“Black and White Roll!”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mission
“Black and White Roll!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Great little sushi restaurant with good service in Calgary. Cool little hipster decor. Try the Black and White roll. A mondo roll...super fresh roll of salmon and crunchy tempura bits...soooo good I crave it every day!
love this little place!!!!

Calgary
“First Time Having Sushi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I went to Towa sushi last night for my cousins birthday. I've never had sushi before and I have to say Towa was a great first experience. I fell in love with the Spicy Salmon roll it was amazinggggg. We threw back lots of sake which is a lot smoother then other places I've tried. The yam tempura taste great! =) The restaurant is really cute and quiet inside. It's quite small and can get busy. We went on a saturday night at 7 and couldn't get a table. 9:30pm on Saturday is a better time to go if you have a large group. The portions are big and it's very inexpensive. For 6 of us the bill worked out to 45 each (including tip and drinks) and we had a ton of food left over. 20-25 each could go a long way too. The full sizes of sushi come with 8 rolls. My advice would to order as you go through out the evening to avoid ordering too much.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank tanisha_cherry
“LOVE IT”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I must say that Towa is definitely my favorite sushi place in Calgary. I'm not someone who only eats sushi once a month, more like once a week and we almost always end up back at Towa. I've tried to expand my horizons by visiting other sushi places in town, and there are many good ones, but comparison always comes down to Towa being the best. The Miso soup is AMAZING, as are the spicy salmon/tuna tempura rolls. Soooooooo good. The rolls are huge so you end up really filling up. The location can't be beat - we always sit against the window and watch the people/traffic go by through Mission. It's a great place and we've always had good service. I will be back, over and over again.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank srude
Calgary, AB
“Always a good time here”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

Towa is one of my favourite restaurants and having been a long-time patron, I decided I should finally write a review about them. It also gave me a reason to gather up some friends and head down to Towa so enjoy a good meal. :o)

The restaurant is nestled in the heart of the trendy and popular neighborhood, Mission. The first impression upon entering is that restaurant is modern and cozy. The décor also has an IKEA feel as you will likely recognize some of the iconic IKEA pieces in the restaurant. The lighting is also a bit dim which can make reading the menu slightly difficult, especially when it’s dark outside. The staff are real Japanese people, which I love, but that also makes communicating a bit onerous as their English is not always the best.

Towa doesn’t take reservations and can get busy on weekend nights during prime dining hours. They are really good about taking down your number so you can take a stroll around the neighborhood and they’ll call you when your table is ready.

Towa is known for its sushi rolls: the fact that they’re larger than your typical sushi restaurant and also the unique combinations and varieties. The menu features 20+ different “contemporary” rolls along with seasonal specials. The rolls range from $11 – 18 but when you see the large portion sizes, you’ll understand why. My favourite is the spicy salmon roll with the rainbow roll not far behind. The rolls are always fresh with an appropriate ratio of rice to filling.

I’ve read reviews of people lamenting over the difficulty of eating the rolls due to their large size. I honestly have never had that much difficulty eating their rolls. I wouldn’t worry too much about it falling apart since that’s what good sushi is all about anyway!

Some other Towa favourites are: agedashi tofu, assorted tempura, black and white roll, and the unagi roll. And if you still have room afterwards, definitely go for the tempura green tea ice cream. I’ve had it numerous times and it’s made to perfection with a thin crispy batter on the outside which juxtaposes the cool soft green tea ice cream on the inside.

Another successful meal at Towa!

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank Esther K
Calgary, Canada
“What can I say, place is poor”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Went a few weeks ago with my wife for dinner. We're not huge sushi eaters, but like to try a new place every once in a while. We've already been to nearby spots (Hana, Kawa) but never this spot. Summary of the experience...

Atmosphere - just ok, odd lighting, felt like the table next to us was an inch away so competing conversations going on.

Service - the young wait staff seemed very inexperienced. Had to grab server for refill of water or beer as she kept walking by us avoiding any eye contact whatsoever, on several occasions.

Food - who wants to eat rolls in 2 or 3 bites? Not me, makes for a messy & frustrating experience. And quite honestly, the tempura inside the roll looked like overly deep fried mystery meat...not shrimp

Won't be back, and will happily stick to Hana or Globefish

• Visited April 2012