor. The screaming and yelling went on for 45 minutes, so I called the front desk and was told security went home at 5:00 am so he wanted me to tell him what he should do. I said how about calling the manager??? or perhaps the police??? Finally at 07:30 am we showered, in luke warm water I might add as that is all that the shower would put out???, as we are walking out of the hotel at 08:00am the police walk by us. To little to late now, 6 hrs of sleep for $150.00??? At checkout we complained and got a $30.00 credit taken off the room charge. NEVER AGAIN WILL WE STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Good Morning,

I was so disappointed to read your review. It certainly sounds like you had a terrible night. Our housekeeping team is fantastic and won a 2013 AHLA Housekeeping Award, so I was glad to hear the room was clean.

The way the staff dealt with the your concerns about the noise was completely unacceptable. Exactly as you described, either myself or the police should have been called to deal with the situation.

I was pleased to read that the front desk took the initiative to discount the room for you. We encourage our team to take care of our guests at all times. I will go back to the desk staff and discuss that these issues need to be passed on to ensure that our guests are happy with the resolution.

If you would like to contact me, I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the matter further and apologize in person. chris_s@novahotels.ca or 780.732.5717

All the best,

Chris Short, GM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was told by a local that this hotel was pretty new, but other than the lobby, the decor looked worn. There was a nice TV in the room, but the remote didn't work. The first night I called down to ask them to replace the battery/remote. They told me they'd be right up, but then never came. I had to call down at bedtime to not bother coming up because it was too late. That was disappointing. However, the room was basic, it was fairly clean and I suppose that if I really needed accommodation and another preferred hotel wasn't available, I'd stay there again. Breakfast wasn't included, so if that's a factor for you, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Good Afternoon, I was very to read intrigued to read your review. The lack of response from the front desk staff about getting you a new remote control is unacceptable and I will follow up with the staff. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy our decor, I've never heard it described as basic but I encourage other travellers to look at our photographs and make their own determination. Thank you for pointing out the televisions. We have just recently replaced all of our televisions with flat screens and they are getting rave reviews. We do have a full service family style restaurant on site and our Chateau Breakfast at $6.95 is a great deal! We do appreciate all guest feedback and we will use your comments to improve the stays of our future guests. Chris Short, GM.
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a great hotel, awesome location and facilities. The front desk staff are courteous and helpful, Jovanna made some great dining recommendations and made us feel welcome! Will most definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2013
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed the busy weekend of Febuary 16th. Atmosphere was very relaxed. Much fancied the lovely decor of this hotel on all levels. Gives the hotel a very grande sophisticated architectural feel, and at a decent price. Quite happy with that, as I appreciate modern design and enjoy that much more than stuffy old fashioned dressings. Room was very nice, clean, typical. Staff were friendly. Only complaint is the lack of 'business' type options. I needed a printer to print tickets for an event and the business room is not set up for a printer. The front desk advised me that I can easily print and pick up at the front desk, yet there was no option for that on the system. And going back and forth between front desk and 4th floor when in a hurry is not very appeasing! Only point in rating lost for that unnecessary conflict.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of the Chateau Nova Kingsway. It's always great to hear from our guests. All the best. Chris Short. GM.
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked this hotel because it was the highest reviewed in proximity to the hotel our convention was at.

I was immediately turned off by seemingly indifferent reception staff as I struggled in the door with my wife's (four bags) and my (one bag) luggage ;). The walkway outside was extremely slippery, my wife was parking. I was told we were in "The Annex" a new addition in a separate building about two hundred meters away at the end of the parking lot.... great. I struggled back out the door with the luggage.

The key card to the annex didn't work on the first of the two cards I was provided with. When we entered using the second key, the lobby of the annex stank like old nicotine. Over the next three days as I entered and exited the building, hotel employees could be found smoking within two feet of the entrance. Bleck.

Our room was average with a small television. The king bed was very comfortable, though I woke with severe back pains after the first night. The pains went away as we got used to the bed over the next two nights.

The room was not well stocked. There was a half used roll of toilet paper on the spool when we arrived and no more to be found in the room. Hospitality took over an hour to deliver more "supplies".

My biggest beef was with the NOISE. Door slams were so loud they constantly woke us up. Hallway chatter felt like it was in our room, footsteps and bangs of people in the room above me reminded me of my days in student housing at university. I can't speak to quality of stay in the main building, but don't stay in the annex if you value your sleep. House-cleaning staff were also very loud in the hallways above our room on several occasions, and vacuuming throughout the day above and in nearby rooms above was obnoxious.

We ate one meal in the restaurant, choosing the cozy looking pub side. The service was brutally slow, but the food was quite good. We did not feel well attended (we sat with two other couples) and often wondered if staff had forgotten about us, though there were only perhaps ten customers total in the restaurant. Prices were reasonable.

The stay was noisy but average in other regards. You're probably better off looking elsewhere unless the proximity to your business makes it worthwhile. But maybe the main building is a better experience...

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the annex.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Good Afternoon. I was very disappointed to read your review and the problems you had with your stay. I did receive an email from your wife this morning and unfortunately had not been able to respond back to her before you posted your review.
We do take great pride in our property and I apologize for the troubles you experienced. Our "annex' building actually runs higher occupancy than our main building and we have many regular guests who request those rooms specifically. I will look into the concerns you raised and use your feedback to improve our future guests experience.
I only wish that you had contacted either myself or a member of my staff during your stay and we could have fixed these issues for you. While we were sold out the first two nights of your stay, we could easily have accommodated your request to move to the main building if we'd known that you wanted to.
All the best,
Chris Short, GM.
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I had chosen this hotel as it was close to where I was taking some courses for work. I was not a great stay here. There was greenish type grunge in the tub where the overfill drain is. Unfortunately I didn't notice it until I was I was in the tub. The bathroom ceiling also had something on it but I'm not sure what it was. The rest of the room was in rough shape, lots of gouges and scraped on the walls and the decor was a very depressing drab yellow the needs a major upgrade. The heat didn't work very well. When it would run, it was very loud and constantly woke me up during the night every time it kicked in. The pillows were very small for a hotel. The wireless internet was almost non existent, very slow.

The restaurant in the hotel wasn't too bad. There were not much to choose from on the menu but the food was ok. Service was very slow as they only had one waitress on for the supper shift and she was working the restaurant, lounge, and taking up room service orders. The waitress was nice though, they just should have more than one working.

Needless to stay I will not be back to this hotel. There are much nicer ones at the same prices. I will drive the extra few blocks to my courses the next time for a better hotel stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank OADiver
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Good Afternoon, thank you for your recent review of the Chateau Nova Kingsway. I was very disappointed to read about the troubles during your stay. If you could contact me directly I would really appreciate getting some more information from you and ensure that the issues are dealt with immediately. We value our guests feedback in improving our service and product and again thank you for your comments. All the best, Chris Short. GM.
Dawson Creek, Canada
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We were recommended this hotel being close to a medical clinic we were going to in Edmonton. The location was great; it was easy to get around the city either through the city or taking the highway. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable; good sized fridge in the room and a coffee maker; pillows were a little big. The shower had a curved shower rod which is very nice so the curtain doesn't get close. All of the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. The restaurant was also better than eating out. No swimming pool but there was a well equipped gym. Price was affordable and there was a medical discount. It was a great stay.

Room Tip: Booking a kitchenette is a really good idea for the choice and convenience. The back side of the bui...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family