“A Cowtown staple bar during Stampede; mechanical bull on the patio”

Ranchman's Cookhouse and Dancehall
Ranked #664 of 3,625 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Barbecue, Steakhouse, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 90 Ave SE
Transit: There is a bus stop in either direction within 1 block or less; however, you may only cross at the lights. The LRT Stations are within a 15 minute walk in either direction.
Description: Calgary's iconic country restaurant, nightclub, and Stampede hot spot presents some of the biggest names in Country Music and is the Official Hospitality location of the Canadian Professional Rodeo Association! Ranchman's specializes in authentic western barbecue including succulent steaks, fall-off-the-bone ribs, and the famous Stampede beef on a bun. Following dinner, stick around for a night of live music, cold drinks, dancing, and great times as Ranchman's plays host to the hottest country nightclub experience in Calgary! Ranchman's is a 14 time winner of the CCMA County Club of the Year award. The likes of Keith Urban, Kenny Chesney, Toby Keith, Shania Twain, Paul Brandt, The Band Perry, Doc Walker, Jason Aldean, Dean Bordy, Emerson Drive, Kenny Rogers and many more have rocked the Ranchman's Stage! Strap on those hats, dust off those boots, and saddle up for a truly unique country western experience.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Cowboy décor and a mechanical bull ($10 to ride) to add to the ambience and 'after a few' antics.
The patio feels like a tinderbox with all of the surrounding barn wood.
Yes the patio area is free: they get that area crowded first so it looks like a party from the street, but they have tents out back with a $20 cover charge. Check first, as at about 2 pm during Stampede that area was quite empty still, but by 4 pm was filling up and a band inside.
Very casual Patio eats included veggie burger, beef burgers, chicken fingers and fries (served in individual plastic cups...not bad overall) ...but no light fare like a salad or such, unless you have tickets to the catered area for private bookings. More extensive menu for inside can be viewed online.
Our service was friendly, and the crowd varied anywhere from late 20's to late 50's when we went.

There are newer reviews for Ranchman's Cookhouse and Dancehall

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Met cousins here for drinks during the stampede since we were staying across the street at The Carriage House Inn. When we arrived we quickly joined the line-up to the bar. Upon entrance they advised there was a $20.00 cover charge per person so we anteed up, unaware that the outdoor patio was not accessible through the bar. Walked into the overcrowded bar, purchased a beer & looked for a place to sit. We enquired about the outdoor patio & were advised that we couldn't bring our beer there. So we quickly drank our beer & found a seat on the patio where no cover charge was required. No refund for us. We went to the patio bar & ordered beers as the waitresses were extremely busy. Menu was fast food, but the chicken fingers were actually pretty good. Watching people ride the mechanical bull was entertaining. I blame myself for not asking the staff more questions before entering the premises however they were just pushing us through like cattle. For our next visit to the stampede we'll definitely choose another venue.

4  Thank waltra
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This was my only experience dining,I usayally go for a drink and enjoy the Country Music and friendly people around there

2  Thank traveler20092014
Reviewed April 28, 2014

If you're looking for a real country bar, this is not it! Sure, it's decorated to the 9's with saddles, signs and everything to make you feel like you're in a country bar.

The country music stops at 11pm and they turn on top 40 so that every 17 year old in the place will flock to the dancefloor. Real shame as it used to be great.

Food is good if you get there early enough, but rude bouncers, a "dress code" and Lady Gaga music playing for the bulk of the night does not make this place a country bar.

9  Thank BigReddington
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have been to Ranchman's on two different occasions will definitely not be returning. Staff are so incredibly rude, I've never experienced worse treatment at a bar. Here's one example - I approached the bar and asked for a glass of water. The bar tender asked me for ID, and after giving it to him I casually mentioned to my friend that I had been ID'd a lot since I got in there (not surprising because I look young, but 4 times after entering the bar seemed a bit excessive in my opinion). The bartender spun around and started yelling in my face that that if I had a problem then I could just leave! I assured him that there was no problem and that I just wanted a drink. He gave me a smirk and said if I wanted water, he would need to see a second piece of ID. After I provided this he grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and said I would need to sign the paper 3 times, and started holding the paper and my ID up to a light to study them. When it was all said and done it took over 15 minutes standing at the bar putting up with some rude cowboy to get a GLASS OF WATER. I'm also 99.9% sure that the coat check girls stole my jacket the second time I was there. Never going back to this place again!!

11  Thank PrimroseAndQuill