“Scabies!!”

Ranked #59 of 93 Hotels in Edmonton
Inuvik
“Scabies!!”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My family had stayed early March and came home with SCABIES!! So traumatic what we had to go through. We even complained when we were there that the sheets were not changed and their reply was the power was out that day. Did not realize you needed power to empty out the garbage, change the sheets and replace dirty towels with clean towels. The couch was stinky (I somehow doubt now the couches have EVER been steamcleaned). When I called the front desk to complain (family doctor advised to complain to the hotel), I was asked when I stayed there and then after listening to my complaint, I was told that there was no way I could prove that our family got scabies from their hotel!!! Well, we sure were NOT scratching before we got there and within days of going home we were all scratching! Horrific experience to say the least. The place has gone downhill since it first opened. I bet they don't clean the top cover of the bed or steam clean any carpets. So disgusted.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank 1997NWT
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback of the Chateau Nova Hotel & Suites Edmonton. I was disappointed to read of the troubles you experienced with housekeeping on the day of our power outage. This was a planned power outage and we informed all guests making reservations and again at check in about the power being out. However, the general housekeeping in the room should have been done on the day.

In terms of the scabies complaint, I have done some research on this issue where I worked previously and checked with my own family doctor as I was dealing with the same complaint. Scabies symptoms generally show up 4-6 weeks after infection, not within a few days. So while I sympathize with your situation, it is very unlikely you contracted it during your stay with us.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Chris Short. GM.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Vancouver
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have recently stayed at Chateau Nova Hotel and Suites. Upon arrival I had found out I would be in the newer addition across the parking lot since I had booked a smoking room. It wasn't a big deal to me. When I had gotten to my room I had found it very spacious and was even pleased to see a kitchenette in my room. The only thing I did not like was some of the front desk staff. First when I had arrived I had asked if it was okay if my girlfriend could stay in my room with my since she is from Edmonton, the front desk clerk was rolled her eyes at me and said I guess it would be fine. I brushed it off because I had failed to informed them early to my arrival that I would be having another person in my room. But when I had to go back to the front desk because I had left one of my bags there I had over heard the front desk staff making sexual comments. Whether it was directed to me or not I feel this time of language is not appropriated for the work environment. Overall this is a nice place to stay but as a reminder to the staff at Chateau Nova Hotel and Suites it is important to watch what you say even to your co-workers because you will never know who is listening.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel, I was appalled to hear of the inappropriate language and comments you overheard at the front desk. This is completely unacceptable and I assure you I will be following up with the front desk staff. If you would like to contact me directly I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to follow up further with you. You can reach me directly at chris_s@novahotels.ca. Please accept my apologies. All the best, Chris.
Rocky Mountain House, Canada
Reviewed March 20, 2012

But far from the best. The hotel rooms show obvious wear and lack of maintenance. Burnt out lights, lack of sound proofing, strange gritty debris by bathroom sink, burn marks in bathroom and bedroom furniture. The free wifi does not work. You can connect and browse one website and then it quits. But the room is spacious and the bed is clean.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank AbBirdie
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I was very disappointed to see that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. If you would like to contact me directly at the hotel, I would appreciate the opportunity to follow up with you. We appreciate all of our guests feedback and use those comments to improve our property. You can reach me directly at chris_s@novahotels.ca. Have a great day, Chris.
Fort McMurray
Reviewed March 4, 2012

I have stayed here on a number of occasions. The rooms are very clean, the staff are so friendly and pleasant, the beds are the best I have ever had in any hotel chain, and I have stayed at the "best"! I would recommend this hotel to the most fussy person. I just love coming to this hotel to stay, every time we come to Edmonton we stay here in either the annex or the main building. Great Job!

Room Tip: Rooms in the annex are bigger, if you get one and do not want noise stay on the side facing parking...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your great review of the Chateau Nova Hotel & Suites Edmonton. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future! Have a terrific day. Chris.
Edmonton
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay at many hotels, and I usually have one little issue that bothers me. I recently stayed at the Chateau Nova Hotel. I was greeted by friendly staff. I was early for my 3 pm check in. Rather than tell me to come back, the front office staff put a rush on my room and advised that it would be ready within 15 minutes. The rooms were very clean and modern. The hotel was very quiet and accommodating. The food was great. The staff were friendly. Try as I might, I couldn't find anything to complain about!!! I will definitely stay at the Chateau Noval Hotel again and recommend it to my colleagues and friends.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LAD S
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Thank you so much for your recent review of the Chateau Nova Hotel & Suites Edmonton. I love to read all of our guest comments, good or bad (although good makes me a happier). I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will stay with us again soon. Chris Short. GM.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2012

I travel to Edmonton almost once a month and stayed there for about one year now. I find the hotel to be perfect for all my needs while there. The rooms are extremely clean, staff is very polite and welcoming. I would reccommend it and will be back for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Anduta170773
Thank you so much for your review of the Chateau Nova Hotel & Suites Edmonton. It is always great to receive that feedback from our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Chateau Nova in the near future. Have a great day, Chris Short. GM.
Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2012

Firstly, the staff are great - no issue there. We were there in January and inside the hotel was 90 degrees! Even with the windows open the rooms would not cool down. Unfortunately, we were in the hotel for almost 3 days straight and we all could not wait to leave. It is obvious that the hotel is trying to save money as everything from the toilet paper to the candies in the restaurant are very inexpensive. The only small "treat" was the 2 cookies they leave in the room. To be fair, the rooms, while dated were clean as were the lobby, lounge, and restaurant.
We only stayed in "regular" one bed rooms, I have did not see the suites but judging from the other comments, they might be nicer.
If you are on business, beware that if you order the "coffee service" it is just that, - tea nor anything elegant is included. Just a few cups, a couple carafes of regular coffee and some creamers. If you are expecting a selection of sweeteners, teas, and whitener options or even a napkin or saucer, this is not the service!

Room Tip: The second floor is over the lounge and banquet rooms - if you would like a quiet room, you may want...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 2ourest
NovaEdmGM, General Manager at Chateau Nova Kingsway, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Good Morning. I was so disappointed to see that you had troubles with your heating / cooling while you were here. I wish you had voiced your concerns during your stay and we could have adjusted the thermostat in your room (very often the desired temperature is set, but the unit has not been turned on) or even moved your room if necessary. I appreciate your comments regarding the coffee service and will pass them on to our banquet department. They are great suggestions to upgrade the service and we are always looking to improve. Thank you for staying with the Chateau Nova Hotel & Suites Edmonton and providing your valuable feedback. Chris Short, GM.