“Great for fine dining but skip the brunch!”

Bears Den Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Bears Den Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #416 of 3,624 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bahamian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Crowchild & Bearspaw Rd.
Description: Warm cherry wood walls, crackling fire, crystal, crisp linens, great steaks, fresh fish and wild game...Bears Den is a one of a kind restaurant in North West Calgary.
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My first experience at The Bears Den was for a Sunday brunch with friends. Besides the high price, I was not overly impressed at the presentations or choices on offer. I tucked into the leg of lamb and had a pile of salad which was truly delicious!
My hubby and I had a romantic dinner at the fine-dining side of the restaurant a few weeks later. Yes it was expensive but the food was out of this world and the service extremely good! We had a lovely basket of freshly baked breads with herbed olive oil and flavoured balsamic vinegar, this was followed by an amuse bouche which was more a little work of art than a morsel of heaven! We shared scallops for an appetizer and I then had the duck (which was perfectly prepared and seasoned) while hubby fell in love with his rack of lamb. We shared some chocolate masterpiece for dessert and had coffee and complimentary home made chocolates to complete our evening. Lovely background music and a roaring fire set the tone for a fantastic evening which we will most definitely repeat in future!

There are newer reviews for Bears Den Restaurant

Reviewed February 23, 2014

The most over-priced Sunday Brunch in Calgary? The omelet station ONLY offers regular omelets, with 5 very basic ingredients; no spinach, nor ham nor any seafood; no egg white option nor simple whole eggs!! My wife could not eggs over easy! How basic is this?
Goes downhill after this. The rest of the hot dishes? Sausages, dry cubed potatoes, good crispy bacon, scrambled eggs, pancakes. THAT's IT!!! How can one call this a Sunday brunch? I think a Motel 6 would offer more choices? 6 different basic pastries were offered, along with 3 different BOXED cold cereals! (Looking more like Motel 6). They did offer 5 different fresh fruits, 2 pies from Safeway (could be from Co-Op) and an ice cream. All this for $28!!! Motel 6 would offer you free with a rented room or Denny's may charge you $9.99. Come on Bears Den, you are under new management or ownership, you won't continue to be in business with this type of offering at this price. Oh, one more thing, bring flash lights, it is dark as you are in a den.

2  Thank cowboydanno
Reviewed February 16, 2014

We decided on the Bears Den after the restaurant we picked for our anniversary dinner was closed because they had no power after the floods in June 2013. I guess we went in with lofty expectations since the Bears Den is reputedly, fine dining.

Right off the start things didn't go well. We had to wait for service, had to ask for water, etc. We ordered a bottle of white wine and had to ask for an Ice Bucket to keep it cool. The appetizers turned out to be the best part of the meal. My wife's steak was brought to her cold, the veggies seemed overcooked. My lamb lacked seasoning and was done too rare for my liking.

Dinner for two with a bottle of wine totaled $170.00. For that kind of money there are far better places in Calgary to dine at. Thumbs down to the Bears Den.

2  Thank Jim T
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The Bearsden stopped serving the tasty Sunday lunch /brunch they had become well known for last October. This lunch was of high quality featuring small delicious delicacies like tender lamb chops,seafood, steak, all making the rounds,dim sum style for diners to select or wait for the next culinary treat to emerge from the kitchen!
How disappointed our family group was in our pre Christmas meal a few weeks ago!
Unfortunately this delightful eating experience has been replaced by a very poor quality buffet of overcooked dried out eggs Benedict,and tough tasteless sausages . Regretfully this fare is not worth the inflated prices. We will go elsewhere next time!

2  Thank Sheila O
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner here for our wedding anniversary. The food was amazing but our we felt the service was sub par. We likely won't be back.

1  Thank Manitobatravels