“Don't Let the Exterior Fool You”
Review of Bears Den Restaurant - CLOSED

Bears Den Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bahamian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Crowchild & Bearspaw Rd.
Description: Warm cherry wood walls, crackling fire, crystal, crisp linens, great steaks, fresh fish and wild game...Bears Den is a one of a kind restaurant in North West Calgary.
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I never expected a place who's closest landmark is "Bears Paw Gas" to look so elegant inside!
We were there for our anniversary and judging by the food we enjoyed, I think the whole menu is worth a try.
Our server was lovely. She suggested wine pairings for each course which were all so good, we were on the Willow Park website the next day sourcing them out.
This is one of those restaurants that makes you feel like you're at a Gentleman's Club (the good kind). The server treated us as though made we had the table for the night.
It's not cheap, but it's worth it for a special occasion.
Note: we saw it all done up for Christmas and its spectacular. Great for a company Christmas party.

2  Thank AlyssaSaturley

Reviewed May 19, 2013

My partner and I went to the Bears Den for a snack after a round of golf. We had been anticipating going to this place for a while because of all the great things we had heard. Well, it delivered.

Our server, Kim L I believe, was amazing! She was attentive, full of suggestions, friendly, and easy to converse with.

We were just in for a snack so we shared the charcuterie to start. It was great! I believe that they make all of their own meat as well. Normally I don't even like duck pate that much but I couldn't get enough of this stuff.

For the main, we shared the gnocchi. Wow, mushroom with a cream sauce (and truffle of course) that certainly delivered. The gnocchi was crisped on either side and cut into smaller portions which is exactly what I'd prefer. No one wants the big gobs of soggy gnocchi. Oh, and the kitchen split it in two for us because they knew we were sharing, thanks!

The dining room isn't that fun but it is what I expected and there is nothing wrong with that. A warm, darker, more comfortable feel with a fireplace or two and an outdoorsy feel - after all it is called Bears Den.

Given the brief but great experience I had, I would recommend this place in a second. I can't wait to get back and sample the rest of the menu!

2  Thank Kevin F
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Mothers Day was our third visit and agian it was a great experience, albeit service can be off abit. When you order wine you expect proper presentation and tasting prior to it being poured but that wasn't the case here, but everybody can make amistake.

The food was excellent in presentaion, taste and cooked perfectly. We started with the Bears Den Delicay, a three tiered presentation of smoked sausages, meats and seafood served with in house made preserves. What a taste treat and there was more than enough to satisfy 3 diners. Our mains were Pan Roasted Salmon, Seared Ahi Tuna Steak and Alberta Rack of Lamb, all were cooked to perfection and rivaled any of the red meat offerings as favourites.
Dessert well you can't go wrong with any selection. Complimented by an extensive and varied wine and liquor list the Bears Den is a complete dining experience. A favourite for sure!!

1  Thank BagelAlberta_Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We recently stopped back at the Bears Den and were pleased to see how busy it is. We enjoyed a great dinner in front of the fireplace in the bistro side as opposed to the dining room side which is more formal but great for those more special dinners.
The service was very good as was the food which looks like the same menu as the dining room. Great wine list too.
The only issue is how loud it can get particularly when a few obnoxious golfers from a nearby golf course visited tables they knew. This is a restaurant with people having nice dinners not the parking lot of the golf course. I wish management would have suggested he sit down or speaker less loud.
A plus is that they have entertainment and dancing on weekends and in this part of the city there are very few that do.

1  Thank Bernie G
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We went to the Bear's Den to celebrate a special occasion. I had been several years earlier and had great memories so was very excited to go! Unfortunately our server was a complete dud and did not have proper fine dining table ettiquette. We ordered three different types of wine throughout our meal and not once were we offered a taste of the wine before it was served. Also, each meal was "plunked" down in front of each guest, and when one diner asked for a slight modification she was told "no" without any explanation.

However, every aspect of the meal itself was delicious. I ordered mushroom soup, bison tenderloin, a side of beets, and chocolate souffle for dessert. Everything was cooked perfectly and came to the table very warm.

Bottom Line: If you live close to the Bear's Den and have the money to spend, go and enjoy the food. But be warned about the service! However, if it is a far drive for you, or stretches the budget, skip this restaurant.

2  Thank AprilMaureen